What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS.

Holy shit.

same.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Hannibal

This show is so god damn great. I swear to God. I wasn't expecting any of this. It's like the showrunner grabbed my head, smashed it through my monitor and said "Read the title of the show again, motherfucker. Read it.".

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So I found some of season 2 to be kind of slow, but I didn't care that much because watching Hannibal cook and interact with everyone else is far more compelling than most of the shit on TV nowadays. But this finale.

Holy fucking shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The show has never been grounded in reality. There's always been an element of magical realism and dream logic to the show. I think you have to let go of that to get the most out of it.

I've never thought there was any magical realism in this show, but dream logic, sure. That's part of what makes this a psychological thriller. This is a show about occupying and manipulating other people's head space. I get it, and I love it.

But it's also a procedural crime drama set in the real world; not everybody should be sleeping.

I get that this season was focused on a fantastical battle of wills between Will and Hannibal, but I wanted there to be more of a contrast between that and reality, which is what I liked about season one. That contrast gets removed in S2E4, and that's pretty much the last we ever see of it. So for me, the show just wasn't as interesting, despite the fact that it was still successful.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not sure that it is set in the "real world." Bryan Fuller has mentioned in the past that this incarnation of Hannibal Lecter could literally be the devil in human form. Not metaphorically. LITERALLY. Or if you don't like that explanation, how about this? The show is told through the eyes of Will and Hannibal, two incredibly disturbed individuals. Their perspectives skew towards the fantastical. That's why we don't see much of "reality."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I'm not sure that it is set in the "real world." Bryan Fuller has mentioned in the past that this incarnation of Hannibal Lecter could literally be the devil in human form. Not metaphorically. LITERALLY.

If that's the case, then I have some major problems with the execution of this concept to the point where it would kill much of my enjoyment of this series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Hmm--see, I'm a big fan of the first two books/films (Hannibal the movie/book is an abomination), and that element definitely isn't present in those. D'you think it's still easy for a prior fan to get over that tone shift and enjoy the show?

I'm also a big fan of the first two books, and I have really enjoyed watching this show.

As for the fantasy elements, I can see why it ungrounds the tone for people. However, I watched Manhunter a few days ago, and whenever Will is talking out loud, alone, describing the killers thoughts and motivations, it comes across as so, so corny. (Which is saying a lot. Manhunter is like the 80s had sex with itself and called the child "the 80s"). I think the fantasy tone for the crime scene reconstruction works a lot better. So that made it easier for me to accept that tone in Will's headspace and the rest of the show.

And I'm certainly looking forward to season 3.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Ok, you guys were right. Hannibal Season 2 is up there as one of the finest seasons of television, and the finale might be the best hour of television I've ever seen. Fuuuuuuuck

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-06-30 08:51:35)

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Looks like the show still got it.

Hannibal S03E02 Show
The Abigail thing was great. I accepted that they had both made it (even though it didn't feel quite believable at first), and they took her away again, in a beautiful way. I've always loved how the series has a way of showing Will's mind, blurring reality and dream. It's still there all right. At no point in this episode did I completely trust what was going on, and this is exactly what a Will-centered episode should do. It certainly is a solid second episode, after last week's opening which felt like a somewhat bland recap/setup episode.

I'm getting excited for this season.

PS: another thing the show keeps being is sick. The multilated body coming to life and transforming into the stag was almost unbearable.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-06-12 22:53:55)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I continue to adore this show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rewatched the first 2 seasons this week.

The first time I binge-watched, and I remember there being standalones and character-driven episodes, with some overlap. But now, paying more attention (and no more sleep-deprived than usual), I totally see that every episode is character-driven and has thematic resonance, just sometimes more subtle than other times.

I am firmly putting the 2nd season of Hannibal up there with the 3rd season of Breaking Bad and the 5th/7th seasons of The Shield.

I mean, godDAMN. I so desperately want this show to get all 6 seasons they've planned for. I am SUPER excited for this season (enjoyed first two episodes this season, looking forward to the rest.)

Last edited by Herc (2015-06-13 03:45:47)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Oh NBC.
http://i.imgur.com/8LdMkRi.gif

Hoping it finds a home on another network. Alternatively... I've got a coupla hundred bucks. Josh, care to chip in?

The first thing I thought when I saw the announcement was "Shit, Doc's gonna spontaneously combust."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At this point  the size & zeal of the fan base probably occupies that (Arrested Development) sweet spot that will coax another channel/platform into picking up the series.  I hope.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i'm fine, we're all fine, everything is fine

*sets self on fire*

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Holy crap. Loved the finale. And I think the final moment, after giving it some thought, was quite, quite brilliant.

Maybe a spoiler, but not really?

Show
The sexual tension between Will & Hannibal was SO strong that I really, genuinely thought they were gonna make out.

Last edited by Herc (2015-08-28 05:31:37)