Re: Game of Thrones (TV Discussion | SPOILERS)

Here is the problem guys. For some reason people think Stannis is supposed to be a good guy.

If that's what he is in the books fine. But in the show he is CLEARLY not a good guy. He is horrible human being. Like seriously, this entire time, he's THE WORST.

Every move Stannis has made has been with one single objective. His ass on the iron throne. That is his all consuming need. And he will sacrifice anything and everything to get it, because he thinks he is supposed to be the captial K, King. He's allied himself with dark magic because he thinks it can help him, been willing to sacrifice his entire army to take King's Landing despite having been beat AND is willing to sacrifice his entire army to take Winterfell. I mean he launched a freaking demon sex monster to kill his brother cause the dude also wanted to be king.

By this point he is pretty desperate. Like really. He might be blinded by desire for the throne, but he's not an idiot. he knows they can't make it with what they have now, but he WILL NOT stop. Absolutely not. Even the thought of turning back disgusts him. He's lost too many battles already. So he listens to the witch in his ear, and makes another sacrifice in the name of his throne. It's not easy, it's not fair, but if it's what it takes to get him to the throne, then he'll make it.

As you said Doc, his primary trait is "Does not compromise". Well, his ass is going on that throne. No matter the cost.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-06-10 16:41:26)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

His brother was an enemy combatant. Renly knew that his life was on the line if he continued to fight in the war. Shireen was an innocent bystander.

I think you're generally right BDA, but also consider that Shireen is his only heir. Even if the sacrifice works and he wins the throne, he has nothing once he dies. The Baratheon name dies with him now. He's sacrificed his legacy to win a single battle. What a moron. bullet is right, it's character assassination.

They've definitely been setting this up all season, but they've been explicitly indicating that Mel or Selyse would do it without Stannis' consent. That would have been just as horrifying and in-line with the arc.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So...gonna get a bit bookish here without spoiling anything, but I think it's worth mentioning. 

We know one thing for certain: Shireen will die in this manner in Winds of Winter.  Benioff and Weiss said as much when GRRM confirmed it to them in the now infamous 3 day weekend of note taking two years ago.  Here's how I don't think it's character assassination in the books, but am having a hard time how we're supposed to feel that way about the show.

All throughout Dance With Dragons (book, not episode) Melisendre goes on at length about how Shireen is a dead girl walking.  That Greyscale never really goes away, it can just lay dormant and that sooner then later it would not only claim her, but everyone around her.  This is aided by the fact that in DwD, Mel is now a POV character.  Characters lie to each other all the time, but never to the reader.  She's been right more often than not, and she truly believes everything she says to Stannis.  Throughout the other books, they talk about the process of legitimizing bastard children, and that Stannis always has time to MAKE an heir.  This, again, is aided by the fact that everyone is aged down in the books.  Dany is 15, same with Jon Snow, Ned was 36 at the time of his beheading, and he was the same age as Robert.  This places Stannis somewhere in his early 30's.  PLENTY of time to make an heir, if not with Selyse, than with some other woman, and Selyse would be more than happy to claim it was hers. 

Now, as for burning Shireen, that lovely scene with them a few episodes back where everyone was all, "best dad ever!"  That never happened in the books.  In fact, we never really see Stannis have much emotion towards anyone or anything.  The most emotion we EVER see him display is when he's talking to Davos and angrily says, "You think I asked to be king?"  In that moment he explains how he really doesn't want to be.  But it's his DUTY to be as Robert's younger brother.  That's how black and white this guy is.  He has to take that responsibility. 

But...that doesn't really come across in the show, now does it?  I'm very curious to 1) see how Shireens death is handled in WoW, and also to see how the show grapples with Stannis from here on out.  Both will be interesting.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I don't think it's out of character for Stannis, the first time we meet him he's burning half of Dragonstone.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I don't think this is out of character for Stannis at all.  To me, Stannis comes across as a guy who truly desires always to do the "right thing" - but that's different for different people, isn't it?

Unlike others who want the Iron Throne, my impression is that Stannis isn't seeking power for its own sake - he truly believes he is the rightful heir, is all.  He doesn't want to be King - more like he honestly believes he should be.  He went to war against his own brother for trying to usurp the throne when Stannis was next in succession.   

And also unlike others, he really seems to get that winter is coming and the real battle is yet to be fought.  The way he's been portrayed in the entire series is mostly a dogged, resigned trudge to getting this civil war over with as fast as possible, by whatever means he has available.

Not to mention - he's a religious fanatic.  Or at least a true believer - and he ought to be because the Fire God actually does deliver if you pay the toll.  Hell, I saw how Renly died, I believe in the Fire God too. 

