Re: Watchmen

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Yeah, except for the Japanese (and German and Italian)-American citizens we threw into work camps because we were mad at them for taking our jobs.

Or the American Muslims that were harassed for no particular reason after 9/11, and the thousands of foreign Muslims who were bombed and imprisoned but hadn't committed any actual crimes.

Or how the Japanese committed atrocities on Koreans and Chinese and prisoners of war.    Or the way the Germans and Soviets heaped atrocities upon each other's civilian populations. And apparently there was some unpleasantness with the Jews as well.

And so on ad infinitem for all of human history.

Again, that's the point.   Humans will unite against the "other", though that "other" can change over time, even from one day to the next.     

Give all of humanity an "other" and thus unite them all, that was Ozy's plan.

Last edited by Trey (2010-05-18 03:54:34)

BrianFinifter wrote:

And I meant protagonist. I suppose you could consider this a pointless semantic argument, but the definition of the protagonist is the prime mover of the events of the story. Since it's Ozzy's plan and he's the one causing these events, he's more of the protagonist, while Night Owl and Rorschach (and the others) are his antagonists.

That's not what a protagonist is. The protagonist is the character the audience is intended to follow, be invested in, and have sympathy for. That's Dan and Laurie. By your definition, every Bond villain is a protagonist. However, sometimes the protagonist is an anti-hero—someone you do not much like and maybe even want to see foiled, like Tony Soprano.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Trey wrote:
Zarban wrote:

Let's take it down to a human level: you and Teague are threatening to kill each other and each other's entire families. So I kill your grandmas.

At which point I would bet Brian and Teague would  forget their argument and come for you.   Which is exactly the idea behind Ozy's plan, to give the whole world a common enemy to unite against.

Right, but it's still a miserable idea for me to kill their grandmas. I should obviously kill Teague and Brian themselves. (And Kissinger! Don't forget Kissinger!) Or better still take their weapons away. Human nature or not, George Washington and George III did not start a nuclear war.

But it's also actually NOT human nature. In the twenty or so years since Watchmen was published, we've stood well down from nuclear war and probably will never use nuclear weapons (we've done a pretty good job avoiding nerve gas and such). It really was Nixon (a few like him) that was the problem.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-18 04:31:54)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

That's not what a protagonist is. The protagonist is the character the audience is intended to follow, be invested in, and have sympathy for. That's Dan and Laurie. By your definition, every Bond villain is a protagonist. However, sometimes the protagonist is an anti-hero—someone you do not much like and maybe even want to see foiled, like Tony Soprano.

Or Michael Corleone or Tony Montana or Scottie Ferguson or Robert Angier or Colonel Nicholson or Captain Queeg or Charles Foster Kane or Lestat or Fred Dobbs or Brundel Fly or Jack Torrance or.....

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...John Constantine.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been taught that the actual definition of protagonist is the prime mover of the events of the story. In my screenwriting class, my teacher used Noah Cross in Chinatown as an example, Gittes may be the main character, but it's Cross that's causing the story to happen, even though he's a supporting character compared to Gittes in terms of screen time.

Shrug

Take it for what you will.

By that logic, the protagonist of any monster movie is the monster, the protagonist of a murder mystery is the murderer, and the protagonist of 2012 is explosions.

The protagonist is our proxy in the story, the one we follow and experience the story with, and the one who experiences the change that we are supposed to vicariously experience with them. Which means the protagonist is almost always the main character.

One exception I can think of is V for Vendetta -- we have dual protagonists in Evey and the police inspector, but the "main character" is clearly V.

Where there's some nuance in the definition is that the protagonist is not necessarily the hero of the piece -- s/he can sometimes be the villain.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's not really that simple, either. If you look at a film like Babel, you can see that a movie can have either numerous protagonists or no protagonist at all, depending on how you choose to interpret the word. There's clearly a story there, but it's not of the form "this person did these things" or "these things happened to this person." Nor is it really as simple as "there are several stories happening in this movie" either.

But whatever. That's film-school wankery at its finest.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I don't know. Though I think the definition is more (only?) valid in the context of a crime or mystery story. They, by their very nature, are neatly setup as opposing forces. One party is committing a crime/hatching an evil plot while the other is trying to solve the crime/foil the evil plot. Thus, your view of protagonist/antagonist could go either way, depending only on which point of view you use to tell your story. Go from the criminal's point of view and you get Ocean's 11. Go from the detective's and you get Chinatown.

Everyone knows that Manhattan's penis is the protagonist.

Loved the commentary on this one. I really enjoy Watchmen even though I've never read the book.

I do need to though smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I try to read it once a year, but I never got around to it last year, so that means I need to read it twice this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Game Of Thrones discussion sparked something in the back of my brain, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) would make an amazing Ozymandias. He has the look, and the general I know everything and I know it sort of smugness to him.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

After reading about how the government is reluctant / unable to prosecute anyone responsible for the GFC, I could see a new type of 21st superhero that takes down Wall Street bankers, etc.

Rather than worrying about knife-crime in dark alleyways, a smart billionaire vigilante like Niteowl / Batman should be tackling the ultimate cause of crime e.g. poverty, inequality, etc - rather than the symptoms.

Is there such thing as a superhero that tackles white-collar crime e.g. hedge fund managers who bet against their clients, Madoff type of Ponzi scheme charlatans, those who award themselves massive bonuses after running their companies into the ground and receiving government assistance, auditors who assess risky portfolios of investments as safe, crooks who receive Presidential pardons at the end of term, negligent drone operators, generals who push for illegal invasions with no post-war planning that kills/displaces hundreds of thousands?

In the commentary, you guys spoke about how Rorschach was the ultimate far right-wing vigilante. Is there a left-wing equivalent in comic books?

Last edited by avatar (2013-12-20 16:06:12)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the commentary, you guys spoke about how Rorschach was a the ultimate far right-wing vigilante. Is there a left-wing equivalent in comic books?

That's really interesting. Now that I think of it, a lot of superheroes are pretty conservative. In the current Marvel movies, Captain America and Iron Man are very opposed to government overreach. In the comics, Iron Man is more liberal, I guess. He supported the government during Civil War.

Magneto is pretty liberal, I guess. He's super concerned with social reform and equality for minorities. Most of the X-Men are similarly liberal. Batman may be a billionaire, but he's anti-gun and usually anti-death penalty. Isn't Green Arrow pretty liberal too?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the commentary, you guys spoke about how Rorschach was the ultimate far right-wing vigilante. Is there a left-wing equivalent in comic books?

It probably depends on your definition, and the time period. Left-wing often means anti-status quo, and a superhero in that vein would be fighting the police and government more often than not. Catwoman, maybe?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gail SImone's The Movement probably qualifies.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Green Arrow's whole thing is that he's a super liberal.

That's why he dresses like Robin Hood and goes after corporations.

Last edited by Kyle (2013-12-23 10:00:15)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fun fact: if you search for Watchmen, this thread is the last thing that comes up.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen the "Ultimate" version of the movie, the one that edits in the Tales of the Black Freighter. It's a choice between buying that for $25 on DVD, or the Uncut version on Blu Ray.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Fun fact: if you search for Watchmen, this thread is the last thing that comes up.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen the "Ultimate" version of the movie, the one that edits in the Tales of the Black Freighter. It's a choice between buying that for $25 on DVD, or the Uncut version on Blu Ray.

I went for Ultimate, just because as the collector's item I like to get the most complete/closest to the original source material version. I don't know that I'd call it the quintessential version because it is really, really long but unlike some other special editions (like Aliens) I didn't think that any of the added content on its own detracted from the movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So the animated segments are integrated well?

Thumbs up Thumbs down