Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (obligatory spoiler warning)

It's actually not even particularly reference heavy, mostly the references to the originals are just in terms of film-technique stuff. The use of under-cranking in action scenes, white flash frames on hits, a face-close-up flash-frame on car impact.

The story, world-building, and aesthetic are completely different from the originals, aside from tiny things like the use of telescopes and binoculars, and awesomely weird character names. I would say in many ways the originals feel like a dry-run for what he actually wanted to accomplish, and this is the realization of that vision. Aside from Road Warrior, I don't think the originals are particularly worth watching, except as a curiosity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Question: do I need to have seen Mad Max before seeing this one?

Nope, not necessary at all. The first few minutes of the film has all you need to know. Max is just a guy surviving in the post-apocalypse. Not much to him to be honest. The title "Mad" Max makes it sound like he has a rich character portrait, but it's really stripped down. The flavor in most Mad Max movies come from the supplemental characters in whatever story they are covering in that film. As in this one.

It's completely self-contained, just sit back and enjoy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A sequel that is completely self-contained?

How refreshing.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

A sequel that is completely self-contained?

How refreshing.

If you're like me and don't want to watch any trailers, just listen to the soundtrack on a decent pair of headphones.
This type of heart-pounding pace is allowed to exist in long stretches of the film. It's one of the most intense films I've ever seen in the cinema or in general. It makes any of the Fast and Furious films look like a 5 year old knocking toy cars together, and that's coming from someone who has a lot of respect for the 5th one and the amazing vault chase sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWOSciGbF4

Last edited by TechNoir (2015-06-05 18:25:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Seeing it for the second time today, I can only confirm that there's no point in going to see this movie in a theater if said theater has a shitty sound system. This time around - unlike the first time I saw it - the volume was good, and it changed my experience entirely. The sheer intensity of the bigger action parts of this film had me filled with adrenaline, almost breathless. I couldn't believe it. Walking out, I only wanted to get back in for a third viewing.

Fuck, this movie is amazing. Having spent the last week digesting breakdowns and talks about the VFX, I find the work done on it absolutely insane. It's seamless, the kind of VFX I love. I'm so happy they went with such colorful aesethics (which wasn't the case in the first place; early promo pictures show a more traditional gritty post-apocalyptic style). The night sequence is stunning, and is somewhat impressive when you know it was shot in overexposed day-for-night.

To anyone who still hasn't seen it, because they don't trust action movies, because they don't know the first thing about Mad Max, because waiting for the bluray seems good enough; trust me, it's not. See it in a theater, with full volume. It completely stands alone, everything you need to know is explained through world-building or just a tiny bit of smart exposition. And it's knowledge you specifically need for this story, because frankly, Fury Road doesn't care about the other movies, it does its own thing.

And it's nothing like the Avengers or some other random action flick. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's redefining the genre or anything like that, it's probably too early to tell and I don't want to be over-enthusiastic about it. But damn, that's one hell of a ride, and far from being empty of character development.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Well. That was fun.

Finally saw it today  smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Finally managed to see this, my cousin and brother in law being the only others in the theater. Very fun. The most interesting aspect was HOW they showed the madness. Quite nice, with no details needed or given. Only the ghost girl calling him "Daddy" (iirc) seemed wrong. Was his kid that old in the first one? I can retcon it to being a girl who adopted him at some point, but that line wasn't needed.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Max had a son, not a daughter. Are you sure the girl was calling him Daddy?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fairly sure. Chronology and continuity isn't something they've been overly concerned with in this series.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm pretty sure it's just something we're supposed to take as read that it's someone he failed to save and it's haunted him ever since. 

I assumed it was a callback to the first movies since I've never seen em, but if it's not in those then I guess it's something that happened off screen. It never bothered me.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-06-23 23:31:28)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The original Max trilogy is a self-contained story with a beginning middle and end.  Fury Road's not a sequel, it's a reboot that uses some of the same elements, like the tanker chase from Max 2 and the extreme post-apocalypse world-building of Max 3.     Fury Road starts right about where Max 2/Road Warrior did, but then just goes off in an entirely new direction.

There are a lot of little references to the originals - certain costumes, the music box, etc, but there's no need to figure out how Fury Road fits into the original timeline, because it doesn't.

Sam F wrote:

Max had a son, not a daughter. Are you sure the girl was calling him Daddy?

Of course I'm not sure. I've only seen it once  smile

I do agree there's intensionally no continuity, and they're treating Max the same way you'd do a new Tarzan or Sherlock Holmes story. It's just been awhile since I've seen the original, and was wondering. Again, that just being a random girl from his past who thought of him as a father fits, assuming I heard the line right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

There are a lot of little references to the originals - certain costumes, the music box, etc, but there's no need to figure out how Fury Road fits into the original timeline, because it doesn't.

Went back and watched Mad Max 2 and then watched Fury Road again and saw the music box!  What I liked was that it was such a quick kind of offhand shot and didn't draw attention to itself with big neon lights that said "HEY FANS THIS IS A REFERENCE ISN'T THIS COOL!"

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Naturally, because if it was pointed out nerds would have said "But Max both found then gave away the music box in that film! How could it be here?!?"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

"But Max both found then gave away the music box in that film! How could it be here?!?"

Apparently the prevailing theory is that Tom Hardy is playing the kid from the second one...

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

FWIW, Junkie XL will be doing a panel at comic con on Film Score, along with like 10 other composers.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watched this film last week with a couple of ADD teenagers (I'm a mentor through my church).

They loved it, and not just the action. They really enjoyed the character stuff and the world-building.

Such a good movie.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like all the Oscar love this movie is getting but scratching my head at the snub of Charlize Theron's Imperator Furiosa!?

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down