Re: Hobbit 3 - Battle of the Bloated Trilogy (Soilers)

Doctor Submarine wrote:

But how are Jackson's Hobbit films in any way "child-like"? They're attempting to be just as grim and mature as LOTR. And the violence in The Hobbit is far more gruesome than anything in LOTR. There's like a million beheadings on-screen in The Hobbit.

12 dwarves and Hobbit fall down a canyon, have a several thousand pound giant goblin fall on top of them with a satisfying thud, and the worst that happens is the audience laughs. 12 dwarves and a Hobbit are trapped in barrels going down a river, followed by an army of Orcs, and between a waves of groans from the audience PJ is forcing laugh moments. Entire armies fall to ruin by paper cuts.

It's trying to ride this line of dark and grim, but still trying to be "It's a story for kids yah!", but without actually wanting to face the consequences of what that actually means. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that there's beheading every other second here, I'd say 90% of the fighting in these movies happens without bloodshed. Just slash your sword across their breastplate, they scream and fall down, "Oh the horrors of war." It wants to present the evils of mankind, so it has some asshole in a unibrow dress up in drag and be an asshole. It wants to be epic and grand, but nothing feels real, both in the sense that it's a literally an f-ing cartoon, but also in the fact that I, as someone watching this world, can't interact with or understand the motivations of barely anything going on. These guys do this cause... ehh, and those guys are doing this because- "Shut up and watch the over-saturated cartoons would yah?"

EDIT: Actually thinking about the Goblins again got me thinking, they're a pretty apt metaphor for what I'm trying to say.
Here are the Goblins in LOTR:

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/62147/goblins2.jpg

Terrifying, pointy bits everywhere, skin looks like it's rotting away in parts. Every part of the design is made to instill fear. These are scary mo-fo's.

Here are Goblins in the Hobbit:

http://siliconchickens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/goblins04.jpg

They're bloated, confused, almost all of the points and edges have been filed away. The eyes are just bulging out of the skull like they didn't really know where to put them, and just squished them into the skin roughly where the eyes ought to be. It's all confused, and the result is something that...kiiiiindaaa.... resembles the terrifying visage we knew before, but ultimately is just kind of confusing, and at the end of the day just gets played for laughs anyways...cause "Hah, why would we want to make an enemy that's actually scary right guys? This is a kids movie!"

(And yes, whatever, you can argue it all away with they're a different species of Goblin, blah-blah-whatever-good-job-missing-the-point if you want to)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-12-29 06:39:57)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

On the subject of the violence, it's tempting to forget that you're an adult with years of experience and desensitivation towards more severe forms, but I'd encourage all of us to not to think that the lack of blood spurts and gore somehow makes violence more acceptable or more appropriate for kids. A beheading is still a beheading, and firing an arrow through an orc's head is just as violent without blood as with blood. The DoS EE has been given a 15 rating here in the UK, which puts it on the same level as Taken 2 (which I'm sure we'd all agree is not for kids).

There was a bit of debate over violence and ratings over Christmas (my siblings all have young children) and it was interesting to hear how even 'clean violence' was still influential. I've seen the young ones attempt to duplicate the fighting of Power Rangers, so on the face of it, there's no such thing as clean, appropriate violence, no matter how cartoonish it is. That's probably another topic though.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would not mind having that debate. On another forum, a poster was actually happy to see "wet stuff" referring to the Orc blood on Orkrist making it more realistic. I'm sitting there going, I don't need to see that in order to know that this is a rather violent film.

I agree with BDA in regards to the child-like tone of the film as to the physics, the over-the-top cartoonish actions that he listed. Unfortunately, PJ tried to blend such elements in to a progressively darker film, as Doc mentioned, with the grittier aspects of a war, and beheadings, and torture and madmen and the like. It is, in my opinion, a ridiculous blend that waters down both elements to the point that it is hard to take the film seriously.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Xtroid wrote:

I can't wait to see a good fanedit of Hobbit...

