Topic: Star Wars 7 reviews (non-spoiler)

This is the counterpart to the spoiler-y off topic discussion thread, cause I'm not seeing the movie until Christmas Eve but I'd like to hear general thoughts from you who see it first.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Star Wars 7 reviews (non-spoiler)

On my first viewing, I liked it lot. It's a crowd-pleaser of a movie, provoking laughs, ahs, cheers and shocks. The three new protagonists are utterly endearing and Boyega has superb chemistry with both Daisy and Oscar. I buy all the character moments and their motivations. It's like a modern superhero comic movie, firing on all cylinders.

Seeing it a second time, I loved it. I believe this is the kind of movie that may get better with every viewing. So much stuff to notice. So many great lines. I can't wait for the bluray. I have a hearing problem so some of the dialogue of the masked characters I found difficult to hear, so it would be great to read the subtitles for these parts. The sound volume did seem louder this second time, so I did hear a lot of things I missed the first time.

It's by no means flawless. There's a CGI character that likely won't age well and there didn't seem to me to be that many stand out new music themes. There are lots of key story and setting details that are left untold, but that's not necessarily a failing.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I liked it. I thought it was a nice "Welcome Back" to Star Wars. The characters were great. Actors did a great job. It moved fast, and only had a few moments that lingered and let you take it in, and then it was right back into it. I really want to see it again.

There is one issue that I think not many are pointing out that I think is worth noting, but it's a spoiler.

SPOILER Show
The overall plot is basically a rehash of A New Hope. The characters are different, but the main events of the story are the same. Good guys neeed droid that holds important information. Droid runs into Every-man characters that help it. Every-man characters help droid get back to good guys. Reveals that every-man characters have connections to the larger story. Bad guys have big super weapon. Every-man characters help good guys destroy super weapon, and the bad guys are defeated for now. The new main characters are different, but the story is basically the same. I really hope the sequels go in a different direction than the orginal trilogy.

I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it multiple times.

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2015-12-19 02:41:39)

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FireFighter214 wrote:

There is one issue that I think not many are pointing out that I think is worth noting, but it's a spoiler.

SPOILER Show
The overall plot is basically a rehash of A New Hope. The characters are different, but the main events of the story are the same. Good guys neeed droid that holds important information. Droid runs into Every-man characters that help it. Every-man characters help droid get back to good guys. Reveals that every-man characters have connections to the larger story. Bad guys have big super weapon. Every-man characters help good guys destroy super weapon, and the bad guys are defeated for now. The new main characters are different, but the story is basically the same. I really hope the sequels go in a different direction than the orginal trilogy.

Everybody and their mother is pointing that out haha.

Show
I wasn't crazy about the self-contained plot of the movie. I get it, it's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme. Just kind of felt flat to me. That being said, I'm excited about the characters they set up and where they can go from here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:
FireFighter214 wrote:

SPOILER Show

Everybody and their mother is pointing that out haha.

Show
I wasn't crazy about the self-contained plot of the movie. I get it, it's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme. Just kind of felt flat to me. That being said, I'm excited about the characters they set up and where they can go from here.

Yeah I see that now. One thing I hope to get out of the new movie is that there some kind of acknowledgement of the aftermath of the First Orders actions.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down