Re: Game of Thrones (TV Discussion | SPOILERS)

BigDamnArtist wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

...instead of the "fuck yeah Stannis" moment it should be.

Wait...are we supposed to be cheering for Stannis?? He's dull and an asshole, worse than that he's a dull asshole. If you asked me to tell you Stannis's plotline, I would get about as far as "Dull guy looks out on grey landscape and moans about not being king." Before I run out of things to say. The only thing that makes his entire storyline worth anything is Davos and the Red Woman, and even she isn't actually doing anything these days outside of staring mysteriously at random people and then disappearing.

Stannis is the only one who actually pays attention to the one true threat the Seven Kingdoms are facing: what's coming from the North. That's what makes his arrival badass in the books, but the way it was handled in the show was a bit underwhelming.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor, unfortunately I'm working, sorry. Would be fun.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I heard no hype going into it and I thought the finale was very good. The Brienne/Hound fight was brutal and intense. I was on the edge of my seat. I just wish I knew what Arya's deal was when the Hound was laying there, dying. I didn't understand why she didn't kill him, or even speak. Can anyone shed more light on that (in a non-spoilery way)?

I really wanted Tyrion to pull that trigger on Tywin, but I'm afraid he's going a little crazy town banana pants on us.

The good news is that it seems like we may get a lot more time with Varys next season. Of course, those could be the famous last words before they kill him off in the second episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Stannis is the only one who actually pays attention to the one true threat the Seven Kingdoms are facing: what's coming from the North. That's what makes his arrival badass in the books, but the way it was handled in the show was a bit underwhelming.

Yeeeaaah, a dull character isn't going to get a pass from me because he happens to notice something happening. If he did ANYTHING for the first 9 episodes of this season I might feel differently, but he was a dull character for 9 episodes and then did something in the last episode that either wasn't established or I managed to accidentally sleep through the setup for. And the few things he does "do". going to Braavos... um... I'm sure there are others, HE doesn't actually do anything, Davos does all the talking, Davos goes and finds the pirates, the Red Woman...looks sultry and... I'm sure she does other stuff too. The sum total of Stannis this season has been him looking stern in the background, saying a half a line, and then whinning like a child "Shuuuut uuuup, I totally am the real King of Westeros guuuys."

He's not interesting to watch and I have absolutely zero interest in anything happening in his plotline. Maybe there's a really great character that somehow got buried under all that, but whoever that guy is, he's not on screen.

Anyways... just so this post isn't completely negative.

The skeleton fight was flipping amazing, the Hound-Brienne fight was intense, Arya is going down a very very dark path and I love it (Since Maisie did her interview about how she really hopes people will see where she's going and realize it's not good, and not just continue to love her cause "Awe, it's Arya, we love Arya." I've been looking forward to seeing where she's going.", the small scene between John and the wildling captive (can't remember his name) about Ygritte was really really well done, Tyrion going Terminator mode was amazing, I was really hoping he'd go full terminator for a bit, take out half the family and then dissappear, but alas.

Like I said before, there's some really really great scenes, but taken as a whole it just felt lacking for a season finale.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-17 22:39:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sam F wrote:

I just wish I knew what Arya's deal was when the Hound was laying there, dying. I didn't understand why she didn't kill him, or even speak. Can anyone shed more light on that (in a non-spoilery way)?

There's nothing really there to spoil - assuming you mean that something could happen later to explain it.  It's all there on screen already.  Arya and the Hound had one seriously messed-up relationship.  Maybe in the end she liked him just a bit too much to kill him after all.  Or maybe she still hated him enough to let him suffer.  The book suggests it's more of the latter, but I like that the show left it more vague.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Between virtually every book reader I know sniggering to themselves and telling me they knew exactly what shot was going end this season for the past 4 months, and it was going to blow everyone's mind, I was expecting more.

Trey wrote:

Wait'll you see what they do for Mother's Day next year...  wink

Trey, I'm going to call you on being part of the problem here. It's not just about spoiling plot points (of which you have revealed none), it's about spoiling the experience by building expectations the show has not. Let's keep our snickers in the other thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Sam F wrote:

I just wish I knew what Arya's deal was when the Hound was laying there, dying. I didn't understand why she didn't kill him, or even speak. Can anyone shed more light on that (in a non-spoilery way)?