THIS.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

On the subject of the violence, it's tempting to forget that you're an adult with years of experience and desensitivation towards more severe forms, but I'd encourage all of us to not to think that the lack of blood spurts and gore somehow makes violence more acceptable or more appropriate for kids. A beheading is still a beheading, and firing an arrow through an orc's head is just as violent without blood as with blood. The DoS EE has been given a 15 rating here in the UK, which puts it on the same level as Taken 2 (which I'm sure we'd all agree is not for kids).

There was a bit of debate over violence and ratings over Christmas (my siblings all have young children) and it was interesting to hear how even 'clean violence' was still influential. I've seen the young ones attempt to duplicate the fighting of Power Rangers, so on the face of it, there's no such thing as clean, appropriate violence, no matter how cartoonish it is. That's probably another topic though.

Sorry if that's how what I said came off, it's not what I meant.

How do I put this... the problem I'm trying to get at, is that PJ wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wanted The Hobbit to have that child-like wonder and be aimed at a younger audience. Hence why all the silly cartoon physics, and bad physical gags and the funny bad man with the weird eyebrows. But then at the same time, he's trying to directly tie this series into LOTR, so he's trying to bring in all these darker and more violent elements, but he keeps getting tripped up with the whole "younger audience thing" so he keeps pulling his punches.

So at the end of it what we have is this thing weird oblong thing that has a lot of the violence and darkness but all the edges are sanded off. There's lots of fighting, but everyone dies with one hit, there's a beheading or two... but no blood (I still don't know where you're getting this idea that every other orc is getting his head cut off, I remember one maaaaaybe two, but otherwise it's just a bunch of paper cut deaths), there's lots of dangerous situations but no actual danger.

So there's too much violence to really call it a movie suitable for younger audiences, but all the violence that is there is neutered so an adult audience isn't really going to enjoy it because it just feels fake and contrived. So at the end, it's not really a movie made for anyone, it's just bleh.

Hopefully that makes more sense and is closer to what I'm actually trying to say.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

telexandroid wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

But, I will not hold against the Hobbit that it doesn't feel like LOTR. For me, those are two separate entities in terms of tone and style, at least based upon source material.

I think a comparison is warranted, if for no other reason than the success of the adaptation of LOTR. Though, I guess the real lesson is that condensing rather than expanding is what makes for a better film.

Depends on the source material. Imagine if Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs hadn't expanded on the book, but instead not only followed the book but condensed where possible.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
redxavier wrote:

How do I put this... the problem I'm trying to get at, is that PJ wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wanted The Hobbit to have that child-like wonder and be aimed at a younger audience. Hence why all the silly cartoon physics, and bad physical gags and the funny bad man with the weird eyebrows. But then at the same time, he's trying to directly tie this series into LOTR, so he's trying to bring in all these darker and more violent elements, but he keeps getting tripped up with the whole "younger audience thing" so he keeps pulling his punches.

So at the end of it what we have is this thing weird oblong thing that has a lot of the violence and darkness but all the edges are sanded off. There's lots of fighting, but everyone dies with one hit, there's a beheading or two... but no blood (I still don't know where you're getting this idea that every other orc is getting his head cut off, I remember one maaaaaybe two, but otherwise it's just a bunch of paper cut deaths), there's lots of dangerous situations but no actual danger.

So there's too much violence to really call it a movie suitable for younger audiences, but all the violence that is there is neutered so an adult audience isn't really going to enjoy it because it just feels fake and contrived. So at the end, it's not really a movie made for anyone, it's just bleh.

Hopefully that makes more sense and is closer to what I'm actually trying to say.

You know, BDA, we are closer than you think wink

The beheadings, I remember 3 distinctly in AUJ, right off the top-Thror in the Moria battle rememberance, and two in Globin town.

I agree that PJ is trying to have his cake and eat it too. But, the source material is also a child's book, which makes me more forgiving of it than LOTR, which I  take as a much more of an epic, good vs. evil, tale. One is far grander than the other in terms of scale and scope. I think that the Hobbit events can become more epic, but it still should be viewed from the original point of view, in my opinion.

