Re: The Star Wars 7 Thread (SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY. ALL THE SPOILERS.)

I parsed my opinion after the initial discussion. A movie with a tremendously high amount of plot contrivance, a third act with no tension,  a major character death inadequately leveraged, a villain plot so incompetent as to be comical, and a piss-poor  final sequence straight out of the edit room garbage can...makes a bad movie. It LOOKS great, and the new characters were mostly ok, but as a whole, the movie was bad.

And yes, it is that much worse because it could have been great. We know what the writers and filmmakers are capable of. I hope it was studio meddling that savaged this film.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, I think you're exaggerating. The forest duel was tense as all hell, plot contrivance has *always* been a part of Star Wars, the final sequence may go on a bit long for some people's taste but it's not completely absurd.

I'm not gonna deny there weren't problems, but there isn't a single perfect Star Wars movie. The original is plagued by a horrible script, Empire has a huge character problem for Leia, Jedi is just straight up bad at a lot of parts. But ultimately the characters and the world redeem those movies' flaws, just like IMO they do here. I'm not saying you don't have valid criticisms of the movie, but to act as if they somehow cripple it is to do it an immense disservice. TFA was a whole lot of fun, and introduced amazing new characters we cared about, which is more than any of the prequels or indeed most action movies these days can say. Was it the best film of the year? No, but realistically was it ever going to be?

I think people, myself included, like to venerate the OT as a perfect shiny thing that can never be touched, but it's not the Holy Grail of film. I think that it's a tremendous achievement that introduced a world that I love and characters who are like family to me while hugely advancing filmmaking craft and working its way into pop culture. It's not this perfect untouchable thing, though, and if anything I think TFA is *less* flawed than ROTJ. For me personally, letting go of this need for everything about my Star Wars to be perfect has made me a far happier person. I still dislike the prequels because they're almost nothing *but* flaws and commit the crime of not being engaging, but I don't feel a need for the OT or the new movies to be perfect works of art anymore. Just to be fun, and feature people I care about, and not be abominably, condescendingly stupid. Just to be really solid, really beautiful popcorn flicks with hints of greater things scattered throughout, which is all the OT really is. And I say all that without my love for those films diminishing one iota.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-03-14 16:47:26)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

is that much worse because it could have been great. We know what the writers and filmmakers are capable of. I hope it was studio meddling that savaged this film.

JJ's oeuvre is lukewarm. His last project, STID was below par. None of his movies have been stand-out classics. He's no game-changer. I don't know how he developed his ''wunderkind'' reputation. Good PR I suppose, but it's not backed up by his CV.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Okay, I think you're exaggerating. The forest duel was tense as all hell, plot contrivance has *always* been a part of Star Wars, the final sequence may go on a bit long for some people's taste but it's not completely absurd.

I think people, myself included, like to venerate the OT as a perfect shiny thing that can never be touched, but it's not the Holy Grail of film.

I disagree about the forest scene, but that's probably just taste. Plot contrivance has been a part of Star Wars, but TFA's contrivance was prequel level (like c3po being built by anakin) stuff. But granted, I am exaggerating the badness of the final sequence.

Most important, I said tfa was very star warsy, but a bad movie. The originals were good movies with issues, the prequels were not star warsy AND bad movies. Ultimately, it's not an objective statement.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Everything Darth Praxus said. You, sir, warm my heart.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:
Darth Praxus wrote:

I think people, myself included, like to venerate the OT as a perfect shiny thing that can never be touched, but it's not the Holy Grail of film.

I disagree about the forest scene, but that's probably just taste. Plot contrivance has been a part of Star Wars, but TFA's contrivance was prequel level (like c3po being built by anakin) stuff. But granted, I am exaggerating the badness of the final sequence.

Most important, I said tfa was very star warsy, but a bad movie. The originals were good movies with issues, the prequels were not star warsy AND bad movies. Ultimately, it's not an objective statement.

See, I don't see the contrivance as bad as PT level. I agree with Darth Praxus in that contrivance has always been a part of Star Wars, and TFA borrowed heavily from the plot points of the original.

I'm curious to here what contrivances you see as being PT level bad. I don't necessarily think TFA is the best ever, but it was incredibly entertaining and I love characters. Also, the forest fight was very tense, and one of my favorite sequences.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

1) Despite Dameron being a high-value prisoner, after being shot down, nobody checks to make sure they're dead. Literally nothing was stopping a pilot from flying over and checking the wreckage.