There's nothing really there to spoil - assuming you mean that something could happen later to explain it.  It's all there on screen already.  Arya and the Hound had one seriously messed-up relationship.  Maybe in the end she liked him just a bit too much to kill him after all.  Or maybe she still hated him enough to let him suffer.  The book suggests it's more of the latter, but I like that the show left it more vague.

In my head, she was spending a long time debating whether to let him suffer or get the satisfaction of killing him herself. If it was just to suffer, she might've left sooner. But then she also knew that doing nothing was driving him crazy, and she liked that, so...

Anyway. Really dark path and I love it and am also very afraid of her.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Phi wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

Between virtually every book reader I know sniggering to themselves and telling me they knew exactly what shot was going end this season for the past 4 months, and it was going to blow everyone's mind, I was expecting more.

Trey wrote:

Wait'll you see what they do for Mother's Day next year...  wink

Trey, I'm going to call you on being part of the problem here. It's not just about spoiling plot points (of which you have revealed none), it's about spoiling the experience by building expectations the show has not. Let's keep our snickers in the other thread.

For what it's worth, I saw that as a joke, nothing more. I'm not expecting anything crazy on Mother's Day next year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nor am I.  I was just going for the easy joke.  smile

Sam F wrote:

I heard no hype going into it and I thought the finale was very good. The Brienne/Hound fight was brutal and intense. I was on the edge of my seat. I just wish I knew what Arya's deal was when the Hound was laying there, dying. I didn't understand why she didn't kill him, or even speak. Can anyone shed more light on that (in a non-spoilery way)?

Running around with The Hound has taught her a bunch about self-preservation in the face of the futility of existence, but to what end? She is driven by her sense of justice and retribution. She has seen the amount of suffering he has inflicted on the world, and finds it fitting that The Hound will die in agony.

Look at the Waiting for Godot scene. McGovern is the Hound's foil. He spent his life upholding the social contract, "You give me. I give you. Fair. A balance." He gets mercy. "Time to go."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm almost caught up on this show. I've been quite impressed with how often the show re-aligns with the books after its divergences (e.g. Ramsay and Theon). Also, the finality of Robb Stark Jnr at the Red Wedding poses an interesting question for those of us who have spent the last 10 years hoping that Jeyne Westerling was carrying his child.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

...instead of the "fuck yeah Stannis" moment it should be.

Wait...are we supposed to be cheering for Stannis?? He's dull and an asshole, worse than that he's a dull asshole.

Yeah. There are a lot of 'book Stannis' fans who have been upset about this for a long time. The tone of his arrival in the north is the inevitable result of the showrunners changing the character. Stannis is supposed to be a lot like Ned Stark: honorable, loyal, obedient, conventional, and...boring to many people. The show Stannis is made more creepy with his Red Woman attachment. He is more whiny about being king. He is portrayed as a negligent husband and father (rather than someone who is a bit cold and very concerned with doing what is proper). In short, HBO Stannis has been built to be a menace and it is hard to reverse that to make him a savior and ally.

In my view, Stannis in the book IS a menace. But, he is not meant to be overtly menacing. There is no malice in what he does. He is unforgiving and an implacable adversary. And, as Jon Snow is trying to rally the Watch, Stannis' arrival is both helpful and hindering. It's great to have more fighters. But, Stannis' motives are in question in the show (in the book, I recall it being less of a calculated power grab and more of a 'that's what the kingdom needs most').

As Stannis believes he is supposed to be king, they are heading to a direct conflict. I think the reader is meant to wonder who would be a better king: Jon, emotional and inexperienced but a good guy; or Stannis, emotionless and experienced, can be a bastard if it is necessary.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

I always liked Stannis, 'cause for the most part, he says what he plans to do and why, and then he does it. I find him refreshingly straightforward.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

