Topic: P&P: Wedding Shooting

In the spirit of the first Process & Procedure thread, P&P: General Editing, here's another place for us to share our experience, workflow and ideas.

Every videographer, I think, will at some point in their personal or professional career shoot an event. Weddings in particular are a common place for a videographer to cut their teeth. My particular area of expertise is with weddings, and I'd like to share our process on one of the biggest day's of our clients' lives.

Many use wedding videography as a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things, but some stay in the industry and develop into big names with incredible products. I'd like to think that the company I work for is one of them; though I'm obviously biased, I'd say we're the best videographers in the region, though some of the world-class stuff I've seen sets a lofty goal to aim for.

This particular post is a lightly edited cross post from the, erm, interesting Wedding Photography! thread. The less said about that, the better.

If there's one thing you need to have for wedding videography (okay, smartass, aside from a camera), it's a lot of preparation. In fact last night was one where we did everything right but hadn't prepared our timeline properly ahead of time; we shot it well and got good results but it didn't really click as something amazing.

I'm going to run through a general timeline, broken up into sections of the day with SPOILER tags. Keep in mind that my thing is videography, not photography, though the company I work for primarily offers both as combination packages. I see the photogs doing their thing and could do it in a pinch if I had to but it's not my forte.

Getting Ready Show
Getting Ready

The girls are getting ready at someone's house, or the hotel room, or maybe getting hair and makeup done at a salon ahead of time. The guys are doing the same, except for the salon.

We arrive at least fifteen minutes before our scheduled start time, introduce ourselves so the bridesmaids aren't all of a sudden "ah cameras!" and get establishing shots.

Getting Ready, or Bridal Prep, is a good indicator of how the day will go. Is the bride stressed? Is there a tense family dynamic from divorced parents? Or is it awesome and happy and yay? The more stress there is, the more judicious you have to be about where you point the camera and even where you are; two or three guys with cameras in a smallish room can be pressure that the bride doesn't need. Step out for a bit and come back in when things are better. Whether because of this or even if things are going well, make sure you also have time to shoot details like the dress (ALWAYS the dress), any jewelry, shoes, and rings. (Typically we get shots of the rings now but sometimes we don't have access to all of them, so we get them later at night.)

If your timetable, which you've worked out with the couple ahead of time, gives you time to get some shots of the guys getting ready, then go for it. Alternatively a second team getting the guys works great too. This is far less demanding; see them in their slacks and undershirts, then putting on vests, ties, jackets, then detail shots of cufflinks and/or any other cool items they're using, be they superhero flasks or, um, lightsabers.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/1377556_602913903088532_880485132_n.jpg?oh=81a490208adedf04b3315ac8bad7357b&oe=54AE64A0&__gda__=1421965703_04eb35aea2a80c038e0c2ffb827406e4

The groom and his guys are generally easygoing, but there's a possibility that cameras in the room can stifle the atmosphere, so again shoot what you need to and get out, or at least minimize your footprint. We had three thooters (one photo, one video, one intern) in a smallish hotel room earlier this season and sent one of our guys out so we weren't crowding them.

If you've got the team for it, you may two-shoot the bride getting into her dress (as in, have two cameras rolling), but it's generally not needed.

First Look Show
First Look

The First Look is increasing in popularity. I wish I had done one at mine a year ago. It lets the couple see each other in a private moment and work out off of those jitters from how beautiful she is, or how nicely he cleans up. (I didn't realize it but apparently I was so nervous during my ceremony that I was rather pale, which was easier to spot because of light rosacea I had at the time. I was also barely able to pay attention to what was being said, and being able to watch it later wityh a clearer head is a note in favor of videography in general. srsly do eet)

We roll two cameras as a rule, one on the bride on her approach and a close-up on the groom as he turns around and sees her for the first time. Sometimes we do a wide third shot if the location is particularly stunning and breathtaking. After that moment and a minute or so of "wow" and hugging and kissing, the photographer will start to get photos of the couple and the bridal party. (Another reason for a first look is to get these out of the way beforehand so you can enjoy your cocktail hour, which is another reason for my regret of not doing one.) One camera is fine, just follow the photographer and get shots of what they're shooting. Close-ups, wides, couple and full bridal party. Ask the photographer if you can take the reins for a couple shots and get some with movement or cheering, something that video can do that photo cannot.

Once you feel you've gotten enough, depart to start preparing your ceremony.

Ceremony Show
Ceremony

This is important. This is why you've been hired. Do this right and do not fuck up.