2) While I DO buy the Force granting a certain level of reflexive ability in piloting ships, I do not buy that having the force allows Rey to fly a ship when she has no idea what any of the buttons actually do. I don't care if she played in broken ships all her life. Luke and Anakin had some experience with flying SOMETHING. The force simply granted them better reflexes.

3) The first thing they run into after leaving the planet's atmosphere is Han and Chewie's barge (that DOES make sense, since the Falcon's beacon let him know it was flying again). Soooo....where is the First Order? They just lost fighters to the Falcon. They knew the droid was on the ship that just took off from Jakku, but instead of the Order meeting them with their whacking giant ships, it's Han and Chewie who find them. Then gangsters. The first order conveniently fade from the story.

4) The lightsaber is on the same planet that Han goes to for information. Which allows Rey to find it. Please. MAYBE Luke foresaw that Rey would find it because Force, but that's iffy.

5) The bad guys make the same damn mistake the empire made before. I've said this before, it makes for IDIOTIC, WEAK, LAME villains who build a bigger death star with a nearly identical weakness. Convenient. This, ultimately, is what broke the movie for me. I was willing to shut my brain off for the other conveniences, but this was too much. It's why the 3rd act is weak, because we've seen all this, but more importantly, because the villains are no longer a threat. It's even the perfect setup for a "gotcha" false-resolution, but nope.

6) Phasma could have single-handedly prevented the entire mission from succeeding by pressing an alarm while she was in the computer. But she was afraid to die, I guess? Despite the years of conditioning (which failed on Finn, I know, but there was absolutely NOTHING to foreshadow Phasma being a pushover). Her complacency is a glaringly bad Deus ex Machina that allows the good guys to win.

7) The section of the map that bb-8 has is relatively a GIGANTIC CHUNK of the galaxy. There's no way the resistance couldn't have pinpointed exactly where luke was based solely on that section alone. That's like if the only info I had to find someone was an address on a map of New York state, but I couldn't find it because the rest of the USA wasn't on the map. Oh, and I can't use another map of the States because reasons.

Those are the main contrivances I saw. I know there are deleted scenes and a novelization that explains some of the stuff, but screw that. A good movie is responsible for being coherent on its own. Supplemental material can enrich the experience, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe you don't think these are bad, but, in my opinion, they make for a bad movie.

Pure subjectivity.

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-03-15 19:50:36)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

1) Despite Dameron being a high-value prisoner, after being shot down, nobody checks to make sure they're dead. Literally nothing was stopping a pilot from flying over and checking the wreckage.

Who says they didn't? Neither of them ended up anywhere near the crash, so there would be no life signs if they did. And troopers seem to be looking for them along side the droid.

Writhyn wrote:

2) While I DO buy the Force granting a certain level of reflexive ability in piloting ships, I do not buy that having the force allows Rey to fly a ship when she has no idea what any of the buttons actually do. I don't care if she played in broken ships all her life. Luke and Anakin had some experience with flying SOMETHING. The force simply granted them better reflexes.

Rey repeatedly mentions she's a pilot. She knows how to fly and has flown before. She's also very intimate with the inner workings of the Falcon and it's modifications. She's at the very least worked on it if not flown it before.

Writhyn wrote:

3) The first thing they run into after leaving the planet's atmosphere is Han and Chewie's barge (that DOES make sense, since the Falcon's beacon let him know it was flying again). Soooo....where is the First Order? They just lost fighters to the Falcon. They knew the droid was on the ship that just took off from Jakku, but instead of the Order meeting them with their whacking giant ships, it's Han and Chewie who find them. Then gangsters. The first order conveniently fade from the story.

It's hard to track people through hyperspace. Han and Chewie know the Falcon and how to find it and are actively looking, so they find them first. The gangsters are looking for Han and have been tracking him. Seems plausible.

Writhyn wrote:

4) The lightsaber is on the same planet that Han goes to for information. Which allows Rey to find it. Please. MAYBE Luke foresaw that Rey would find it because Force, but that's iffy.

This kinda shit is a staple of Star Wars, the Force manipulates fate.

Writhyn wrote:

5) The bad guys make the same damn mistake the empire made before. I've said this before, it makes for IDIOTIC, WEAK, LAME villains who build a bigger death star with a nearly identical weakness. Convenient. This, ultimately, is what broke the movie for me. I was willing to shut my brain off for the other conveniences, but this was too much. It's why the 3rd act is weak, because we've seen all this, but more importantly, because the villains are no longer a threat. It's even the perfect setup for a "gotcha" false-resolution, but nope.

