Re: The Star Wars 7 Thread (SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY. ALL THE SPOILERS.)

If that's what it takes to avoid that terrible helicopter shot, I'm ok with that.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Luke upon seeing Rey: So now I gotta pay child support?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from my second viewing. All round definitely enjoyed it a lot more the second time through, was able to pick out as lot of cool stuff and the things that bothered me before just blended into the tapestry of it all. Which was cool.

Although there are still some serious things that are just outright wrong with it.

A) That fucking end sequence. it was even more cringy the second time. Long passionate look from Rey. Long confused intense look from Luke. Even longer passionate look from Rey. Long, even more confused and intense look from Luke. Giant nauseating helicopter shot. Just. No. Guys. Stop.

B) The Rathkar sequence just doesn't work. It's cartoony, and goofy in all the wrong ways. But I think I figured out why. The Rathkars are the only creature in this movie that distinctly COULDN'T be a practical effect. They're all flaily and fast and wild, everything about them screams DIGITAL CREATURE. Plus the concept of them, the whole rolly polly tentacle bowling ball with a mouth thing is just... too much. Way too much. (And yes I know, Maz probably couldn't be a practical effect either, but she's just sitting there talking and walking around. She's not bouncing off the walls or doing Yoda flips. She could conceivably be a very very high tech practical effect and it wouldn't change anything about her performance.)

C) This one's more to blame on the marketting and buzz so it's kinda a half complaint/ half compliment. Phasma was built up as this Badass Stormtrooper character that was gonna be a huge character. She was plastered all over the hype machine and the marketing, and ooo we've got this really awesome, strong female character that's super awesome and badass...AAAAANNNNDDDD she's in exactly 2 scenes, the second one she dies after...off screen. Great job guys. NOW that said, looking at just how the movie works, I think she's awesome. She's this one clearly badass commander chick, that's there being all badass and chromey and nothings made of it. And then she comes back later and is snarky and Finn gets to go all street on her (which...eehhh...still have some character issues with Finn.). And then she's gone. She's just this really weird, unique piece of texture to the First Order that we haven't gotten before.

D) Finn. God bless him man, but damn. His characterization just doesn't work. He's supposed to be a guy who was raised from childhood to be a soldier. That's LITERALLY the only thing he's known his entire life, is being a soldier in a military system. And now he's breaking out of that system, because he doesn't believe in it anymore. That's a keyword there btw, he USED TO believe in this system, he was raised and brainwashed from childhood to believe the First Order were the good guys. But throughout the entire movie, we get exactly TWO SHOTS of any of that. The first one he's in full armour, so it's only through brute force bulk body language we understand what's going on. And the second when he pulls off his helmet, which is like 3 seconds. But immediately after that he's just fine with everything. Suddenly he's straight back into Moses mode (I haven't seen Attack The Block, just clips...so if it's not an exact comparison...get over it. You know I mean.) He's the sarcastic, up in your face homeboy. Which just doesn't work.

If you showed me Finn without any of the First Order backstory, I'd be totally fine with him, he's awesome and funny, and makes a really good banter partner for Poe. But in no way, in NO WAY, does anything about him say ex-soldier currently recovering from a complete and utter shift in his worldview.  Honestly this is the biggest problem of the movie for me. The Starkiller base is fine, it's a bit of retread, whatever it works for this movie, but how they treat Finn just completely undermines a part of the First Order. Finn is just your run of the mill soldier, do they all get off shift and turn into homeboy down the block who's just there cause ehh, whatever, better than sitting at home I guess? This military must be shit.

Anyways... moving on.

What didn't bug me AT ALL, were the callbacks. And I think I figured out why... If this movie were the first ever Star Wars thing made, completely 100% new, none of the callbacks would stand out. They're just part of the universe. Finn leans on a table and whoah this weird game board pops up with funny looking creatures on it and he stumbles for a second being awkward and charming. That's a cool weird bit of world building. Finn picks up a weird orb with bumps all over it, Huh that's a funny looking thing, chucks it aside. If you weren't looking for it, it would just be part of the world. Same for the gas masks, hey they're about to leak poisonous gas into the ship, here's some gas masks, we should use those. The movie never stops to go "Did ya get it? Did ya- did ya see what we did there?" It's just there and if you catch it, good on you super fan, we're moving on with the story.

All in all the movie definitely flowed a lot better the second time, it all just sorta seemed to work. So two thumbs way up tongue

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-29 08:21:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/star-wars-cast-luke-skywalker.jpg

Caption Competition...

"We will sell no wine before its time."

I know, another old people's reference, but with my avatar how could I not? [Edit:  Or how 'bout "Miss Tracy, prepare the standard 'rich and famous' contract for Rey and company."]

Last edited by sellew (2015-12-29 10:58:25)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@BDA, just a minor point--Phasma isn't actually dead yet, Kennedy has confirmed she'll appear in VIII. So hopefully she'll take a level in badass then.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

@BDA, just a minor point--Phasma isn't actually dead yet, Kennedy has confirmed she'll appear in VIII. So hopefully she'll take a level in badass then.

Which if true, sweet, I'll look forward to it. But according to every single bit of storytelling the movie was doing, Phasma was chucked into a trash compactor and is pretty assuredly dead. (Which dudes...I know she's a bit of a bitch...but gees that's harsh.)

"There a garbage chute around here?...trash compactor?"