Arrive an hour ahead of time to set up your gear. Yesterday my assistant and I, due to improper preparation of the timeline and not knowing the layout of the venue, arrived at 3:30 for a 4:00 ceremony. We unpacked a ton of gear for a somewhat long walk and prepared our five-camera setup and were ready at 3:59. (Ceremony ended up starting twenty five minutes late, but we were ready for it to be on time.) Don't leave it to this. I was stressed and wasn't thinking clearly when I needed to be, or I would have seen the opportunity for a really neat additional GoPro angle before it was too late to add in.

The simplest way to shoot a ceremony is to have a wide camera as a dump shot and another camera that you move around with getting tight shots. If you've got the equipment though, I recommend at least four - a wide shot, a tight shot down the center aisle with the bride, groom and officiant, and a dedicated camera on each side, one for the bride's face and one for the groom's. Add to this any specialty cameras you want - we add one or two GoPros for additional angles.

Because this is your reason for being there, don't be afraid to have gear that you use for only this half hour of the day (or hour). We have a Panasonic video camera that's not great visual quality but has two XLR inputs; this is our wide camera. We have a 75-300 variable aperture zoom lens that's a pain with moving targets and ick, variable aperture; this is our center aisle lens for getting a great three shot even from near the back of a church.

Get at least one lavalier microphone to put on the officiant to hear him and catch the couples' vows. Ideally you'll have a second on the groom for backup. (One groom refused to wear a mic then the officiant muted his, we asked the couple to come in to ADR their vows because they were awesome and we didn't have them. We can now keep the mics from being muted but still insist to the groom on a backup in case of equipment failure.) We also have two audio recorders. In a church, one is placed on the lectern for readings, and a second near the live musicians, if any. Outside there's typically a DJ set up so our audio recorder is plugged into that to get clear audio. Let me state this plainly: get clear audio. Without it you're just a sequence of photographs, and then why were you hired when the photographer is already there?

A larger team for the ceremony helps to keep all of these pieces of equipment operating smoothly and pointed where they need to be, but if it's just you, plan your time and movements carefully. Know if your cameras stop recording and need to be restarted at the [12, 30, etc] minute mark and you need to restart them before they hit that on their own. Keep a constant eye on battery levels and know the time limit of your cards in case they need to be swapped. Move calmly, never appearing rushed. If you can monitor your audio feed, check it to make sure you're loud enough but not clipping. When the point of interest moves, figure out which camera needs to shoot it and adjust that one first, and then the others accordingly.

Planning ahead helps, as does keeping a cool head in the moment. Keep it together and before you know it, the ceremony is done. Now it's time for family photos.

Family Photos Show
Family Photos

Ignore.

Okay, so. As a videographer these aren't really important. If you have a ton of time in your schedule, then get a few shots, with the parents at least. But if you're pressed for time, break down your gear and head to the reception. The photographer's got this and video won't add too much to the moment.

If the couple didn't do a first look, the photos with the two of them will be after family photos, so try to work that into your schedule ahead of time so you can do so. (A first look makes things easier on your vendors too, just saying.)

This is the one point that I'll talk about photographers, because this is where they must shine. Preparation is key, knowing all of the family shot combinations the couple wants and wrangling them all. An assistant here is paramount to let people know who's on deck. A smoothly run family photo session can be a joy, whereas if it's even slightly botched, people begin to question your professionalism. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Reception Show
Reception

This is what the couple has been planning for the last year and a half. The ceremony is nice but come on man, the party.

Once again, get here an hour early if possible. You'll probably have less gear but there's some coordinating to do as well. Our typical reception formality setup is a wide DSLR, a tight DSLR, and a GoPro and/or a third DSLR for emotional reactions - people cheering during the grand entrance, crying during dances, and so forth. We also have two video lights to properly light the dance floor (and the grand entrance approach if it's not well lit) and an audio recorder to plug into the DJ/band's system for clear audio during the entrance, dances and toasts.

Talk with the band leader or DJ to find out where everybody is entering from and what they're doing, and prepare your cameras and lights accordingly. If you have a preferred spot for people to stand during toasts, let the DJ know so they can let the toast-givers know where to stand.

Though there's a lot of formalities during the reception, the formula of wide/tight/reaction works great throughout. Wide shot of the dance floor with people in the background for dances and a tight shot on the dancing couple; wide shot of the couple (plus speaker if they're there) during toasts with a tight shot on the speaker. Bouquet/Garter toss, um, you're sorta on your own. For tosses get a closeup on the tosser (snrk, sorry) and a wide shot of the ladies/men catching (srk, can't help it, I swear I'm a professional here), and for garter retrieval/placing, more First Look style, each camera pointed at one of the subjects.

