Topic: Terminator: Genisys (spoilers)

Who sent the T-1000 back in time?

Was it the same T-1000 that attacked Sarah in 1973?

If not, what happened to that T-1000?

If so, why did it take them 11 years to kill it?

Who sent Pops back in time? How did the T-1000(s) and Pops somehow exist in the same timeline with the bad T-800 and Kyle being sent back in time - how could two timelines send four different beings to the same point in one timeline?

How did the T-1000 get the busted up T-800 to work just by dropping some liquid metal jizz on it? Was it the black goo from Prometheus?

What was the point of JK Simmons character?

How come Sarah gave Kyle the shotgun to use in the back of the truck but in the very next scene she's using the shotgun and he's using an M-16?

How did Pops survive the biggest fucking explosion ever just by hanging around in liquid metal?

How did Pops know about the Terminator that could change cells in a human? How did Pops know about nexus points? We've never seen one before and it was presumably built after mostly everything else but Pops is like the OG model of Terminator so how did he know?

Did the Terminator John really spend 3 years of his life just hanging out at Cyberdine and programming shit?

Did anyone involved in the making of this movie understand how software releases work?

Why was Sarah in such a rush to use the time machine in 1984? Doesn't she understand how a time machine works?

Why didn't they go to 2016 so they could have a whole year to takedown Skynet?

Why did they give away all the twists in the trailers?

Who made Matt Smith in 2026? How could he be the product and manifestation of Skynet in that timeline when he was a direct result of Genisys, which was an entirely different timeline? How was his model the newest one on the line even though the Resistance had yet to encounter anything beyond the T-800? Did Skynet in this timeline skip over the T-1000? What about the T-1000(s) that were sent back in time to kill Sarah?

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

Last edited by Ewing (2015-07-02 01:27:10)

Re: Terminator: Genisys (spoilers)

Generally speaking, the emotional weather-system in my brain is ruled by a burning sun that casts cynicism wherever its rays fall.
It must have been cloudy today.

I really enjoyed this. My new system of watching the trailer once, 3-4 months before the release date, and then forgetting about it, is really working out for me.

It was fun. It was surprisingly well paced. The action scenes were handled well (the helicopter sequence was the only thing that bothered me, would have preferred models and less inorganic camera movements). The humour, I dunno why, but with some exceptions, it worked for me (and I laughed out loud a couple of times, too!).

It did take me awhile to get used to Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor, until I reminded myself that this Sarah had a different life experience, so she doesn't need to be like Linda Hamilton. (Though I'd still like to see the alternate timeline [ha ha] version where they'd ended up casting Tatiana Maslany instead.)

Jai Courtney, I'm still not a fan. I'm sure he's got some skills, but between this and A Good Day to Die Hard (oh lord), not yet.

Obviously, time travel is a clusterfuck, but I'd have thought we'd given up taking that seriously from the 3rd film onwards anyway? I just didn't feel like nitpicking the 5th film in a franchise... that doesn't benefit anyone. It's like going to your bank and asking for a lower interest rate on your savings account. WHY?

Like I said, I saw one trailer and forgot about it. As I understand, they spoiled the shit out of it, but I ended up being pleasantly goddamn surprised a couple of times. Though walking out of the cinema, I came face to face with the poster, which has a twist, like, front and centre. That is some dumbass fuckery.

Anyhooooo: it moved along briskly, enjoyed the action, pleasantly surprised by the humour, and it put a smile on my face. So it gets a thumbs up. Go see it if you're feeling optimistic. If not, don't bother smile

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I have given this too much though, but: part of me kinda wishes Genisys Sarah had had Linda Hamilton's '84 haircut through the whole movie.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I wish Emilia Clarke wasn't terrible and completely miscast
http://www.outlawvern.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/491x419xsarahconnors.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sI8ZcK0QYi.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just saw it and have to agree with most criticisms.

This, like T3 and Salvation, just feels like fan fiction. "Wouldn't it be cool if..." is the only motivation behind everything.

For a minute or two the movie was awesome, and that is when the visual language suddenly changes when they are imitating the T1 opening and terminator arrivals. Also the music imitates Fiedels classic droning sound.

The music in this film. Jesus. The music is just constantly telling you what to feel. It's just string ostinatos ad nauseam. It feels like it permeates and suffocates every frame with "Epic!" trailer-esque music.

No attention to detail, which is a mortal sin when they aspire to follow T1 and T2, considering James Camerons legacy. Gun shots slow down Terminators only when the plot requires it.

The plot just keeps throwing out new things like it has ADHD or something. It never reaches a point of feeling like "the chess pieces are in place, and here we go!". It substitutes intelligent plotting for "hey look at this, but also this was actually this, and by the way, over there".

There isn't a single action scene that has intelligence behind it, or a sense of craft or planning (they just 100% rip off the "car-hanging-over-a-cliff" setup from The Lost World in one of the biggest scenes). In another scene, the protagonists are being chased by a car with a villain in it. They shot a rocket at the car. The car explodes. End of action scene.
T2 has action scenes that morph and evolve as they go along. Seriously, can it be that hard to come up with something that is engaging and exciting?

Overall, the script and screenplay doomed this from the start. It's just completely incompatible in content, tone and intelligence with T1 or T2. Add to that miscast actors (Clarke especially), a score which deserves to be taken out and shot, it's that generic and mindless, and a heap of other problems too many to name, and you have yet another misfire that doesn't even seem to try to be a genuine follow-up to Camerons films.

Last edited by TechNoir (2015-07-06 21:23:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought this was enjoyable but yeah, lots of plot holes. The largest is, of course, who sent the terminators back to 1973. The entire story rests upon this, and them leaving it open is either extraordinary lazy storytelling or gutsy. Though to be honest, how Skynet is able to send back the T-1000 is a plot hole in T2.

I love the concept of playing with the 1984 events, even reversing the roles, but the moment the story resolves 1984 it devolves into stupidity. There's a time machine, they travel more than 30 years into the future to mere days before the singularity, they have the same plan as Sarah had in T2, they meet Evil John Connor, and they resolve the conflict through violence which predictably doesn't work.

Also, how does Sarah know where the Time Machine is in the future, so that she can tell John? I've seen Terminator, and there's not lot of time for Kyle to give her that kind of detail.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://s3.postimg.org/jyjiwq9v7/Jessica_Wabbit.jpg

lol  lol  lol

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down