Re: The Mako Mori Test: a Bechdel Test alternative

Trey wrote:

It is no surprise at all that movies like Ted and Ghost Rider and The Watch fail the test.  Because of course they do.

Well, we can't expect every movie to live up to the high bar set by Where Eagles Dare....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I squint my eyes at Avengers and Batman passing both tests, but, admittedly, I don't remember them very well.

And two of the movies that pass both tests aren't even from this century. 

I agree that The Grey should get a pass. It's sort of the the dude version of Gravity.

Bathilda wrote:

I squint my eyes at Avengers and Batman passing both tests, but, admittedly, I don't remember them very well.

I thought this too. I had to squint a bit harder to see that they're actually on a different colored background, meaning that they only pass the Mako Mori Test (for Black Widow and Catwoman I assume.)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aha, you're right.  The chart sez those are the only two movies that passed Mori without passing Bechdel.  I assume Gravity would also go into that rather unusual category.

Guardians of the Galaxy seems to fall into the category of movies passed Mori without passing Bechdel. Another super hero movie... who would have thunk it?

Sadly having Guardians passing Bechdel could have been fixed just by having Gamora and Nebula talk about anything else than Ronin or Thanos.

Gamora passed the Mako Mori test but sadly Nebula does not. Her entire plot revolved around either Thanos or Ronin.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Nova Prime (Glenn Close) and Gamora speak about something that is not a man, but there conversation is more of a group conversation so I don't know if that counts.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do Gamora and Nebula ever talk about something other than their dad? I think they do. Would've been only a line or two in their fight though.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-08-07 15:14:46)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with a lot of the earlier conversation re: how the Bechdel and Mako Mori tests are good conversation starters.  Because even with that info-graphic, if you're scoring movies on technicalities, the point OF the tests (how rare it is they get passed on anything BUT a technicality) is kind of being missed.

I recently went through a bit of a film renaissance of independents and smaller films released in the late 1990's and was struck by how many of them were written/directed by women and how a lot of them had multiple women in top billed roles and where the Bechdel and Mako Mori tests were passed in the first five minutes.  (Drop Dead Gorgeous, Sugar and Spice, Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion.)  And, as a woman, I have to say that this decrease in visibility and how it appears - and I will completely own the "appears" word because this is how I have interpreted the pushback for adding female cast members, I will completely own that I am not subject of backroom meetings and casting decisions - has really turned me off visual media.

Simple as it is, if I can't find a character that I connect with in the narrative, I check out.  And I'm really tired of being forced to connect to male characters because they are the forced POV.  And while I am fully capable of connecting to male characters, and have regularly in the past, I would like more options that include people of my own gender.

But, that's just my $.02.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Posted for posterity, too late to be a substantive contribution to the conversation;
an NPR interview with Bechdel zherself:
http://www.npr.org/2015/08/17/432569415 … t=20150817

Alison Bechdel wrote:

I have to confess, I stole this whole thing from a friend of mine at the time because I didn't have an idea for my strip. My friend Liz Wallace ... said, "I'll only see a movie if it has at least two women in it who talk to each other about something besides a man." That left very, very few movies in 1985. The only movie my friend could go see was Alien, because the two women talk to each other about the monster. But somehow young feminist film students found this old cartoon and resurrected it in the Internet era and now it's this weird thing. People actually use it to analyze films to see whether or not they pass that test. Still ... surprisingly few films actually pass it.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2015/08/17/alison-bechdel-photo-credit-elena-seibert_wide-0d70efa3ad8175d921262b79ca4f345c0512131f-s800-c85.jpg

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down