So - Stannis is in a bad place.  He's going to lose the war he believes he must win for the good of all.  The Fire God (via Melisandre) says, I can bail you out - but this one's gonna cost you.   As the honorable man Stannis tries to be, and thinks he is, how can he NOT make that sacrifice?  It's not about him, it's about the greater good.    If Stannis can continue on his righteous quest then he did the right thing, by his definition.

Now, the REAL gut punch would be... if the Fire God doesn't make good.  I doubt that's how it's gonna go, but I like pondering what it would do to Stannis to realize he made that sacrifice for nothing.

I wouldn't think it out of character, except for the one scene a few episodes ago on how, everyone be damned, he'd save his daughter because she is family. Now, I suppose, that was the scene that was out of character, and it hurts even more knowing that.

I was very, very glad to see Staniss' wife finally develop a will of her own, even if it was too little, too late.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

It was definitely in character and was absolutely inevitable, but nonetheless, it just adds to how much I dislike his character and find his storyline tiresome. Davos is great, but Davos isn't around Stannis anymore (books or show at this point).

I'm sure he still has some important role to play (though hopefully not as AA), but I just can't root for him at all.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

PLEASE tell me you guys have seen this. I'm incredibly late to the party. This is hilarious.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep, pretty sure you are the last human being on the planet to see it.

And yes it is hilarious.

The bit between Iwan Rheon and Alfie Allen is probably my favorite bit of it all. Just so perfectly captures how weird  general people think being an actor is versus how actually being an actor is.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

That was my favourite bit as well!

I loved the season finale. I generally like most of what the show does. I'm also now comfortable with watching the show end the story, as it looks like GRRM is years away from finishing the next book, let alone the one after that.

Regarding Stannis, I thought they handled him well here. What he did last episode has had an enormous effect on him and whilst it worked with the weather, it failed to elicit the same benefit from humanity (as it should not have). Of course, his death reveals that ultimately Stannis is doomed to fail in the books as well.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Of course, his death reveals that ultimately Stannis is doomed to fail in the books as well.

"Death" might be stretching the concept of what they did a bit far. With both him and Jon they did that cheeky "not gonna show them actually dying, but you can totally trust us they're dead, cause we would never make you think something like that and then reverse it later" thing.

Stannis was particularly bad, for how much of this season has been devoted to Stannis, to have his death be dicked around with the stupid cut away thing feels...just a bit to much like they're trying to do a thing. And same with Jon, they held that shot just a bit too long and focused just a bit too much on that blood for them not to be trying to do a "thing".

Who knows I could be totally wrong and they just decided to say fuck it and kill Stannis off camera, and do some weir editing thing with Jon. But the way it was presented it just felt like they were trying just a bit too hard to do something.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Could be, it's easy to get so conditioned by the violence and gore to expect it whenever a character is killed but I don't believe that the absence of a shot with Stannis' head rolling across the snow should be taken as a sign. Though we really don't know at this point! It happens in the books all the time....

And on Jon, that could just as easily be taken to mean that they wanted to let you know that nothing was happening, he wasn't warging into Ghost, he was really dying there and no-one was jumping in to save him. The actor and producers are saying that he's really dead and not coming back. I'm not sure how much to trust that, but it would be insane to have waited out the last 5 years expecting Jon to live/come back to life only for him to be really dead vs mostly dead.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We had Davos appear to die at the end of season two so it has happened before although I get the feeling Stannis is gone for good.

As for Jon, can anyone name a cliff hanger on TV that ends with someone appearing to die and is resolved by them being dead forever?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

redxavier wrote:

Could be, it's easy to get so conditioned by the violence and gore to expect it whenever a character is killed but I don't believe that the absence of a shot with Stannis' head rolling across the snow should be taken as a sign.

That's not even close to what I'm saying. Have Stannis head roll off completely off screen for all I care, that's all it would take to confirm it. But you're really telling me you're okay with not seeing what that does to Brienne? This man she's vowed to get vengeance on  for the past 3 seasons suddenly at the end of the sword. They have a great little interchange but then it just cuts away, and sure we can speculate and probably make a pretty accurate guess of how Brienne will react to it, but we never got to see it. And I'm not saying there needs to be some giant soliloquy on her part, one shot would do it. But as it is right now, it's robbing the audience of closure for Stannis timeline, and robbing Brienne of closure in the mind of the audience UNLESS they're pulling some bullshit, and she didn't actually kill him.

As I said toa firned last night, he felt they were going to come back after a commercial break and Brienne was going to swing into the tree instead and not kill him for some bizarre reason. Cause that's exactly how you do that if you're going to do that.