As it is, I think PJ tried too hard to shoehorn in LOTR elements (Legolas, especially) without a clear way of not taking away from the Dwarves' story. I think that is my biggest problem with the Hobbit films.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
telexandroid wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

But, I will not hold against the Hobbit that it doesn't feel like LOTR. For me, those are two separate entities in terms of tone and style, at least based upon source material.

I think a comparison is warranted, if for no other reason than the success of the adaptation of LOTR. Though, I guess the real lesson is that condensing rather than expanding is what makes for a better film.

Depends on the source material. Imagine if Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs hadn't expanded on the book, but instead not only followed the book but condensed where possible.

The problem with that analogy is that CWACOM, the book, doesn't actually have any sort of story inside it. As one of the guys said on the episode for it, "Food falls from the sky...and that's about it.". So in order to adapt it to anything (Unless you wanted to be real artsy and do some sort of 100 minute montage of food falling from the sky) is to add a story. Whereas the Hobbit, the book, already has a fully fleshed out and cohesive, comprehensive story.

And then PJ decided he wanted to add even MORE story and characters and plot.

It depends where your source material starts on the spectrum really.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

(Unless you wanted to be real artsy and do some sort of 100 minute montage of food falling from the sky)

A Film by Terrence Malick...

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not saying I wouldn't watch it, but I don't think it's really for the general market in the way Sony was imagining.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

How do I put this... the problem I'm trying to get at, is that PJ wants to have his cake and eat it too.

I totally agree on that. Sorry, I didn't mean to address the point about the violence to you alone. I just learned the new perspective over christmas and this seemed the most opportune moment to mention it!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, I did the beginning of my podcast review of the Hobbit, and below is a link for the first part of it, as test footage.

I'll probably rerecord it, but any comments would be appreciated smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n7894hwbnz7a … o.mp3?dl=0

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Ok, I did the beginning of my podcast review of the Hobbit, and below is a link for the first part of it, as test footage.

I listened to it, and wanted to keep listening. Looking forward to your psychology take on it, which is yet to come...?
It'd be nice to lay some Hobbit score underneath your commentary but that probably breaches copyright, even if it's not a commercial product you're making.
The theatrical Hobbit 3 will be out on Blu-Ray soon, so you can do a 8 hour trilogy commentary because I don't think Friends in Your Head are gonna be bothered wink

For those (like myself) questioning whether it was a good idea to break it into three movies, we now have the answer from Box Office Mojo - another $1 billion. We should be lucky they didn't break it into four parts.  big_smile

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I listened to it, and wanted to keep listening. Looking forward to your psychology take on it, which is yet to come...?
It'd be nice to lay some Hobbit score underneath your commentary but that probably breaches copyright, even if it's not a commercial product you're making.
The theatrical Hobbit 3 will be out on Blu-Ray soon, so you can do a 8 hour trilogy commentary because I don't think Friends in Your Head are gonna be bothered wink

For those (like myself) questioning whether it was a good idea to break it into three movies, we now have the answer from Box Office Mojo - another $1 billion. We should be lucky they didn't break it into four parts.  big_smile

Yes, the psych part will come towards the end, with more analysis on the themes I see running through the film, and series as a whole.

I'm testing out the format but trying for good parts, bad parts, analysis. Not sure how well that will work, and I don't want to get to technical in the psychological part, mostly because I don't know how entertaining that will be.

If I'm feeling real brave I'll try the commentary track, but I doubt I'll have the uninterrupted silence to really comment on it smile My wife loves the film, and that means no one to watch the kids, whose comments, while entertaining, will probably not be very informative wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apparently the Hobbit trilogy costs $1.1BILLION! and it's dubious whether all the money the NZ taxpayer kicked in (almost $200M!) actually paid off, as there are hardly any locations for tourists to visit...

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2015/09 … yers-191m/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's crazy!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Compare that to LotR, which was under $300 million, and it's rather abundantly clear where a lot of the problem came from.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fan edits have begun to emerge, there's the Tolkient Edit (about 4 hours) and There and Back Again (about 3 hours).
https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/
http://www.maple-films.com/the-hobbit-fanedit
https://ahobbitsholiday.wordpress.com/

So far so good, with some interesting ideas to remove bloated or bollocks sections.