6) Phasma could have single-handedly prevented the entire mission from succeeding by pressing an alarm while she was in the computer. But she was afraid to die, I guess? Despite the years of conditioning (which failed on Finn, I know, but there was absolutely NOTHING to foreshadow Phasma being a pushover). Her complacency is a glaringly bad Deus ex Machina that allows the good guys to win.

7) The section of the map that bb-8 has is relatively a GIGANTIC CHUNK of the galaxy. There's no way the resistance couldn't have pinpointed exactly where luke was based solely on that section alone. That's like if the only info I had to find someone was an address on a map of New York state, but I couldn't find it because the rest of the USA wasn't on the map. Oh, and I can't use another map of the States because reasons.

This stuff bothered me too, but y'all already know I don't like the 3rd act. It's about on par with RotJ though. And while I understand the holo-maps basically shorthand to help the audience understand that we only have a piece of it and need the rest, I felt it could have been done much better.

Writhyn wrote:

Those are the main contrivances I saw. I know there are deleted scenes and a novelization that explains some of the stuff, but screw that. A good movie is responsible for being coherent on its own. Supplemental material can enrich the experience, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe you don't think these are bad, but, in my opinion, they make for a bad movie.

Pure subjectivity.

If this is a bad movie, then so it RotJ. They basically have the same problems. Sure, this could have been better, even a lot better; But I don't think it's bad either. It's a perfectly serviceable Star Wars movie, and it's ok to not have a polarized option on it.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't remember her mentioning being a pilot. I eat my words.

As for ROTJ........................yeah it's not great for several reasons, but for me the emotional resonance in the Emperor's Throne Room scenes carries the entire damn film. If that part of the 3rd act had sucked, yeah I'd have the same problem with it as I have with TFA for the same reason.
If the end battle hadn't been a copy or had been subverted in some way, I would happily overlook all its flaws.

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-03-16 00:22:14)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An evening with Hamill... he's quite a nice guy

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

As for ROTJ........................yeah it's not great for several reasons, but for me the emotional resonance in the Emperor's Throne Room scenes carries the entire damn film. If that part of the 3rd act had sucked, yeah I'd have the same problem with it as I have with TFA for the same reason.
If the end battle hadn't been a copy or had been subverted in some way, I would happily overlook all its flaws.

I suppose it just comes down to one's reaction to the forest duel, then. For whatever reason it didn't work for you, for a lot of us it worked like gangbusters in the same way that the Throne Room does. I am curious though, what about that portion of the climax isn't satisfying for you?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:
Writhyn wrote:

I suppose it just comes down to one's reaction to the forest duel, then. For whatever reason it didn't work for you, for a lot of us it worked like gangbusters in the same way that the Throne Room does. I am curious though, what about that portion of the climax isn't satisfying for you?

Seconded. Most of the contrivances listed either didn't bother me (head canon filling in the gaps. Haven't read the novels-yet) or are on par with anything else in the OT.

The forest duel, that part is kind of sticking out to me. I personally enjoyed it very much and it had a very raw energy to it that I would expect from amateur fighters. The Starkiller base fight was, well, derivative, but entertaining enough.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Wars has always been allegorical to me, and they're characters movies, especially The Force Awakens. The story lived by the characters and what it's telling me is more important than the script itself, which is why even if I should be bothered by some of the points Writhyn described... I'm not.

Yes, Starkiller is Death Star 3.0, and yes, the First Order is probably dumb as hell to make the same mistake all over again. But come on, this is a Star Wars movie. It's been 40 years, we all know the baddies won't win. Never at any point in the film did I really care about the Resistance/First Order fight. It makes for cool action scenes, but my focus is on Rey and Kylo Ren.

Now the movie would certainly have benefited from better thought-out details, but my experience of the movie is still very good. It might sound apologetic, but in the end I don't care about such details - and I might have, for other kinds of movies, but this is Star Wars. It's the same thing as RotJ, really. I have never really thought about the weaknesses in the script - the Throne Room sequence is such a powerful climax to Luke's journey than it shuts down any other problem. It carries the film, and allows the parallel scenes to become breathers for that sequence.

As Writhyn said... pure subjectivity. But SW is one of these few instances where I deliberately choose not to care. It might all be a cash grab, these new episodes... but they have the cleverness to include fully fleshed-out characters so far (which might slightly be less the case for Finn, who's my least liked new character).

Last edited by Saniss (2016-03-16 09:42:53)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some of these are unbelievably nitpicky. No movie can stand up to this kind of scrutiny.

Writhyn wrote:

The same wreckage that was swallowed up in the sand? And what about the stormtroopers they see at the settlement who immediately start chasing Finn? Why do you think they were there?

