Topic: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Still streaming on Netflix, kids.

This is a really fun episode.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Also streaming free on Amazon Instant Video.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

"I can hear John Pavlich and Zarban yelling, 'Oh my God, please talk about the classic film you're watching!'" -Teague

Yeah, well, somebody has to keep you crazy kids in line! I swear, your show would be a complete mess without us! smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was having a blast because we were getting all these low budget movie ideas for props and stunt work and the like.

Oh, and the movie. That happened too

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This movie isn't broken because it's not a genre film. This is a drama—the conflict is internal and the heroes are their own worst enemies, hence no need to make the superposse into real characters. That's what makes it a genre-buster. The only problem is that the first act is a bit long and the second act is a bit repetitive, but the charm of the leads gets us over that for the most part.

1:01:00 Damn you, Trey. You just just explained that.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-06-25 03:43:48)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Lol, I love that I still get random end of episode credit.  Has it really been three years since I worked on anything?  I guess that's why the checks stopped coming, huh?

edit: I guess it's time I retired /redacted/ Commander

Mensch
A Mensch
The Mensch
Menschy

Teague, I leave this in your much more capable hands.

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2013-06-25 20:24:36)

Howabout that?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Timelessly weird" "Listen to it again now; it could be a Killers single"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome episode... four thumbs up!
https://lh3.ggpht.com/-zvBpGfRt_-4/UVHVpd4knwI/AAAAAAAAA64/sW9wJBD1eSw/s1600/butchandsundance_thumbs+charles+b.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

My first introduction to this movie comes from an old episode of "Married with Children", an episode where Al and Peggy go to the Video Rental spot and argue over which flick to get until they come across this week's gem which leads them to not finish the flick and end up necking in a closet.  Besides Cool Hand Luke, I believe this is the only other film with Newman I've seen, or at least where I knew it was him, and the first I've seen with Robert Redford. 

I must confess that while the lulls which rock this film from point to point are a bit lacking, the last musical montage with the three of them robbing banks in Bolivia did give me a kick in the MST3K brains, reminding me of such classics as "Bapadupadada" from Danger, Death Ray and "Dee Dee Daa" from Diabolik.  So while I understand the "streamlining" issues this film could stand to address, the final section is too contaminated by Satellite of Love awesomeness to be lost in such a cut.

It's been a week of classics for me, adding Paths of Glory to my Kubrick list and watching  Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, but I think I'll wrap up the week with The Sting and The Killing and call it a week well spent...Great show otherwise, and may Dobbs have blessed Ted Cassidy's nuts....

I think there's a lot to be said for the grandfathered in thing. I watched this probably ten years ago and remember it didn't do much for me then, so I skipped rewatching it this time, went strait to you guys. The movie doesn't really start until 45 minutes inn and then kinda goes nowhere. It seems to hinge on everything but itself as a movie, the charm of the two leads, that you have an interest in the history or in the subversion of the western genre, as with Unforgiven which also didn't do much for me personally. The indian tracker is a cool element though, with his almost supernatural abilities.

Feels like a perfect incidental matiné on a lazy sunday kind of movie, except for the downer ending.

Speaking of native americans with supernatural abilities, The Missing, a movie I get the impression that one should not like, but I remember liking it quite a bit, maybe a candidate for some closer scrutiny? It's got Cate Blanchett in it, just sayin.

Road to Perdition is one of my favourites. I bought the soundtrack first after listening to it on a whim, and it is a phenomenal score with its gorgeous lyrical piano, brooding drones, motoric pizzicatos and hesitant strings. Subsequently I bought the movie, one of my first DVDs, maybe my first, together with Seven. A good start I would say, and together they probably cemented my love for commentary tracks.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The only thing I know about this movie is that it has Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head in it, a trivia question which won me 4 tickets to Six Flags today. So thanks, Butch Cassidy! Maybe I'll actually watch you now.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seems only fair, considering what Butch has done for you.

Did you guys ever digitize the tippett studio short films you talked about in this episode? With Trey as an evil hippie?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I visited Tippett Studio just a few months ago - Eric Leven still works there and I asked him that very question.  He said he would think about it, but first even he would have to dig up whatever copy he could find.

However, just recently one of my co-workers/co-stars in the movie posted this pic on Facebook - that's me as the evil genius who intends to ruin the animation business with motion capture, along with Molly and Eva as my "motion capture bimbos".  Good times.

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/mocap.jpg

That is AMAZING.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down