They're using ropey versions of Hobbit 3 at the moment, but I imagine that these will be improved with the release of the EE which will also hopefully provide some additional useful footage to add in, eg more Beorn laying waste to orcs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, I'm looking forward to a good fan edit once all the Extended Editions are out in November and you have about 8 hours of raw material to cull down to about 3-4 hours. The action sequences can be trimmed, a lot of the Kili love subplot, Stephen Fry's assistant in BOTFA, most of the stupid dwarf antics, etc. There might even be a decent movie there for a dedicated editor to extract. Whether it's worth anyone's time - probably several weeks' worth of work...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Indeed.

I knew that several fan edits would come to light, but there is some genuinely good scenes and acting the Hobbit trilogy. It is just drowned out in excess material.

By the way, I have not forgotten my attempt at a review audio podcast. I just decided to wait for the EE so I can see all the material and make my evaluation.

I doubt there will be enough to salvage it but I'll least have seen it all.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, so Hobbit 3 EE is 'available'. It's definitely a lot more violent, and the battle scenes are the most expanded element of the film (understandable given the nature of this one).

There's no fix for the Ravenhill scenes (obviously), and these are still probably the weakest parts of the film (it's needlessly convoluted and the whole 'Kili and Fili are sent ahead to investigate' stuff makes no sense).

It's also filled with humour that's a whole lot funnier than 99% of the Alfrid stuff. I'm amazed at how out of place his scenes are. He's Jar Jar Binks level awful in this.

There are a couple of scenes, including a bit with Legolas, which are absurdly ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to getting the bluray and listening to the commentary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't...can't. I probably will never watch any of these movies again. In my life.

I was too young to be upset by the Star Wars prequels, but after watching these, I finally understood how upsetting it can be.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Just ploughing through the 11 hours of extras on the blu-ray EE set. Amazing bonus features, as always. Peter Jackson's team does the best DVD extras by far, ever since LOTR. Must be 70 hours worth in total for the two trilogies. Some parts are warts 'n all. Some are just contrived "funny" events that happened on set, rather than a technical lecture on behind-the-scenes. Very watchable. The craft of Weta Workshop is extraordinary. They burned through more money that you didn't see on screen than the entire budgets of other tentpole movies.

The commentary is alright - but I get the sense both Jackson and Boyens are happy to see the last of Middle Earth. Jackson doesn't seen very knowledgeable on the Tolkien mythology despite being immersed in the universe for 15 years. It's not that informative and repeats material already in the extensive Appendices.

Now waiting for some fan commentaries of the EE Hobbit movies (wish it was a FIYH marathon) and a fan edit.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm steadily watching The Hobbit: The Tolkien Edit, which is a 4:21h long super cut of all the movies.
I haven't watched The Battle of the Five Armies yet either, so I'll watch this now, and then maybe later watch all the extended editions and see for myself, but for now, I just want the story, not the bloated exposition and side-plots that are too mushy and pointless, even for a season of One Tree Hill.

But yeah, my point is, there are actually several fan edits out there. This one in particular has gotten some great reviews as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

I'm steadily watching The Hobbit: The Tolkien Edit, which is a 4:21h long super cut of all the movies.
I haven't watched The Battle of the Five Armies yet either, so I'll watch this now, and then maybe later watch all the extended editions and see for myself, but for now, I just want the story, not the bloated exposition and side-plots that are too mushy and pointless, even for a season of One Tree Hill.

But yeah, my point is, there are actually several fan edits out there. This one in particular has gotten some great reviews as well.

That Tolkien edit came out in January or so, long before the additional 25 minutes in the BOTFA extended edition, so misses the funeral and Dain coronation, etc. In fact it came out before the HD theatrical release.
It's only now in November that all the material is there for an editor to draw upon. In fact, the appendices show some partially finished deleted scenes too that could be used as well as source material.

Last edited by avatar (2015-11-30 11:00:29)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down