Writhyn wrote:

That's like complaining that the Empire doesn't track Luke to Dagobah. How could they have followed from Jakku precisely? What's more, at the very next place they land, the First Order finds them (using their spies), so the complaint that they fade from the story isn't even true.

Writhyn wrote:

This assumes that the lightsabre was always meant to be in Rey's hands, and I'm not sure why you would think that. Maz tries to give it to Rey because she senses the force in her. Perhaps she also senses that Rey could bring Luke back and so having his weapon might help. Why would Luke have to foresee anything? He has nothing to do with where his lightsabre is.

Writhyn wrote:

Starkiller annhilated 6 planets with a single shot and ended the Republic. It worked. The First Order won. Why are they stupid for building it? You can't use the 'good guys win through pluckiness and outrageous luck' fairytale story that this is supposed to be as hindsight in why the bad guys should develop a more foolproof evil plan.

Writhyn wrote:

Yeah, going to give this one to you. It's pretty lame. Mostly because Phasma looks so cool. But if she were Admiral Piett (or that panicked officer that flees during the destruction of the base) and we could see her face (and acting), this would actually work fine. But because her emotions are hidden, we can't see or empathise with the motivations of the character. As you say, is she afraid to die? We don't know. That's why it doesn't work.

Writhyn wrote:

I don't think your allegory quite fits though. If you didn't know that the address was in New York state, then how would you know where to start looking? How would you know that it's even in the US? That's the problem they have in the movie, as Han says they can't identify where it is. The map that R2 has allows them to figure out where the local map fits in to their overall picture of the galaxy. Unfortunately, they do that by showing the local map as a hole... and I think the confusion with the maps comes down to this simplified visual the movie adds in (which I bet was added late). Now, why no-one in the resistance or the Falcon's computer hasn't got this galaxy map anyway (and why R2 is needed) is the thing that doesn't make much sense.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Redxavier:

To your first point: Granted.

Overall, most of the world disagrees with my opinion of SW7. I think it overuses convenience to help the good guys. And it overuses the same plot (note: the same THEME does not bother me) from prior movies.

It's broken for me. I wish it wasn't, but there you have it.

Edit: BTW I don't think I'm being TOO scrutinous (?). These things bothered me WHILE I was watching the movie. I didn't even GET to the "fridge".

Edit: SW7 could be compared to Abrams' Star Trek films in my feelings.

Star Trek was fun. It also had a lot of Fridge Logic. Lots of "what?" moments. BUT, I enjoyed it so much because the 3rd act was tight.

Into Darkness, for ME, is very much like Force Awakens. Lots of "what?" moments, and the 3rd act is hyper-convenient, pulls its punches, and doesn't really work. Into Darkness fizzles, whereas I don't think Star Trek did. The Force Awakens is more Darkness than Trek.

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-03-16 13:49:01)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Redxavier:

To your first point: Granted.

Overall, most of the world disagrees with my opinion of SW7. I think it overuses convenience to help the good guys. And it overuses the same plot (note: the same THEME does not bother me) from prior movies.

Edit: SW7 could be compared to Abrams' Star Trek films in my feelings.

Star Trek was fun. It also had a lot of Fridge Logic. Lots of "what?" moments. BUT, I enjoyed it so much because the 3rd act was tight.

Into Darkness, for ME, is very much like Force Awakens. Lots of "what?" moments, and the 3rd act is hyper-convenient, pulls its punches, and doesn't really work. Into Darkness fizzles, whereas I don't think Star Trek did. The Force Awakens is more Darkness than Trek.

I don't think it's the same plot at all though. There are the trappings of a droid and a battle station, but as has been brought up in here before, where was the escaped soldier turned good in the original film? How is Kylo ultimately at all similar to ANH Vader in terms of character? And in TFA the rescue mission is a.) intentional and part of the third act rather than the second, b.) doesn't happen in nearly the same way besides a mentor figure dying, which needed to happen anyway. And the droid isn't carrying plans for the battle station, but to find Luke (and where in the original was finding the old Jedi the ultimate MacGuffin?).