In the books, Davos' POV chapters help a lot to sympathize with Stannis. The Onion Knight truly loves him.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a great passage in one of the books where Stannis basically comes out and says, look I don't WANT to be king at all, but by every law in the book, I'm supposed to be king.  I don't wanna do it, but without the law we have nothing and so I'm just doing my part.  He's not wrong, of course.  The book also has a great analogy of the three Baratheon boys where someone is comparing them to different metals.  Renly is described as Copper, shiny to look at and pliant to the people, but not strong enough for real combat.  Stannis is described as Iron, rigid, inflexible, and ultimately brittle because of it.  Robert is described as the true alloy, the steel that neither of the others were.  He had charisma and was loved by the people, but he was also tough as shit and could fight for the crown.  Robert was an awful King, but its hinted heavily that he was probably the best possibility of the three in the long run.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Robert was too consumed with his lost love and the unhappiness of his union with Cersei (and his children) to become a good king. The way everyone talks about the Greyjoy Rebellion, that seems like the high point of his reign, everyone together fighting against a house none of them especially liked. Also, Robert was a warrior king without a war to fight.

However, that said. He wasn't that awful, his reign was pretty long and he kept the peace for almost twenty years.

Last edited by redxavier (2014-09-08 20:58:28)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jp12x wrote:

I think the reader is meant to wonder who would be a better king: Jon, emotional and inexperienced but a good guy; or Stannis, emotionless and experienced, can be a bastard if it is necessary.

clap

Ok, so the show is pretty much at that point it's passing the books. I'm not sure how I want to continue, mainly because there are some big events coming (particularly in the North) which I would much prefer reading. And whilst, yes, the show is its effectively its own thing, there are some currently hanging book resolutions that must be spoiled by the show. Not necessarily how they happen, but the what happens.

And that's the question. Anyhow else having this dilemma?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have not read the books, nor do I paticularly have any intense deisre too, so no.

However, re: last episode, not a whole lot to say, it remains good, Dragon effects were probably the shakiest I've ever seen this show. Some serious Philosophers Stone Quidditch vibes going on there.

But holy, can we all give a round of applause for Kerry Ingram please? That was incredible, in a bone chilling, I can't believe how horrifying this is, sort of way.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-06-08 22:36:11)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think this is the first time they've blown one of their season enders. Shoulda budgeted for the dragon FX, it's super weird when you follow up an episode that would look great as a feature film, with FX that would barely pass muster on network TV 10 years ago. Very disappointing

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, not a season ender yet. One more to go.

But yeah, still, to go straight from the zombie fight to that was a bit weird.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I thought the dragon looked fine.

But that burning scene is by far the worst they've done.

As in, I don't mind the show following the books, on the contrary, I enjoy it, but Stannis Baratheon should have a long and painful death. That scene made my stomach turn and drew tears from my eyes, a feat no other digital medium has done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was so dumb. Stannis' primary character trait is "does not compromise." Dude stayed holed up in Storm's End for over a year eating rats because he wouldn't give it up to the sieging soldiers. But now he loses some food and he's immediately prepared to make THE BIGGEST COMPROMISE POSSIBLE? Two weeks after unilaterally declaring that he would not do it?

I think there's a version of this that works, but they need to actually develop Stannis' devolution into madness. Not have him do an instant heel-turn at the first sign of trouble. And most of Stannis' soldiers aren't Lord of Light followers. Why are they all just standing there? Presumably next week we'll find out that some of them abandoned the cause after this. If not...wow. This fucking show.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya I've been pretty on board with most of the book to show changes, but this one feels like character assassination. There's just not nearly enough time devoted to it for Stannis to make that choice. It's clearly meant to parallel The Illiad, where the king sacrifices his daughter to the gods for favorable weather so they can sail to and attack Troy, but it feels like it comes out of nowhere on the show.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

To be fair, they have been laying the groundwork for a while. Shereen specifically was first mentioned a few episodes ago and Mel has been noting the power of King's blood since the early days.

I find it to be a step too far for Stannis, and although there is a heavy foreshadowing of sacrifice in the mythology surrounding what Stannis is supposed to be in the story (or rather what Mel believes him to be) I just think the show has solidified its own portrayal of Stannis as a baddie.

The problem there is that I don't quite agree with that reading of Stannis, him turning up at the wall and defeating Mance's army is an awesome and heroic moment in the books but in the show it's almost sinister. So, that they have gone that way is interesting and possibly revealing about book Stannis' ultimate direction. After all, can a Stannis that burns his daughter be a Stannis that is a hero in the story?

Thumbs up Thumbs down