Topic: Fun question for serial DIF-listeners

So I'm on my second straight listen-through of the FIYH archive (I listen to one a day at work to help with boredom), and I see that ONE COMMENTARY coming up. The one I can't listen to. Because it pisses me off.

So my question for every regular listener is this: what is that ONE COMMENTARY for you? Or two, or however many. Which ones do you avoid and why?

For me, that one commentary is Brave. While I agree with the general premise that Brave is a bit muddled and not one of Pixar's best, the commentarians keep saying that the theme makes no sense, and the whole turning-into-a-bear thing doesn't fit anywhere. The theme seems so obvious to me and the connection is so clear that it's frustrating to hear them talk about it.

I mean, I disagree here and there with a lot of what they say on FIYH, but only Brave bugs me, mainly because it feels like they are being willfully ignorant. Like they dance around the actual theme so much in their conversation and then come to a bizarre conclusion about what the theme is supposed to be. And then say it's ridiculous.

No hard feelings, of course smile I'm just curious to hear everyone's answer.

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-02-02 15:01:26)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Fun question for serial DIF-listeners

Spiderman 2

(and maybe World War Z, to a much lesser extent)

EDIT:
oh and the reasons for Spidey are kinda obvious but WWZ just bored me. Movie couldnt hold my interest at all :/

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2016-02-02 17:44:55)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Trek 09.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scott Pilgrim. They spend most of the commentary talking about the movie in the context of the comics, but none of them had read the comics. As a result, if you have read the comics, it's super frustrating to listen to as they keep making (incorrect) assumptions about the comics to keep the discussion going.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow. That would be frustrating.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dark City - The guys quibble with each other a fair bit.

As for non-DIF commentaries:
THX138 - It's to boring to get through (thanks George).

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tend to avoid Trek 09--it's one of the few movies I can successfully turn my brain off to enjoy, and Brian's incessant nitpicking and shitting on things that don't deserve to be shit on get frustrating.

Also, I tend to fast forward the color grading debate in the Malariathon. Sleep was little and tensions were high, I get that, but the lack of sentence-finishing and one side's talking past the other just get intensely irritating.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-02-03 01:40:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Fifth Element episode feels somewhat empty and superficial. The guys simply don't have enough knowledge of the French comic book and sci-fi scene to make the commentary really interesting.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just so any of the Makers who might read this thread know: this isn't a "you suck" subject smile
This is a "which two hours out of hundreds of excellent content do you find not great" subject.

Don't feel bad

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I ain't even mad. I have more than a few that-one commentaries myself.  big_smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

*coughs* Phantom menace *coughs*I mean, Hi Teague smile

There are very few that I avoid for reasons other than I'm not familiar with the film. If I had more time, there are several films I would watch, then immediately rewatch with the commentary.

That said, here's a quick, off the top, list:

-Chronicles of Riddick-this is a guilty pleasure movie, and one that I start arguing as they are talking. So, that distracts from any insight.

-Fifth Element-I have to echo what someone else said that this one really didn't feel as deep as it could have been.

That's the two off the top. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to redownload a bunch of episodes to reacquaint myself.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll echo Fireproof and say there are actually quite a few I haven't listened to simply because I haven't seen the films. Which is fun, it means even though the show's over I still have lots of new DiF to listen to as I watch new films. big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The one entitled Goodnight, Goodnight was that one for me

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

The one entitled Goodnight, Goodnight was that one for me

...the ones they never made sad

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The drunk ones were generally my least favorite. So I guess the ones for the prequels can be kinda annoying. I also just want to make counter arguments all the time when I listen to those.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Me too, me too, and me too.

It's you and me, Hansen.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen wrote:

The drunk ones were generally my least favorite. So I guess the ones for the prequels can be kinda annoying. I also just want to make counter arguments all the time when I listen to those.

The drunk ones kind of depended on the film for me. The prequels definitely had some moments of counterargumenet, but that happens on many of the films (I can think of Chronicles of Riddick as a quick example) which, of course, led to great discussion on this forum.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down