There are similar broad strokes, but to call it a remake  or say it's overly dependent on prior plot points is to say that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is just a remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As for the Into Darkness thing, that just seems like a cheap shot. Nowhere in TFA did we suffer the indignity of watching a scene from a previous movie repeated line for line, shot for shot, because the writers couldn't be bothered. Nowhere in TFA did we experience anything near as "pants-on-head-retarded", to quote Trey, as the heroes accidentally discovering magic blood to rescue the protagonist from radiation poisoning. And unlike Into Darkness, the third act actually had consequences--Finn is alive but we don't know what shape he'll be in, Kylo has just been sealed to the dark side, and Han Solo, most people's favorite character from the films, is firmly dead.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-03-16 15:53:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I get ya Writhyn, I have the same problem with The Dark Knight. For most people Heath Ledger's Joker carries the movie for them, but I just can't get past how little sense that movie makes. I just can't suspend my disbelief enough. TFA still works for me, but after Han's death I kinda just sit back and wait for the movie to end.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

See, for me, I loved the opening part, and right up until Han shows up, then it is hit and miss. Maz's palace was pretty cool, and I liked Maz a lot, but Han's subplot that gets them there doesn't totally work for me. Han's death is tragic, but then I really get carried in to the struggle between Rey, Finn and Kylo, as well as the dog fight. The dog fight is more a matter of an action piece that kind of sucks me in, but the duel just keeps drawing me back.

The ending certainly is frustrating for me, possibly because it means I have to wait to find out the answers to the questions.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Trek is shock full of contrivances which are far more egregious than anything in TFA. Though it's ironic that one of my least favourite things in TFA is mirrored in Star Trek (characters seeing planets light years away getting blown up with the naked eye).

The scrutiny is a thing that only ever comes out when one dislikes a movie. None of the issues you mentioned are actually bad. You choose to highlight these trivial aspects to retrospectively justify why you didn't like the movie. That's fine to do. But they don't make TFA a really bad or broken movie. None of these are near the level of a villain whose motivations make no fucking sense (looking at you Nero).

... wait, how does TFA pull its punches in the third act? I don't think that means what you think it means  wink

Last edited by redxavier (2016-03-16 20:43:50)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What about Nero? One of my favorite Trek villains. Joking, I know the issues with him, but as is Red's point, I don't mind it because I like the movie and am invested in the characters.

And that brings one up one of my biggest issues with TFA is the fact that the Republic capital gets destroyed with little comment, save for from Finn. It's Alderaan all over again, except multiple worlds this time. Why destroy the Republic at all if it's going to be a nonissue.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

What about Nero? One of my favorite Trek villains. Joking, I know the issues with him, but as is Red's point, I don't mind it because I like the movie and am invested in the characters.

And that brings one up one of my biggest issues with TFA is the fact that the Republic capital gets destroyed with little comment, save for from Finn. It's Alderaan all over again, except multiple worlds this time. Why destroy the Republic at all if it's going to be a nonissue.

This is where an Attack of the Clones-length film would actually have been warranted. TFA is paced quickly enough that an additional five or ten minutes wouldn't hurt it much if at all, and the confirmed deleted scenes which feature Leia and her aide talking in detail about the political situation between the Republic and the Resistance (the aide was going to the capital in order to request aid against the First Order) would've gone a long way toward shoring up the world-building questions as well as the impact of the big boom.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-03-17 00:48:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

This is where an Attack of the Clones-length film would actually have been warranted. TFA is paced quickly enough that an additional five or ten minutes wouldn't hurt it much if at all, and the confirmed deleted scenes which feature Leia and her aide talking in detail about the political situation between the Republic and the Resistance (the aide was going to the capital in order to request aid against the First Order) would've gone a long way toward shoring up the world-building questions as well as the impact of the big boom.

Indeed. I saw a video, somewhere on YouTube, discussing items that were cut from the film. The major piece is Leia's aide, who is shown near the impact of the Starkiller beam. I guess Abrams avoided the political controversy by excising it altogether. But, by doing so, it really cheapens that scene, and really gives us no insight in to what the New Republic is all about.  That, to me, is the biggest missed opportunity.

I understand that they are trying to show the little guy against the big guy, a'la the original SW, but it pretty much ignores a large part of the political game, and wipes out an entire faction without comment.  That really feels like a plot hole that feels hard to ignore.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, we coulda done that instead of walking up a shit ton of hills. Seems like a better use of our time.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*breathes in*

POLITICS!! EXACTLY WHAT STAR WARS NEEDS!!

http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/images/handmaiden_id/senate11.jpg

I'M JUST SO EXCITED!!!

/jk

I actually would have really dug it if they dug into the republic a bit more. The whole Rebellion/Republic side of things did feel REALLY glossed over. Hopefully the sequels are given the breathing room to actually get into some of that stuff and flesh out the world a little deeper. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the choices they made for TFA were based around trying to not go to far off the beaten path of what people were expecting from a Star Wars movie, and possibly lose people/critics. so they weren't able to actually go into the politics and deeper details of the new universe.

ZangrethorDigital.ca