Topic: On DOCUMENTALITY, COMIC CON....and how those two are going to meet.

Hey everyone.  I know I haven't been the most frequent poster lately, but things have been brewing for quite some time, and it's mostly consumed every waking second.  But its all good stuff and leading to a couple big announcements, so...story time.

Firstly, I'm a husband and dad.  Those two things come first and I got two boys at a critical age.  Secondly, I work full time to support said wife an children, so that clearly accounts for a good chunk of time (please watch SKIN WARS on GSN starting June 10th, FOOD FIGHTERS on NBC starting this summer, and PROJECT RUNWAY JUNIOR sometime later this fall.  I like working so please watch).

Thirdly, as stated earlier, I am in full production on the feature length version of FIGHTING IN PLAIN SIGHT.  Ryan, Jake, Brian, and some of your favorite FIYH'ers have been hard at work filming interviews, trying to get this thing done.  We have had EARLY talks with some folks on the distribution side of things...and thats all I can say for now.  Well, I guess I can tell you that I'm feverishly editing a selects reel which I will screen at...

http://www.oregondoccamp.com

I am attending this 4 day workshop that consists of guest lectures and peer reviews by other doc filmmakers, including one on one's with some very well known directors, including Steve James.  I posted a slightly weepy version of this on FB, but it is an honor that Steve James will be able to see a little bit of my film.  It's an opportunity I will not squander.  It's also knowledge gained that I want, and intend to share on the new...

DOCUMENTALITY.  Yup it's still happening.  All the aforementioned has made progress on the new Documentality slower than I'd like, but the progress has been steady.  A website is being built, segments are being recorded, and a standard length and release schedule have been settled on.  More on what kind of content to expect at a later date.  What I can tell you, and it's the impetus for this whole post, is that if you liked our Comic Con episode from last year, you might like something I've been working since Comic Con last year, and am finally ready to announce.

In conjunction with San Diego Comic Con's Film Fest, I will be teaching and moderating an hour long Documentary Filmmaking How To panel.  I cannot announce date/time just yet, nor my co-panelsits, but if you've listened to some of our previous special guests on older episodes of Documentality, you might recognize a couple of voices.  Also, and this is not approved yet, but I'm in talks with SDCC to record and upload the class as an episode of Documentality.  This panel is my brain child and came about with conversations I had with Comic Con International about the need for a separate Doc filmmaking panel as part of their film school.  They agreed, liked the curriculum I wrote, and approved on my guests and co panelists, so here we are.

So, that's it for now.  If you're coming to SDCC, let me know here, and swing by the panel if you can.  When the relaunch episode of Documentality happens, I'm sure I will link it to death around these parts.

Last edited by Eddie (2015-05-22 01:48:37)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +7 Thumbs down

Re: On DOCUMENTALITY, COMIC CON....and how those two are going to meet.

Awesome. And congrats on getting your own panel at SDCC!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

AWESOME!!

doty

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

That's incredible work, Eddie.

Thank you for sharing!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I definitely look forward to more Documentality but I'm pleased to hear things are going well on the family and work front!

I'd be very interested in hearing your panel but as I'm 6,000 miles from San Diego and unlikely to attend in person it would be amazing if it was able to be recorded

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Include the first episode or two in the FIYH RSS feed. I'm sure most people haven't deleted it, and you'll start with an established audience.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Respect.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

restecpa, bro.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Include the first episode or two in the FIYH RSS feed. I'm sure most people haven't deleted it, and you'll start with an established audience.

Teague has obviously been a big part of my plans, and I think we agreed on hosting or mirroring the episodes here.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still can't publicly say the date/time/room of my Comic Con Panel...but they didn't say anything about guests.  So, the panelists who will be with me on stage are:

Jessica Hernandez Editor of The Punk Singer, Bhutto, Bomb It and former guest on DOCUMENTALITY

Andie Bolt Actress, Comedienne, and Director of the upcoming WoWMoM

Jeff Unay Director of Free to Play and the upcoming Graywater

and potentially a sort of huge guest, provided the schedule works out.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Also, and this is not approved yet, but I'm in talks with SDCC to record and upload the class as an episode of Documentality.

Did this happen?

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

We did indeed film it.  Ryan and Miki were my AV crew.  I have the audio at my house and Ryan has the video.  I just need to sync and export.  I frankly, have been underwater with work.   I'm in the middle of a rush of grant application deadlines for FIGHTING IN PLAI N SIGHT, and because I didn't have enough going on, apparently, I just got hired to edit RISE, a documentary about the band WE ARE AUGUSTINES. 

In the meantime. if you'd like a copy of the powerpoint I used during the panel, email me at documentalitypodcast@gmail.com.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down