As for Jon, it's kinda the same thing. And what Faldor said, it all just feels too loose. Game of Thrones has never had an issue before saying "Nope this guys definitely dead, like all dead." whenever it happens. So to have so many kinda wishy washy "maybe they dead?" conclusions (Stannis, Jon, Theon, Sansa) it just feels strange.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Faldor wrote:

As for Jon, can anyone name a cliff hanger on TV that ends with someone appearing to die and is resolved by them being dead forever?

Breaking Bad did it, Hannibal did it, The Shield did it.

But let's be honest, they'll probably find some way to bring Jon back in some form or another.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I see what you mean in terms of closure for Brienne. It is a little weird that we don't at least see her after she 'kills' him.

I don't see how Jon's death was in any way wishy washy though. As I said before, the length of the shot clearly establishes that he's dead and there's not really anything cliffhanger about it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The strongest argument for Jon only being mostly dead is the "Who were his parents?" mystery, which the books and the show have both put a fair bit of time into dangling as a big reveal to come someday.   

All the more so since that was the famous question GRRM asked Benioff and Weiss when they were seeking the rights to turn the books into a series.  They answered correctly, and the rest is history.   Would Martin have asked that question if Jon's story was ultimately just going to be a dead end?   

I suppose there could be a way to someday say "Hey, remember that guy who died?  Guess who his parents were?" and have that still matter somehow, but it seems like it'd be kinda hard to make that work.  smile

BigDamnArtist wrote:

So to have so many kinda wishy washy "maybe they dead?" conclusions (Stannis, Jon, Theon, Sansa) it just feels strange.

If we assume every cliffhanger ends badly - Jon's dead, Stannis is dead, Arya failed Kill School and is blind for life, Theon and Sansa are paste, Drogon dies of his wounds, the Dothraki kill or abduct Daenerys and Daario & Jorah never find her - then the season ender could work as a series finale.   

So look at the bright side - Tyrion and Varys get to run a country, Brienne finally completes her quest, and Cersei and Jaime have been punished as much as can be reasonably expected. 

On the Game of Thrones scale, that pretty much counts as a happy ending.  Tadahh!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jon ends up in a new body somehow.  That would satisfy Kit Harrington being told he was done, and still keep the Azhor Ahai prophecy somewhat intact.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A month or two ago, Melisandre's actress said that she filmed a "big scene" with Kit, but that scene never actually happened on screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed his resurrection as part of season 5 but are saving the scene itself for season 6. I don't think they'll put him in a new body -- Kit Harrington is too popular for the show to let him go.

Also, why does anyone think Theon and Sansa might be dead? The scene pretty clearly wasn't indicating that they both committed suicide. This was an escape scene. Presumably the snow is deep enough that it could cushion their fall.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Death is an escape.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Also, why does anyone think Theon and Sansa might be dead? The scene pretty clearly wasn't indicating that they both committed suicide. This was an escape scene. Presumably the snow is deep enough that it could cushion their fall.

Clearly that's what they were going for, but that entire sequence was so rushed that they didn't even have time to really make anything clear. (And don't even get me started on Theons switch, cause that shit came out of nowhere, my gods). The thing is, they are clearly a good 30-40 feet in the air jumping onto what looks like a downward hill that falls away pretty quickly, I don't care how much powder you're falling into, that's gonna cause some damage if you're not careful.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-06-18 23:08:41)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Clearly that's what they were going for, but that entire sequence was so rushed that they didn't even have time to really make anything clear. (And don't even get me started on Theons switch, cause that shit came out of nowhere, my gods). The thing is, they are clearly a good 30-40 feet in the air jumping onto what looks like a downward hill that falls away pretty quickly, I don't care how much powder you're falling into, that's gonna cause some damage if you're not careful.

Theon's switch didnt come out of nowhere. They've been building up to it all season long.

Also,

It wasn't a hill, it was snowdrift.

Last edited by Sam F (2015-06-19 00:25:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

Theon's switch didnt come out of nowhere. They've been building up to it all season long.

They've been building up to it, but every single time we see him he always revert back to Reek. And in this, his switch is basically entirely off screen. It's just all off a sudden Reek throws the evil chick off the bridge and Theon's back. At least a shot of his face making a decision or something would have been nice.

And alright fair enough, crazy russians. I guess it's just getting exaggerated in my head because of how weird everything else about that scene and the episode is.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-06-19 00:27:27)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

They've been building up to it, but every single time we see him he always revert back to Reek. And in this, his switch is basically entirely off screen. It's just all off a sudden Reek throws the evil chick off the bridge and Theon's back.

I don't think that's accurate, though. He's been drifting back into Theonhood all season long. He didn't just snap out of it in that moment. The last time we saw him, he broke down and told Sansa about Bran and Rickon, presumably without telling Ramsay. This moment was the result of a season's worth of baby steps, and it felt natural to me.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down