Again, preparation is key. If you have a team, know before the shoot who has which role. When you get to the location, use your hour of prep time to set up not just the first dance but go over with your team where everything will be, who's responsible for moving cameras and lights. Have a method of communicating with your team, such as the following: something unexpected happens and the assistant looks at the lead videographer. The lead points to the assistant, then holds up one finger, signifying 1 shot, or close-up on the speaker, during the toast because the speaker didn't move where they were told and the assistant, who was going to get a wide shot, is in a better location for the tight shot. You know, for example. Having agreed-upon nonverbal communication (as well as radios with earpieces) can help your team move smoothly.

After formalities are done, you're in open dancing. Shoot stuff with whatever gear you've got. No need to two-shoot unless an impromptu event breaks out (or if like at my wedding, we told the team we wanted continuous, multi-angle video rolling on "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" because it's kind of a thing with my wife's family). Snipe people's dancing, happy faces with a tight lens on a tripod; smoothly move through the dance floor with a wide lens on a GlideCam; get cool stuff. Flex your creative muscles.

Get ring shots if you haven't done so already. If the photographer does night photography, tag along.

Chances are you won't leave by your end time. If you're set to leave at 10:30, you probably won't be out of there until 11, even if you had your assistant start packing up non-essential gear at 10.

A lot goes on during a wedding. A mantra I heard early on is, "Every wedding is the same, every wedding is different." After you've done, say, ten weddings, you'll have a good idea of what goes on in one so you'll be prepared, but you also need to be adaptable for weird stuff happening within that constant framework. Once again, it all comes back to preparation. Talk to the couple ahead of time, have a timeline, go over it with your team, and be ready for anything.

All that's left to do now is edit the thing.

Hopefully some of you found that helpful, and I look forward to seeing what others do by comparison.

Last edited by Boter (2015-12-09 21:21:58)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: P&P: Wedding Shooting

A guy I know does audio for weddings and this year he wants to branch out and do video as well. Since I'm his go to video guy he approached me to do this with him. Our current plan to get several GoPro's and mount them around the ceremony as well as have me walk around with one. This gives us several different angles to work with when editing to keep things more interesting instead of being one looooong ass shot of the whole thing. For the reception we'll do something similar as well as have one set off to the side with a mic for people to leave video messages. Does this make sense? Any suggestions? Are we completely fucking this up? Fourth thing?

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it's a great idea, one that I'd bring to the reception, too. Put GoPro's on all the tables, and attach them to various adults and children to get pretty much all the perspectives. Just remember to bring 128GB cards, and loads of batteries.

And a rich uncle, of course. That amount of GoPro's isn't cheap.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've shot a couple of weddings (stills only), and the thing I realized almost immediately is that, two weeks after the event, nobody cares about anything but a couple of formal portraits of the couple. Everything else is barely a curiosity. That's true of most events, really.

But AT THE TIME, specific shots may be of ENORMOUS importance to some people.  wink

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yes and no. There are a few stills from my own wedding outside of the formals that I love; hell, one of them I use as my standard profile pic on YouTube, Twitter, etc. Granted, you're looking at one shot out of fifty in those cases, a much lower ratio than from the formals, but it's still worth it to me for a photo of the crowded dance floor with my wife's cousin making the silliest face, his daughter on his shoulders; or the random video shot of my dad asking my grandmother for a dance and her face just lighting up.

ShadowDuelist, GoPros are a great "fire-and-forget" tool. As I said, we often use a couple during the ceremony for two reasons. First, the ultra-wide angle can give an impressive view of a majestic cathedral that you can't get on DSLR until you're getting a 14mm lens just for the job. Second, they can be placed relatively inconspicuously. In a church, as long as the pastor has no objections, they can be placed in the sanctuary facing out to get a shot of the gathered guests, in a pergola for a top-down view of the couple and the officiant, and even on light stands to get up ten, twelve, fifteen feet for a unique establishing shot angle. The high establishing shot is also why we have one as a dump shot during the reception. (It'll also double as a guest reaction shot when they're laughing during the toasts.)

I wouldn't use a GoPro, personally, for roving shots, whether intended to be used in motion or just going place to place. If you plan on moving during the ceremony you're better off with something with a nice long lens so that you can get closeups on the couple and maybe their parents in the seats, again for reaction shots. As for video booth messages, a GoPro would be too wide for one or two people talking into a microphone, but if you have a different camera for your main camera there it can provide a neat behind the scenes angle.

