Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

I would be onboard with that. The Egyptian motif is one of the reasons why I enjoy Stargate so much, as well as the Mummy and things like that.

Or maybe the next Indiana Jones can be him discovering the Stargate wink
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a8/a0/95/a8a0951dd4a3fc90dec94baa8fab81d1.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Quick question for my friends out there: any one familiar with "Space Command" a Kickstarter project for a more, I'll say retro-style, sci-fi? They are still in production phase, but it is coming along pretty nicely.

Facebook page for those interested: https://www.facebook.com/spacecommandmovie?fref=nf

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, uh, on the one hand, no film has ever pissed me off as much with its incompetence (even the choice of camera angles made me angry) as Catwoman did, but...

having said that, I think the villainous conspiracy, on paper, was a solid beginning for what could have been a genuinely excellent and truly feminist superhero movie.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

It's a good thing that Humphrey Bogart and Benedict Cumberbatch became actors, because the only other place we'd be destined to see those names appear would be on a sex offender register.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Bogart might've been able to open a dispensary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Everyone in a while a come across something that requires me to share the insanity in my mind (don't worry, the medication is helping).

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121002221140/starwars/images/7/7c/Blue_Shadow_Virus.png

I don't have any context for this image, other than Clone Wars, but one person is seriously under-dressed for whatever the situation is.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5029296.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The other night I found out that one of my fellow yearmates when I did my Master's, is Bob "Robert Muldoon" Peck's kid.
True fact. I'm really not making that up just so I could say (and have no doubt, I am going to say) that: she's a "clever girl".

Last edited by Herc (2015-03-15 06:07:16)

I watched "They Came Together" last night.  Nothing special but it had it's moments.  It is notable because it actually is a true parody unlike the "Epic Movie" and "Date Movie" crap.  It's written by the guys from Stella so use that as a reference point for the type of humor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, my friends, my wife stumbled upon on a film description called "Black and White: A Love Story" but I cannot find copies of it any where. IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279694/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Are there any (legitimate) means to find it?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel the same way about any story about a natural disaster. People will die randomly, I get it.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, could somebody please explain something about this George Melies film to me? I'm totally on board with the idea of multiple exposures, and blacking-out part of the frame so it isn't exposed to light etc. I get that, I really do. And I understand how his disembodied heads can be on the tables by matting out parts of the screen vertically.

But I don't understand
a) how he managed to get the matte to follow his head while he moved smoothly around (it seems unlikely he could hold a position while they advanced to the next frame and changed the matte, and then resume a frame's worth of motion for the next frame), and
b) how he managed those moments where his hand passes in front of his missing head (where the matte would presumably be)

Did he actually paint out his head frame by frame on the original negative (which seems like the simplest solution) instead?

I doubt they used a matte. A black bag over his head would be the easiest way to do it, with maybe some hand painting around the edge.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: the pop-cultural influence and idealization of Tony Montana

Why doesn't anyone ever bring up the fact that he's a man with no self-control who kinda wants to fuck his own sister?

Herc wrote:

But I don't understand
a) how he managed to get the matte to follow his head while he moved smoothly around (it seems unlikely he could hold a position while they advanced to the next frame and changed the matte, and then resume a frame's worth of motion for the next frame), and
b) how he managed those moments where his hand passes in front of his missing head (where the matte would presumably be)

The heads that he physically handles are dummies. The part at :18 where he waves his arm in front of the head on the table, the arm is clearly painted in.

He had to stop the film to get the dummy heads put into his hands, so I'm guessing a black bag got put over his head at the same time, but there's also some optical dodging going on too. I suspect that the bag was too obvious most of the time, and he dodged that spot (waving a little piece of card on a wire in front of the projector to keep light from getting to that area of the print) when copying to the final master.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Thank you!

Life Itself is on Netflix now. (In the U.S., at least.) The Ebert doc.

Just watched it for the first time, even though I think I actually backed it back during production. Really enjoyable movie.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, in Jaws: The Revenge, Michael Caine's character is a drug-runner. Not much of this is left in the final movie, but it is there. Anyway, at the end, when he lands his plane in the water, they should have had the shark attack the plane so he loses his "cargo". Seeing it disappear into the ocean, he would have shouted "MY COCAINE!!!" which would just sound like Michael Caine shouting his own name.

And then could have winked at the camera, 'cause the rest of this movie spends 90 minutes saying "fuck it", so why not.

That really would just reawaken the ridiculous notion that Mark Hamill shouts "Carrie!" near the end of Star Wars.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a common misconception that Hamill shouts "Carrie" instead of "Leia". What a ridiculous idea. Who really believes this? It's appalling.

No, actually Hamill shouts "Harry!" in reference to Harrison Ford. He was pretty drunk that day.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I knew he was drunk, but I thought he was drunker, and shouted "ferry," because he thought he saw a boat.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Teague, that's ridiculous. "Ferry"?? Pft.

I'm pretty sure he was drunk on wine, and shouted "sherry" because it's what he wanted more of.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-09-22 14:52:47)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nah, I'm pretty sure he shouted "Parry!" because he was having a drunken flashback to the Death Star and was trying to tell Ben to save himself.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I watched Demolition Man on the weekend. Today, this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/yQeZ4J3.jpg

That's just great...

wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down