Re: FIYH Movie Club :: Suggestion Thread

So upon consideration of the chatroom, we're going to extend the movie schedule to every two weeks. Hopefully this'll give people more of a chance to watch and comment.

So next movie will be picked on April 29th.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that each week would be it's own contained selection pool if that makes sense.

Done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, since I am a horrible person and got the flu and had to deal with a bunch of stuff that popped up in the last week. I have yet to watch the Eagle. So our choices are pretty slim this week. But it's all good.

So with a flip of the switch... this week is going to be... High and Low as suggested by redxavier.

Red, (or teague) you'll need to amend your suggestion post with the right formatting so it shows up on Lamers app thingy.

So 2 weeks folks, new movie on May 13th!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Week 5 :: 1 :: avatar :: Mr Nobody

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Week 5 :: 2 :: Writhyn :: La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Red, (or teague) you'll need to amend your suggestion post with the right formatting so it shows up on Lamers app thingy.

I'm very confused about the formatting. I took it direct from the first post when I made the suggestion, has it changed again?

In any case, terrific that High and Low got chosen. I'm always eager to convert more to Kurosawa.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You just forgot the entry number between the week and your name.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sooooooo I'm a horrible person and thought it was next week for the new movie.

Soooooooo here we go.

Spinning....

Week 5: Mr. Nobody. As suggested by: Avatar.

New movie: May 27th...ish....maybe... probably.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Week 6 :: 1 :: Hastings :: Vitus

Saw this film in '07 when it came out an was surprised because this film was far better and more interesting than what its premise would imply.  It's a great bit of exemplary screenwriting and one of my favorites.

Last edited by Hastings (2015-05-19 21:01:42)

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay. Yes. I know. I'm a horrible person and I should feel bad. Hey, life happens.

So anyways, here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to rejig the suggestion system a bit (Sorry lamer), instead of isolating suggestions to just that week, I'm going to work from a master list of everything suggested so far, minus the ones chosen. Hopefully that should make things a "bit" more interesting, instead of just one or two options of what it might be every time. Although I think we'll keep the "You need to participate in that weeks movies in order to get a suggestion in the pot" thing.

But I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is, I have a google doc set-up with everything so far. Do you guys want me to just post that link and everyone add thier suggestion every week, or just keep posting them here and I can transfer them over? Either way, here's the master suggestion list, with the chosen movies red'd out, if you're looking for something to watch and want a curated suggestion from this forum:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Let me know what you think, I really don't want this thing to die. I'm trying to get caught up on everything this week cause I really have fallen behind and there's some cool looking stuff in our backlog.

Oh and the new movie will be:

Reign Of Fire (2002)
As suggested by Writhyn

New movie will be rolled on June 24th

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I really want this to work. I love the idea of arguing movies' merits/demerits with each other. Just throwing out there it's probably best if we limit ourselves to suggesting movies that can be had on Netflix or at least rented on Google Play, Itunes, or Amazon. Forcing people to find and buy an obscure movie will limit our efforts severely.

As for Reign of Fire, sweet. I want to revisit it.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree, but especially with how much netflix's selection varies from country to country it's basically impossible to find something everyone will be able to find. I'm not sure how google, itunes or amazon works. I think if we try to keep it at least within the realm of reasonable assumption that it can be found. We should be okay.

Or maybe, within the realm of "you might be able to find this at your local library if all else fails".

Otherwise I agree entirely.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Hey everybody.  Sorry to have missed this little discussion (last month or so of life has been crazy -- which is why I missed the last couple of films), but I actually have another suggestion for how we could pick the films.  It's a little complicated, but here's my thinking:

Like BDA, I would really like to see this keep going.  I know the original idea partly was to find out about cool films that you might not have thought about checking out, but I think the best way to keep things going is (at least intially) picking films that as many of us as possible would like to see.  With the best will in the world, it's easy when real life begins to intervene to say "yeah, I'm not sure I have time to do that", but if it's a film that you actually have been meaning to see, there's an incentive to make time.

So here's what I suggest:  everybody who wants to participate submits a list of five suggested films, with a little blurb or tagline to pimp it if desired.  Everybody then votes for their top five choices -- five points for first choice, four for second, etc.

However, there's an important catch:  you can only vote for films that are on someone else's list.  If there's an overlap between you and someone else, that's fine, but you can't vote for something that appears only on your own list.  We tally the votes, and the top five winners are the five we do next.

That will push us a bit toward the mainstream maybe, but it'll mean hopefully that for each film there will be at least a few people who *really* want to see it, and that'll be enough to keep things going. 

What do y'all think? (Obviously we keep going with Reign of Fire for the moment.)

Last edited by sellew (2015-06-20 07:53:22)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

clap

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's perfect in my mind

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This idea me like.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can dig it. So here's the plan. I'll set up a new thread for the Preferential Voting suggestions, give everyone a week to suggest, and a week to vote. Then this week just pick a new random movie to cover those two weeks?

That enough time you think?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yep.  Sounds like a plan.

I'm actually enjoying trying to think of five films.  In a way I'm finding it harder than I thought I would.  There's plenty of films that I think should be better known/more widely appreciated, like if you all came over to my house or something I would make you watch them, but it's interesting to really think about "OK, what films do I really feel like discussing (and why)?"

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pumped. Let's fill this forum with fresh blood and excited goo.

I'd recommend posting a Here's How This Works thread, filling it with clear language about rules and intentions, and then stickying it. Furthermore, if the Movie Club / Lamer has any webpage-hosty needs, just lemme know and we can install a permanent patio on this motherfucking house.

Also, you should nominate an extra mod or two, so the board can strike fear into the hearts of the unclean even while you're busy with stuff. Lemme know who gets the special powers.

Just so it's clear, you can totally accept bribes and shit over the course of your decision process.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh I can't wait to see who is made worthy to wield the hammer of Grabthar.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-06-27 02:39:58)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be happy to jump in and help with stuff once we're settled on the voting/picking system.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How can I throw Agora into the ring, fellas?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/81/Agoraposter09.jpg/220px-Agoraposter09.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down