Topic: Lightsaber Choreography Competition XIII

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … 6Lipa_MGC-

Discuss.

(Okay okay. Entries released today. Mine is "Turning Point II". I hope to get to watch the rest of them in the coming week and am completely bummed that I'll be missing the live judging.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: Lightsaber Choreography Competition XIII

When is the live judging?

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was told Saturday sometime, though I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere official yet. Hell they haven't even updated the website with the playlist yet, is still showing last year's winner and the expired deadline for this year tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm so excited!
(almost forgot about it with all the school and health craziness)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got around to watching just over half of the entries tonight. Holy hell guys, Reunion is the best saber fight I have seen in a very long time.

clap

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I dunno. That was a really cool film stylistically, but not much of a lightsaber fight, in my opinion

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'll freely admit that I enjoyed the tone, the music, and the style of it as well as some of the combat.

Was the choreography the best? Honestly, I have not watched all of the entries and there are certainly some weak spots.

But, I enjoyed it a lot.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

From straight choreo, maybe not the most intricate, but it does a good job of working with the story. And yeah, on choreo merits alone it may not be the best but it has so much more going for it. Like, I'd be mad if my own entry placed above it tongue

Working my way though the playlist now. To be honest. I know nothing about choreography and in no place to judge... but man has the game been raised this year. Reunion is god damn Beautiful!!!

I'd pay to see that as an opera!

Last edited by Regan (2015-09-30 19:17:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There is a very wide range of talent this year, like most previous years. Some are very amateur, but there are some very strong entries this year. Looking forward to the judging this year! I feel like the entry I worked on has a decent chance at placing on the podium this year, but there are many that I wouldn't mind kicking us off of it.

I ended up stumbling upon, I believe, an older entry, that was about Luke fighting Maul on Tatooine. Again, not the best of choreography but a interesting concept.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That was one from last year, and I believe the same crew that did Reunion this year.

Killing. It.

I was gunna ask which entry, Boter... but I'll leave it. I shan't. Lots of strong competitors. Everything seems high quality this year. Mainly I mean as in High definition. Everything looks super clear this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like we're gonna be judging this stuff on Saturday; judges Weebs, Eddie, Anthony and Antoine presiding. I don't have any more information than that at this point, been out of the loop on this year's contest.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

I'll be there like a pubic hair. What? It rhymed okay?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Looks like we're gonna be judging this stuff on Saturday; judges Weebs, Eddie, Anthony and Antoine presiding. I don't have any more information than that at this point, been out of the loop on this year's contest.

Glad you guys are able to do it this year again smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a judge, so I won't give all my thoughts here.  But I am a fan of REUNION and I do consider it very good choreography.  And let me tell you why.

Great Choreography is not defined by back flips or saber flourishes.  There is another entry that has plenty of those but left me feeling cold and numb.  Good choreography should tell a story unto itself.  The moves selected don't have to be physically impressive feats, they have to simply make you believe the fight is real.  I tend to ding entries on a lack of targeting or a lack of logical combat choices.  I also ding entries that look good but have no build, and are simply, as Kyle would be familiar with, "Spot fests."  I should believe the characters are trying to fight each other, I should believe that the blows they are throwing should have a purpose, and I should believe that the fight behaves according to the rules of the world depicted.

REUNION, does all of that.  I do like the visual style.  But the fight works irrespective of the style.  Take it all away and you still have a fight where the moves performed are true to the characters and the world.

I mention it a few times on the show, but a good fight to look at for inspiration when it comes to fight choreography is the fight between Hector and Achilles in TROY.

On a purely strategic level, it is a joyful blend of realism and fantasy.  That is to say, the moves themselves are a bit fanciful and low percentage, but the body language suggests a real fight.  Foot work, angling, disengagements, transitions, range exploitation are all there.  Brad Pitt fights more like Jersey Joe Wolcott than he does a greek god.  But beyond the moves themselves, the fight tells a story.  Hector is a strategist and a clever one; after losing his spear he baits Achiles in to a closer range BEFORE he draws his sword.  Brad Pitt's Achilles is a physical specimen, with a gas tank that can fight for days.  His fast twitch muscle responses are sublime, as he defends a slice to the leg by flamingo'ing AS he angles off for a counter.  Late in the fight, Hector comes on strong and grazes Achiles, forcing him into a longer fight than he's used to.  Once Achiles realizes Hector won't stop, he baits him by drawing him back and back further.  This, combined with his increasing fatigue, causes Hector to rush Achiles, who finally performs a disarm and a killing blow.

That's a lot of story for one fight.  But combined with both mens performance you gain access to parts of they character that simply won't come out in any other scene.  It's one thing for a character to tell you who they are, its another for a fight to reveal it.

Let's look at another. 

Yes, its an impressive one-er.  But in terms of chore, pay attention to the use of multiple attackers and how he disengages and reengages.  You believe it because everything looks like it hurts.  There's very few flips, not that many high kicks even.  It's not even particularly fast.  What it has though is logic and realism.  And though the story isn't much more than "Where's my fucking elephant?  Up here?  Cool."  You still gain glimpses of Tony Jaa's character through his move set and mannerisms.  Too many of the LCC entries that deal with multiple attackers try to over think it.  Simplicity almost always wins out.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Thank you, Eddie.

I can't wait for your full commentary in the competition smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

doty

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Got around to watching just over half of the entries tonight. Holy hell guys, Reunion is the best saber fight I have seen in a very long time.

Jeez. Talk about yer space opera. We're approaching peek epicness with these videos. JJ should be shaking in his boots.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Congrats to Nate Caauwe with Brother's Quarrel for the win!

Is this going to make it onto youtube? I started watching the live stream, but when Teague said the youtube version wouldn't be as choppy I decided to wait for that.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's still rather choppy, sadly.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks. I blame a random quantum flux.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/