Topic: Life Changes

Few have probably noticed a lack of posts from me. I was never too active. Still, I have been silent, and figured an update was in order.

I'm sick.

The attack at the start of December was caused by some sort of coating on my brain, particularly the stem. The world spun, vision went double. I literally had to crawl across my bed to reach the phone. Two weeks in the emergency room, followed by four weeks of in-hospital rehab, sent me home unable to work or drive. I've downsized my life, tossing most of what I owned to fit into a one bedroom apartment. I'm just starting to get financial aid, but will still be a drain on my sister for awhile. My eyes have a hard time reading text, so needless to say writing is a chore. I'm not a happy camper.

Still, I'm alive. Whee.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Re: Life Changes

That sucks, man. If there's anything you have a hankering for (movies, candy, cards), feel free to message your address. I know you're not sharing for charity or sympathy, but I've also had to rely on family for emergency support (it really sucks). I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them for something unnecessary on top of that, no matter how much I needed a pick-me-up.

But if a flick and popcorn or a bag of skittles would make a hard week a little better, let me know.

Meanwhile, soldier on, Invid.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great idea, Writhyn — Invid, if you're down for care packages of stupid internet bullshit, I'm sure there's a few of us who'd be happy to send you dead cats and stuff.

Also, holy shit. What... happened? Does the thing that happened to you have a name?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

See? That's why Teague's here. I never would've thought of dead cats!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aww, man... Hang in there, our thoughts are with you. Let's hope for the best.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jesus, so sorry to hear about this. As everyone else has said thus far, thoughts are with you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks.

I'm too lazy to look for something that lists the exact condition I have, but Neurosarcoidosis seems to sound close enough. They biopsies two blobs in my chest to confirm the diagnosis ("It's minor. We're going to collapse your lung..."). Treatment was mostly massive steroids, which I'm off of. I suspect I'll be going back on, as I'm relapsing.I'm seeing the neurologist Friday for the scheduled followup.

As for dead cats, if you send some good recipes, I'd be down for that. I have a patreon account if anyone want to throw money at it. Two chapters of my new book a month pays for my internet, which let me tell you is a godsend (no idea which god). Change tossed into an iTunes or Rifftrax gift card would also be appreciated. If you live near good hobby stores, I would love models to waste my time with. Fighter planes, and anime models based on original Macross and Gundam. I can't see well, so easy ones smile

What I want most I'm not even thinking of asking for. I've only seen the new Star Wars once, and Deadpool not at all. The whole not driving thing. I can wait.

Actually... I know what I need. Before this hit, I was going to set up a print version of one of my books to send to printtopress.com. I dread playing with that now. The cover was painted my my niece, and I owe her a copy. Anyone want to help?

Chris Mack
21 Sunnyside St. Lower Apartment
Lockport, NY 14094

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is anyone closer to Lockport, NY than I am (Trumbull, CT)? Or anyone close to me feel like taking a weekend trip smile?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also I'm perfectly happy to help with printtopress, but what would that entail? Just filling out forms and stuff? Proof-copying? Or is it more just a cost thing?

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-03-07 13:58:35)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really sorry to hear about what you've been going through Invid.

Have you looked into any Text to speech apps that might help with browsing the web at all?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Sorry to hear about your condition, man. Sounds like a real cunt of a thing to have too. I wish there was something we could do. I hope the doctors can make you better.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Also I'm perfectly happy to help with printtopress, but what would that entail? Just filling out forms and stuff? Proof-copying? Or is it more just a cost thing?

It's an editing thing.

I currently have the sixty thousand word story "The Spirit of Poland" as a Pages file. It is an unformatted document, apart from chapters and paragraphs. I need it to come out the other side of this as a print ready PDF, with title page, page numbers, etc. Up on Dropbox I've put the final version of A Leader Born in PDF, the .odt version I made the pdf version from, and my first attempt at a cover. It looks like I'm going to have to get a fresh copy of the scan, without the text.

Anyways, Spirit has to fit the formatting of the first book, have page breaks put in between chapters, an intro inserted (and written), and other minor stuff. I think it takes me an hour to bumble through it. It's my sister's birthday the 19th, and it would be fun to hand this to her and my niece them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n6msujdvbvh1 … u0P2a?dl=0

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First of all, how does his OP not warrant one like? He's still alive-we should "like" that tongue

Also, that sounds really crazy. Glad to hear you're doing ok, and that you are still kicking.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

First of all, how does his OP not warrant one like? He's still alive-we should "like" that tongue

Also, that sounds really crazy. Glad to hear you're doing ok, and that you are still kicking.

