Re: The Star Wars 7 Thread (SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY. ALL THE SPOILERS.)

I suppose at some point there had to be that first guy who discovered the Jedi mind trick, Jedi patient zero. He felt the Force flow through him and intuited that "Oh hey, I think I might be able to mind-fuck this dude into doing what I want" as opposed to being taught how to do that.  I would think then that it's possible to discover a power on your own if you've got high midichlorian--I mean, if the Force is strong enough in you. My personal interpretation was that we have a prima facie case of that with Rey.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A discussion in a bar? Personal invention? A flashback moment? Joseph Campbell is turning in his grave. Heroes need to be trained.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

This is true. But Campbell's probably still making like a rotisserie about the prequels.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

This is true. But Campbell's probably still making like a rotisserie about the prequels.

Is he, tho? Anakin was born in mystery, raised by rustics, secret greatness revealed in a contest, trained by a wizard, falls for a princess, rides a giant tick, slaughters a bunch of children, and gets his arms and legs chopped off. I think that's all in Hero With A Thousand Faces.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I mean, I guess?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

...vs spontaneously making a souffle after someone hits you with a souffle pan.

I'd say it's more like making a souffle after watching Alton Brown make one on a Good Eats episode recently. It's still not gonna turn out great, but it'll be passable.

Squiggly_P wrote:

They should have given a more concrete reason for why or how she could use the force so well OR they should have hung a lantern on it like "how the fuck did you do that?" and have her just not know and be confused. At least acknowledge it.

They did, kind of. "How did you get out?" "I don't know, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you." Something to that effect. ("Escape now, hug later. 'Kay?")

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

So what do we have to do to get Trey in here to tell us what he thought of the movie?

I know he said on Twitter he liked it, but I need more from our resident old guy tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We may have to coin a new SW version of the save the cat phrase - 'repair a droid'. The moment that Rey fixes BB-8's antenna is so effective in making us like her, perhaps without us even realising.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:

So what do we have to do to get Trey in here to tell us what he thought of the movie?

I know he said on Twitter he liked it, but I need more from our resident old guy tongue

Hopefully we'll get a DIF/WAYDM reunion commentary once the movie comes out on home video.

I was cautiously optimistic and I got exactly what I expected - a fairly enjoyable J.J. Abrams space adventure movie ("J.J. Abrams space adventure movies" are now almost a genre unto themselves) with some "fridge logic" issues.

Instead of having a truly original story, they decided to play it safe by rehashing the first movie (with some elements from TESB and ROTJ); obviously that's a pretty big flaw. But most of the other elements work just fine. The acting is solid, the banter is funny and the entire thing is fun to watch. Finally we got a Star Wars movie that's FUN TO WATCH. While TFA is no masterpiece, it's a step in the right direction.

And yes, "Snoke" is a retarded name (but the character design itself dosen't bother me much).

Last edited by MartyJ (2015-12-27 21:59:06)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we get a John Boyega: Attack the Block/Force Awakens re-dubbing made? I'd love to see Finn spouting some of Moses' lines at BB8 and the gang.

Make it happen you video editing nerds!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

The thing about JJ is that he always does this. He likes to have mysterious shit happen in his stories and then hints that maybe the next installment is going to explain that shit or provide you with an answer. But then your odds of actually getting any answers are like 50/50. He might just forget or not bother. It's an issue I have with just about everything he and that Lindelhof hack have ever touched, though JJ isn't nearly as bad about it. JJ tends to over-explain shit that doesn't need it and vaguely hint at shit that's actually kind of important.

I feel like they'll cover this shit in the next movie, tho. She clearly has some kind of history that she either forgot (or repressed dur dur dur), or was just too young to really remember it all that well.

I agree, tho, that if you're making an adventure film for a general audience, your best bet is to keep the plots more or less self-contained and let the character's individual stories be the thread that you want to follow through the series.

Well, we finally got the live TV series that was mooted a few years ago. Except it's on the big screen.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really enjoyed it. Does kinda rehash episode 4, but meh. There's enough new stuff and a sense of fun that makes me not care so much about that.

Oh, and Rey was cool. People keep complaining about her Mary Sue-ish nature, but that didn't really bother me too much.
Also, she reminds me of another character who is pretty good at mystic powers with little training and is discovering her connection to a higher power...

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is a really nitty nitpick, but they held the final shots of Luke and Rey's encounter really long.

Look at cloak, look at Rey, look at cloak. Cloak turns!
Look at Luke, now back to Rey! Now back to luke! Now back to Rey!
Rey holds out saber! Now back to Luke! Now back to Rey!

Now a flying shot of the the two of them with Rey awkwardly holding out the saber for an uncomfortable length of time!!!

I'm exaggerating, but it felt weird.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-12-28 19:31:26)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

This is a really nitty nitpick, but they held the final shots of Luke and Rey's encounter really long.

Look at cloak, look at Rey, look at cloak. Cloak turns!
Look at Luke, now back to Rey! Now back to luke! Now back to Rey!
Rey holds out saber! Now back to Luke! Now back to Rey!

Now a flying shot of the the two of them with Rey awkwardly holding out the saber for an uncomfortable length of time!!!

Amazon Delivery for a Mr Skywalker

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

No. You're not. It was a baaaaaaaad sequence of shots. That helicopter shot apparently zoomed in from the moon or something was one of the most nauseating things I've ever seen in a theatre. Whoever looked at that and went YES this is what we should end our movie with deserves to be flushed out an airlock.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-28 22:48:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I didn't like the helicopter shot, because it looked like the most un-star warsy shot in all of star wars to me, but I was perfectly fine with the shots leading up to it. I think the payoff to finally seeing Luke again after so long buys you the stageyness of them staring silently at each other for quite a while as Rey holds the lightsaber out. I just wish we'd irised out on a close up of Luke instead.

And the final sequences in Star Wars movies are always stagey as hell anyway. Just look at the final shot in ROTJ.

But yeah, bad helicopter shot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/star-wars-cast-luke-skywalker.jpg

Caption Competition...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My caption would be "They maybe should've ended the film on THIS shot."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"thank the Force that damned droid finally rebooted. I started the update to Marshmallow 20 years ago!"

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Where we're going, we don't need light sabers"

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

End on a shot of Luke and also, Rey, honey, that's the business end of the lightsaber. You don't point that end at people you like. Didn't you learn how to hand somebody scissors in kindergarten?

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

End on a shot of Luke and also, Rey, honey, that's the business end of the lightsaber. You don't point that end at people you like. Didn't you learn how to hand somebody scissors in kindergarten?

To be fair, scissors aren't likely to accidentally extend 3.5 feet backwards and stab you through the chest if you brush the wrong button. tongue From that distance that probably is the safest way to point it.

Not that it doesn't look weird in the moment of course. but logically thinking. Accidentally stab the thin air, or accidentally stab myself... decisions decisions.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-29 03:00:51)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Or... hold it perpendicular so it's not pointed at either of us.

Personally, I feel that the ending of this movie goes on for far too long. There is so much movie before Starkiller base and so much movie after it that it starts to feel like a footnote. It stops being important and sucks impact out of the climax. I feel like Luke shouldn't have been in this movie, this movie we're building a treasure map, next movie we go find the treasure.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Or Luke then slowly pulls out two red double-ended light sabers and gets ready to tango...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Or Luke then slowly pulls out two red double-ended light sabers and gets ready to tango...

...and then literally starts to tango.

Rey feels very awkward.

Lando suddenly appears with a rose between his teeth.

Credits.

ZangrethorDigital.ca