Tom's idea of GoPros on tables has merit, but as he said it'd be pretty expensive. If you were to do it at all, I'd place it on the parent tables during toasts, especially if you don't have an assistant videographer getting establishing shots for you. Also as Tom mentioned, battery life is a concern. A GoPro Hero 3 Black lasts for about an hour and a half, plus an hour with a battery pack on the back. Bring spares, especially if you have an hour long ceremony ahead of you. (Your battery should last the ceremony but you'll need to swap if you want to use it during the reception at all.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

GoPros on the wrists of the happy couple for the ring ceremony - a tad invasive but and idea

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've seen video of a GoPro in the bride's bouquet but that's obviously a preproduction thing, designing the bouquet from the ground up to be able to hold it, making sure she's holding it that way forward as she walks down the aisle, and that the maid of honor holds it camera out during the ceremony (or if it's placed on the ground or a table, camera out). Invasive in preproduction and the bride needs to be enthusiastic about it, but not incredibly apparent to guests that it's there.

Another idea: GoPro on the toss bouquet tongue

Boter wrote:

I wouldn't use a GoPro, personally, for roving shots, whether intended to be used in motion or just going place to place. If you plan on moving during the ceremony you're better off with something with a nice long lens so that you can get closeups on the couple and maybe their parents in the seats, again for reaction shots.

This is a good point. The original impetus to use all the same camera was so that some shots would not be of a noticeably different quality than others. Should this even be a concern? What camera would you recommend? We're planning on getting Hero4 Silvers for our GoPros.

Boter wrote:

As for video booth messages, a GoPro would be too wide for one or two people talking into a microphone, but if you have a different camera for your main camera there it can provide a neat behind the scenes angle.

My understanding is that the newer GoPros have a not-wide-as-fuck mode. I've never worked with one, but I think that should work for this? I wish I had one to mess around with. hmm

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

I think it's a great idea, one that I'd bring to the reception, too. Put GoPro's on all the tables, and attach them to various adults and children to get pretty much all the perspectives.

Boter wrote:

Tom's idea of GoPros on tables has merit, but as he said it'd be pretty expensive. If you were to do it at all, I'd place it on the parent tables during toasts, especially if you don't have an assistant videographer getting establishing shots for you.

While we're not getting that man GoPros, attaching some of them to people is an idea worth considering, thanks.

Tomahawk wrote:

Just remember to bring 128GB cards, and loads of batteries.

Boter wrote:

Also as Tom mentioned, battery life is a concern. A GoPro Hero 3 Black lasts for about an hour and a half, plus an hour with a battery pack on the back. Bring spares, especially if you have an hour long ceremony ahead of you. (Your battery should last the ceremony but you'll need to swap if you want to use it during the reception at all.)

I hadn't even thought to consider battery life yet, thanks for bringing it up.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

The original impetus to use all the same camera was so that some shots would not be of a noticeably different quality than others. Should this even be a concern? What camera would you recommend? We're planning on getting Hero4 Silvers for our GoPros.

Considering budget here for a few moments, it will be a lot cheaper to get a gaggle of GoPros and upgrade later. If you have no cameras at all this might be a good choice for an event or two but you'll soon start to sorely miss tha bility to get close-ups. By contrast, the Hero 3 and onwards will stand quite favorably with DSLRs. Not quite at the same level (depending on the DSLR) but a bit of color correction generally solves that.

In editing, we use the GoPros sparingly; though they're running the whole time, unless they have the perfect angle for something happening (lighting unity candles or a great view from a pergola) they're only shown occasionally, so if they're slightly worse quality it's not that bad.

Examples:
1:50 in the video here is a GoPro on a light stand, a single shot is used for flavor. It looked almost this good off the camera and needed just a bit of modification after that.
GoPros also are great at timelapse establishing shots.

A mid-to-high-end full frame isn't required for your main camera, though, especially as you're getting started out. Budget DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are doing amazing things nowadays, and offer great versatility with interchangeable lenses; they'll often come with a kit lens that had a great zoom range as well for when you're just getting started with it.

As for GoPro models, the Hero 4 Silver has the LCD back and the Black doesn't, which probably affects battery life. I'd look up a comparison chart between the Hero 4 series and the Hero 3/3+ series to get a good balance between visual quality and battery life.

ShadowDuelist wrote:

My understanding is that the newer GoPros have a not-wide-as-fuck mode. I've never worked with one, but I think that should work for this? I wish I had one to mess around with. hmm

I forgot about that. That mode crops the sensor so you'll get more noise, which is alright in daytime but in low light will have a very noticeable quality degradation. It'll be worth playing with once you get your camera.