"Yea there is. -smirk-"

Cut to something else. Come back, they're running around the facility without a care in the world.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-12-29 21:29:48)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Darth Praxus wrote:

Which if true, sweet, I'll look forward to it. But according to every single bit of storytelling the movie was doing, Phasma was chucked into a trash compactor and is pretty assuredly dead. (Which dudes...I know she's a bit of a bitch...but gees that's harsh.)

"There a garbage chute around here?...trash compactor?"

"Yea there is. -smirk-"

Executing point blank is not very befitting of our heroes, but somehow executing by trash compacter is. Have they got time to fuck around finding one and activating it, given the Rebel Base is minutes from destruction? In any case, she's dead anyway as the whole base blew up. It's like Ripley taking time out to flame the Queen's eggs when the reactor is about to go critical.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The trash compactor is the one thing we *know* will not kill whoever ends up inside of it. Just take that callback to a very logical extreme.

Also, if there's a caption contest for Luke, the Twitter account "Very Lonely Luke" has been playing it for a week straight. https://twitter.com/VeryLonelyLuke

That girl is staring at me

I'm still silent

I can't start talking now without it being awkward

I have to pretend I don't see her forever

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

D) Finn. God bless him man, but damn. His characterization just doesn't work. He's supposed to be a guy who was raised from childhood to be a soldier. That's LITERALLY the only thing he's known his entire life

My mom, of all people, made similar comments about Finn. She said we never really see Finn adjusting to life outside the Storm Trooper outfit. Not only does that make more sense, but had they mined that territory, it seems like there's ample opportunities for little jokes there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

The trash compactor is the one thing we *know* will not kill whoever ends up inside of it. Just take that callback to a very logical extreme.

They had R2 working his ass off to stop the compactor and even then were about 2.5 seconds away from being mush. Its not like imperial trash compactors are notiriously buggy or anything. That thing could and would have turned them all to paste without R2.

Unless we find out Phasma has her own personal snarky charming droid that follows her everywherw. If she went in there and they turned it on. Shes paste. (Note I would TOTALLY be down for cute and adorable phasma sidekick if she comes back)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

drewjmore wrote:

Dudes. I have seen it.

Ryan and Brandon share the screen again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29628015/20151217_220256.jpg

Sooooo, I'm wondering if they worked on lightsabers.......

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Also, if there's a caption contest for Luke, the Twitter account "Very Lonely Luke" has been playing it for a week straight. https://twitter.com/VeryLonelyLuke

That girl is staring at me

I'm still silent

I can't start talking now without it being awkward

I have to pretend I don't see her forever

I asked R2 to send me my kite surfer, not my light saber

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Boter wrote:

They had R2 working his ass off to stop the compactor and even then were about 2.5 seconds away from being mush. Its not like imperial trash compactors are notiriously buggy or anything. That thing could and would have turned them all to paste without R2.

Unless we find out Phasma has her own personal snarky charming droid that follows her everywherw. If she went in there and they turned it on. Shes paste. (Note I would TOTALLY be down for cute and adorable phasma sidekick if she comes back)

I just figure, "Hell, Rebels will get out of there anyway, might as well install a safety latch."

Just like how in 30 years we discovered that these were good ideas.

http://i.imgur.com/7rpNrQH.jpg

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

My main problem with phasma was that she personally enabled the destruction of the death star 3 along with the hopes and lives of the First Order because someone threatened to shoot her.
Completely undermined her and made her weak. She seemed like she should have been the sort of soldier who would be willing to die before caving in with no fuss. Badass female villain she is not.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phasma didn't bother me at all. I didn't pay much attention to the hype around characters and what not before seeing the movie, so I had no expectations for her.

She may as well have been "Idiot Stormtrooper #34"

Last edited by Sam F (2015-12-30 04:25:02)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

Phasma didn't bother me at all. I didn't pay much attention to the hype around characters and what not before seeing the movie, so I had no expectations for her.

She may as well have been "Idiot Stormtrooper #34"

Phasma should have been that stormtrooper that had that duel with Fin (using that weird rifle/sword hybrid weapon)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/jfZmr77.gif

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.giphy.com/3o8dpbsKDv9nc01pkc.gif

Phasma bothered me. She shouldn't have been so willing to save her own life and cave in to the rebels. I would have been satisfied with at least some sort of tustle or just anything other than that of the old timey response of - 'you'll never get away with this' type of junk, whilst shaking fist.

Last edited by Regan (2016-01-02 14:41:37)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

screwballscramble wrote:

Phasma bothered me. She shouldn't have been so willing to save her own life and cave in to the rebels. I would have been satisfied with at least some sort of tustle or just anything other than that of the old timey response of - 'you'll never get away with this' type of junk, whilst shaking fist.

And if you agree to lower the shields, you're only hastening your own demise anyway, so why would you comply? The logical thing to do would be to sound the alarm (pretend to lower the shields, but press the comms instead), or fight back and take as many with you, etc.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

She probably assumed that the resistance couldn't pull it off, lowering the shields saves her ass and lures them in to be slaughtered. Give them hope so they don't run.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or maybe it's just that loyalty is relative? When there's no risk to her, she's loyal. When there is... fuck it.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

And if she's more loyal to Snoke than the First Order (assuming that Snoke has multiple pieces in play, of which the First Order is one; or at least has more pieces than just Starkiller) and gets away.

Or she's loyal to Leia and is insanely deep undercover, so when the boys show up she's thinking to herself "Goddammit fuckers I was going there anyways. You better not mess this up for me."

#WildFanTheories #ThatWouldBeTotallyBadass

ZangrethorDigital.ca