I guess the term 'like' is not synonymous with sympathy. it feels wrong to 'like' it when someone tells you bad news.
Although a thumbs-down symbol is not the right response either. A 'hang in there' or 'sympathy' or 'take as many with you as you can' button would be better.

On the Facebook page when Dorkman's family posted news of a setback in recovery, it seemed weird (to me anyway) that the (what sounded like) bad news generates dozens of 'likes'. But I know that they all mean well, it's just a weird way (to us oldies not used to this fandangled interweb thing the younglings are on) of expressing it.  hmm

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@Invid
Looks like you put that together with a Mac, cause I'm getting a pages file that I can't do much with. If you can convert and send me a .doc file I can help, otherwise does someone else have an Apple computer who can help him?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I guess the term 'like' is not synonymous with sympathy. it feels wrong to 'like' it when someone tells you bad news.
Although a thumbs-down symbol is not the right response either. A 'hang in there' or 'sympathy' or 'take as many with you as you can' button would be better.

On the Facebook page when Dorkman's family posted news of a setback in recovery, it seemed weird (to me anyway) that the (what sounded like) bad news generates dozens of 'likes'. But I know that they all mean well, it's just a weird way (to us oldies not used to this fandangled interweb thing the younglings are on) of expressing it.  hmm

Oh, I find it weird too. But, it seems socially appropriate now to do so, at least to me. I guess it's just a means of showing support, even if the terminology doesn't quite fit.

In such spirit of support, I present a Get Well Soon picture that we all can appreciate:

https://i.paigeeworld.com/user-media/1444435200000/510d4511cbbdcfcb3b002c25_561979cab1bb59e192c762ec_320.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

@Invid
Looks like you put that together with a Mac, cause I'm getting a pages file that I can't do much with. If you can convert and send me a .doc file I can help, otherwise does someone else have an Apple computer who can help him?

Oh, in my fog I forgot about this. Apple imports and exports to most formats, but does MS do the same? Nope. Anyway, There's now a Word version there, along with the original cover. It's free for anyone to read. I like it smile

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n6msujdvbvh1 … u0P2a?dl=0

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

An update.

The last couple weeks have been bad, my condition regressing. The physical therapist would show up and say, "No, you're in no shape to do actual work". Saw the neurologist for the first time since the hospital, and immediately put me on 80 mg of steroids a day for two weeks, which will then taper down. I suspect I'll be on them for life. I'm also now on optional insulin.

On the good side, after three days of steroids, I was actually able to write 600 words or so. Science!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whoo boy. Hang in there!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good lord. Shit is too scary.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Damn, Invid. I'm so sorry. Hang in there.

We're just a bunch of strangers on the Internet, but I'll be damned if we won't help you in any way we can. Just let us know.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My niece goes outside to check the mail today, and what does she find? An unexpected package of goodies. Thanks, Writhyn. Between this and finally getting to see Deadpool (at an AMC with reclining comfy chairs and everything), my day was complete smile

As for other stuff, the drugs are helping. I can write a bit, and while I tire easily I can move more. I also don't have to watch my carbs as much, although I do watch them. I'm ripping movies to turn one hard drive into a movie server for my AppleTV.

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

pimp

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid, how are you doing lately?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So so. On the good side, I finally have both foodstamps (called SNAP) and a monthly grant from the state/county  that is less than my rent so all goes directly to my landlord. This is a big help, so my sister only has to chip in a few hundred a month to help with other bills and expenses.

On the health side, things are mixed. I'm with a new neurologist (the first is more stroke focused), and we're trying to get my steroids down. The first two attempts left me worse than when I came out of the hospital, but the high dosage side effects are kicking in. I'm at 45mg a day, and a good "maintenance" dose is 2 mg every other day. This is going to be fun. I see the doc again on the 16th. All therapy has ended, after 40 Physical Therapy visits. I'm waiting to get on extended home care, which may provide some (I do get free transport to the Doctor)

I'm keeping busy. I'm ripping my DVDs still, have games I haven't played yet. I can write, so with the view zoomed in I'm doing a long serial ('Have Cane, Will Travel') and trying to revise another story. Still no glue for the models, but that will come. Went to Thursday's Rifftrax, and my sister is providing transport for us and my niece to go to the Buffalo Bandits playoff game in a couple weeks. There's also a trip up to Toronto in July.

I use a walker to walk. The weather is nice now, so going out alone is an option. =

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down