Vicar's Hat cam? Just throwing it out there?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Religious officiants are often hesitant enough letting you place a camera on the altar or even get close at all. (My boss shot one this year where he was limited to the balcony. Period.) Awesome if you can do it but asking might just make the priest/pastor/whomever very wary about working with you.

Wait, if jesus was real, he'd be so be down with the gopro - He totally would have captured  himself walking on water with GoPros and tweet vid'd it immediately!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you're on a relatively tight budget, and the most of the ceremonies are during bright daytime, you could do a lot with the re-released GoPro Hero. It's going for $125(at GoPro.com), whereas Hero 4 Silver is $380. Add to that that the LCD isn't good for anything but power consumption.

When I had a GoPro earlier this year(which I sold because I didn't actually need one), I originally wanted an LCD screen for it, but all the places I attached it rendered a screen completely obsolete. Inaccessible and unseen.

Now, of course, for a reception, you'd want to go with Black Editions. The low light function of those babies is unrivaled, compared to the other models. Here's a quick review of just that:

Boter: My idea with the GoPros all over the place, is to literally place them everywhere. I mean, getting them in key locations to film the couple and their families is a given, but if you consider the reception as a party, it'd be pretty fun, at least for me, to see how everyone was doing. Even that twice removed distant relative dude that nobody recalls inviting. If everyone had a good time, I'd love to see just that.

That being said, I'm not getting married this decade. Or the next.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2015-01-10 11:04:25)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Interesting idea but man I would not want to be that editor tongue

Yeah, low light on the Black series from the 3 on up is great. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure the 4 is even better.

Kinda wanted to bring this thread back, after nearly a year of inactivity. Tom asked me for some more detailed advice on shooting a wedding (hmm I wonder why, haha) and I was able to offer it, but without a visual aid I could only offer so much.

My cousin got married this past Halloween. I used my Sony a99 and GoPro Hero 3 Black; in addition to these I was able to borrow a Canon 6D and the Panasonic AG-HMC150P. I had two Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless lapel mic sets (plugged into the Panasonic via XLR) and a couple tripods, a monopod and a 13ft light stand.

The setup:

GoPro mounted on top of the light stand, using the app to make sure the framing was good. Wide dump angle, got the whole building and most guests in frame.

Panasonic in back to the left, above the guests in the amphitheatre. Wide shot of the stage, also suitable dump angle.

6D in the back looking up the middle. There was no center aisle (the entrance was by a path off to the side) so Steph, manning the camera, had to adjust its placement a bit to see around heads at the start before guests sat back down. (Look for my mother in an orange wig in the edge of the frame.)

Me on the a99 on a monopod, roaming from one side to the other. I mostly stayed on the groom's side looking at the bride, which also set me up with a great angle on the processional down the side aisle. I switched to the groom's side after some shots of the bride, and lucked out; they didn't mess around and pretty quickly went into their vows, the groom going first, so I was set up for that. As soon as he finished I switched back to get the bride reading hers.

I had one lapel mic on the groom (transmitter clipped to his belt since he wasn't wearing a jacket) and one on the officiant (this is the first time I've ever mic'd up the Grim Reaper before so it was a bit hard to find a spot that wouldn't continually get rubbed against the fabric on the hood; I think we clipped it on one of the forward edges of the hood in front of his face).

I did not have a clear source of audio for the music, which was, best as I can tell, played off of someone's phone. It stuttered a bit and they didn't even play the recessional music, so I asked for the names of the tracks from the bride and edited those in so it'd be clearer. (I love her music choices.)

lastly I made sure to get some b-roll. The bride ran late to the ceremony location so while people were waiting I scanned the crowd and got shots of them, including a shot of the bride's mom near the start. (I'm sure I got the groom's family too but I wouldn't know them by sight and didn't include them.) When a bunch of leaves fell, I made sure to get some b-roll of falling leaves as well. If you have the manpower for it, reaction shots can help add depth to the video, and shooting b-roll before or after the ceremony can help too (particularly if the could did a unity ceremony, like a candle or sand).

It was an odd location, but it worked out. GoPro, additional wide, center camera and roaming side camera. If you're looking to shoot a wedding ceremony this might be helpful to study.

I'm currently in the process of editing my wedding video, the best advice I can give is make sure you get a Norwegian and a frenchman to film it.

cool

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Well, I brought the Norwegian Wood, and Saniss brought The French Connection.

You just can't go wrong with that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You were obviously in tremendously capable hands.  big_smile