Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

Uuuuuuuuuugh. If you were trying to convince me the show had gotten better, this was not the way to do it.

I'm really actively starting to hate Clara, there's some cool stuff in there, but I still don't know how this show can pick itself up again without getting rid of her.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Clara has been a companion for too long. I liked how they handled it in the older shows. They'd introduce a new companion just before the regeneration, so the new Doctor had someone tailored to his personality to play off of. Clara is starting to reach Jamie status.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is the show I was promised, and I'm still waiting for it:

Not to go around stirring up apathy or anything, but a quick look at Wikipedia shows 5 episodes written by Moffat, one co-written by Moffat and two by Peter 'Kill The Moon' Harness.  Sigh.

But, hey -- if a guy dressed like this can make one of my favorite records of all time, anything's possible.

http://princereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/princeparademovie.jpg

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:

Not to go around stirring up apathy or anything, but a quick look at Wikipedia shows 5 episodes written by Moffat, one co-written by Moffat and two by Peter 'Kill The Moon' Harness.  Sigh.

Give me a second here. I've been rehearsing for this.

*cough*

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-07-14 10:07:06)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

sellew wrote:

Wait, I just noticed that I misread the Wikipedia page.  It's only four solo episodes by Moffat! (I'd mistakenly included the Christmas episode.)  We're saved!! 

Or not.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*exasperated sigh*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The last few series have left me with the same sense of detachment I had back watching Star Trek: Voyager  roll

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

And now I'm picturing Clara as a Talaxian for some reason.

And oddly, not gonna lie. Little bit better.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think it looks interesting.

...then again, I said the same thing about series 6, so fuck me, right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep, haven't watched a single episode since Kill the Moon, and I will continue to do so. I've officially dropped this show.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Give "Mummy on the Orient Express" a chance. It's a genuinely good episode. As for the rest of that series? Flatline has some fun moments, but ultimately played too much on that, and the series finale is... in lack of better words; wank.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Poor 'Kill the Moon'.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was quite surprised to find I rather enjoyed the first episode of the new series

I was wondering whether this thread would ever come back, seeing as the title appeared to have been answered ("Uh, no.")  smile  However, you give me hope Faldor. 

I haven't been able to check it out yet, since my wife says "hell no!" whenever I suggest firing it up on iPlayer, but I'm sure I'll get to it soon. If it's not awful.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This may not be much merit, considering I'm the resident Doctor Who apologist. But this episode really was bloody good, I'd be more than happy with it as the first part of a series finale - nevermind and opener.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

I was quite surprised to find I rather enjoyed the first episode of the new series

Well, I'm going to have to be the Faldor this time then because I thought the new episode wasn't all that great. The Doctor thinks he is going to die. Again. Missy and Clara died. Again. We're doing the whole 'would you kill Hitler' plot. Again. If it wasn't for Capaldi being a badass with a guitar, some smart lines and the hand mines, I'd have hated it. And, I know I'll be alone here but Missy annoys me but I like Clara, so what do I know? Also, Missy seems more....Scottish, this series. I found it distracting for some reason.

And I would like to see an episode where Clara and Jane Austen make out. For research.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

And I would like to see an episode where Clara and Jane Austen make out. For research.

Another instance of the show introducing but failing to explore a concept that's well more interesting that anything we're shown.

Show
The thing with the airplanes was cool and worth a whole episode. I was genuinely confused by the reveal and how quickly they wrapped it up. The hand mines were very cool and definitely worth more time. I was totally psyched when I saw that; a war-torn planet littered with devastating and creepy-as-fuck land mines sounds like a Doctor-worthy adventure.  The Doctor and the guitar was totally badass, but we cut-in on the scene once most of the fun stuff was seemingly already over. Being kidnapped and taken to invisible planet was also pretty cool and totally wasted. The point about the subtle differences between real and artificial gravity was neat, and had those words come out of Clara's mouth I might have a modicum of respect for the character. And once again we are told we should be terrified of the "menacing" Daleks as they stand around doing absolutely nothing. 

Perhaps this is all foreshadowing for future episodes, or just cool snippets that couldn't be worked into a full episode for whatever reason, but for me, it made for a really frustrating watch. It's not fun to watch a show where people talk about doing really cool stuff when we actually get to see them doing very little. Capaldi is the only thing about the show that I like at this point, so I think it may be time for me to give it up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't get BBC America and didn't feel like buying the last season, so haven't watched any of the new Doctor until now (the BBC put this episode on YouTube). I was a bit underwhelmed. Lots of interesting ideas, but they seemed rushed and/or wasted. The bit with the sonic screwdriver was weird, and shows they're not really thinking ahead when writing episodes. If he had lost it last season between episodes, and just now we found out what happened, that would have been more interesting (assuming he didn't lose it last season  smile ). I was also very disappointed when the Master didn't make a snide remark when the screwdriver showed up. After all, the Doctor was without a screwdriver from his 5th through 7th regenerations (the writers taking it away as it made life too easy). The Master saying something like "You lost it AGAIN?" would have improved things.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So,  I decided to catch up on some Doctor Who now that school is done for the quarter (tough quarter all around). I had not watched much of Matt Smith but Capaldi's performance interested me, so I got through most of Series 8 and saw the latest episode "Sorcerer's Apprentice".

First of all, Series 8 was interesting because it wove the thread of the Doctor's question "Am I a good man?" throughout with the final speech in "Death in Heaven" which really was interesting from the Doctor's point of view. Just really in depth, psychological questions that I found rather intriguing.

Christmas special was rather odd, to me, but it was ok.

Which brings mean to "Soccer's Apprentice." Fist of all, Missy is a rather interesting character. Not sure I'm 100% on board, but intriguing none the less.

Secondly, it may be a tired argument, but the cold open of the boy with the hand minds (or whatever) was very well done, and the moral conflict that comes about fascinates me. So, I'll be curious to see how it plays out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If he goes against his previous moral conclusion, it would be interesting. In Genesis of the Daleks, which we see clips from, the Doctor concludes the Daleks actually made the universe unite against them, and that was a positive. Thus he didn't destroy them when he had a chance.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I kind of liked how it tied back through out the Doctor's various incarnations as to his interactions with the Daleks.

Again, just a fascinating insight in to the Doctor's psyche, in my opinion, so it keeps it interesting. Capaldi is my favorite Doctor in the modern era thus far.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Meh.

Can we change the topic to 'Doctor Who isn't awesome, is it?'

As always, if you don't like Doctor Who, come back in three years. Everyone in front and behind the camera will be different.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

It ebbs and flows for me. I cared little for Matt Smith, and even Tennant by the end of his run. Even Capaldi has his moments of me just rolling my eyes.

But, I'll give them this much-the season opener interested me enough to make me curious and watch it again.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

Meh.

Can we change the topic to 'Doctor Who isn't awesome, is it?'

If this thread were around when The Happiness Patrol aired, I'd still keep the title. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down