Re: Texters and Shushers

Darth Praxus wrote:

Oh Lord.

Um, no

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, let's cultivate the sense of entitlement those twerps have today...

"Interact with the film"? In 1999 I saw some highschoolers throwing eggs at the cinema screen (apparently they were forced to attend that screening by their teachers and decided to express their discontent this way). Back then, this kind of behavior was considered outrageous (the incident caused quite a hubbub in our local media). Nowadays, Disney would probably consider it just another way of "interacting with the film" big_smile

Let's just hope this experiment will fail miserably, 'cause Star Wars Episode VII will also be a Disney release (and I imagine that most of us would like to see it on the big screen).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let us be somewhat fair, this is a case of Disney trying to find some way to revive their old practice of re-releasing films theatrically.

"OK, everyone already has this film on video at home. How can we get them to justify paying for their kids to see it in a theater?"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

"Interact with the film"? In 1999 I saw some highschoolers throwing eggs at the cinema screen (apparently they were forced to attend that screening by their teachers and decided to express their discontent this way). Back then, this kind of behavior was considered outrageous (the incident caused quite a hubbub in our local media). Nowadays, Disney would probably consider it just another way of "interacting with the film" big_smile

Seriously? You equate throwing eggs at and possibly damaging a movie screen with kids sitting in the audience singing along to a Disney movie while their Ipad shows them the lyrics with a little bounding ball to guide them?

I'll grant you the screens might be a little annoying, but let's have a little perspective shall we.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-09-13 17:27:48)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Seriously? You equate throwing eggs at and possibly damaging a movie screen with kids sitting in the audience singing along to a Disney movie while their Ipad shows them the lyrics with a little bounding ball to guide them?

No, it's not the same... I agree that my example is rather extreme. But the overall attitude is somewhat similar. Texting in a theater may seem innocent compared to outright vandalism, but they're both symptoms of a "fuck you, I'm more important than all of you" attitude.

Kids need to be taught some manners and that Disney experiment is a step in the wrong direction. Yeah, I know... I sound like an old prick wink

As long as this "audience participation" is confined to special screenings, I'm fine with that. But little kids may not understand the concept of a "special screening" and develop wrong habits (some already did). We wouldn't want Rocky Horror behavior at all screenings, right?

Last edited by MartyJ (2013-09-13 17:41:51)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In 2012 I only saw The Avengers and The Hobbit in theaters and both experiences were marred by other film goers. I was ready to give up and just wait for dvd/blu-ray releases, then I visited the Alamo Drafthouse. We saw Iron Man 3 and Pacific Rim at the day's first showing and there was a total of 3 other people besides us for the 2 movies. They do have Sing-Along and Quote-Along screenings, but if it's a quiet and peaceful experience you're looking for- it can be found there, even on the weekend.

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, unless the Alamo Drafthouse is charging you a few hundred dollars, I don't see your experience there as being a GOOD thing. With only three customers a showing, they'll be closing soon smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

OK, unless the Alamo Drafthouse is charging you a few hundred dollars, I don't see your experience there as being a GOOD thing. With only three customers a showing, they'll be closing soon smile

When I go, I go to the very 1st showing of the day(I don't like crowds). I hear it's more crowded in the evening, plus they serve alcohol, so that probably helps out their bottom line quite a bit compared to normal theaters. Their ticket and concession prices are comparable to a regular place, and it's a lot smaller, too. So I guess they don't have as much overhead.

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't recall whether it's been mentioned yet, but as a frequent matinee attender one thing that regularly disrupts my experience is, quite frankly, older people.

Not all older people, obviously, and not all of the time, but I go to enough screenings to have noticed that it's a thing. Specifically, it's older people who likely have hearing aids (or are likely in need of hearing aids) not realizing how loud they are whispering and/or not realizing that they are, in fact, not whispering at all but speaking in a much-too-loud voice. Also, there's the falling asleep and snoring loudly thing, which I witness at least once a month.

To be fair, I consider this almost a separate issue altogether because these folks are absolutely not doing these things on purpose and are otherwise exemplary theater patrons. If someone doesn't realize, then they don't realize. The good news is I've never seen an older person horsing around on an iPhone during a screening.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/man-s … ovie-at-ta

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

As an anti-shitty patron activist, I'm gonna go on record as saying I find this excessive.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Few things on that, not to totally derail the thread.

1) The murdered man was texting his 3-year-old daughter. I assume he and his wife were having a night out and he was texting the babysitter.

2) This all happened DURING THE PREVIEWS.

EDIT: Political derailment deleted.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-01-14 01:12:16)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

As an anti-shitty patron activist, I'm gonna go on record as saying I find this excessive.

You're right. Dismemberment of the hands would have been just as effective, without the distracting gunshot noise.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Can we all agree that it's okay to text during the trailers as long as you turn your phone off once the actual movie starts?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Agreed.  Plus it is never okay to shoot anyone in a movie theater for texting at any time.

Of course, this was in Florida so that warning should probably be shown onscreen before every movie.

Trey wrote:

Agreed.  Plus it is never okay to shoot anyone in a movie theater for texting at any time.

Of course, this was in Florida so that warning should probably be shown onscreen before every movie.

I believe this should be a policy of not shooting anyone over texting, regardless of location.

(Dear Firefox, it is the year 2014 and texting is a common. thing. I shouldn't have to add the word to the dictionary. Thank you.)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not to get too political, but I wonder if the shooter was a fan of the movie "God Bless America" or "The East"

A lot of people like to argue that talk radio hosts should watch what they say and/or suggest because they have a lot of influence over weak minded people. I wonder if the same argument will be made about some film makers.

And no matter what the shooters motivation or frustration, what he did was absolutely sick.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

pastormacman wrote:

Not to get too political, but I wonder if the shooter was a fan of the movie "God Bless America" or "The East"

I think he'd been playing violent video games.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel like the fact that this person did this in a movie theater is interesting but, overall, incidental. If someone would have pissed this guy off at Starbucks, he'd have probably whipped out his pistol there. He's a sick puppy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

I feel like the fact that this person did this in a movie theater is interesting but, overall, incidental. If someone would have pissed this guy off at Starbucks, he'd have probably whipped out his pistol there. He's a sick puppy.

He left the theater and came back in right before the shooting. If he was looking for a manager, that's one thing. If he was going to get his gun, this becomes first-degree murder. It probably wouldn't have been too hard to find a manager, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's being reported that the shooter is a retired police officer(!) and former security person at Busch Gardens. The cops are saying he was indeed looking for a theater employee.

Apparently he was hauled before a judge today and charged with second-degree murder. Minimum 25 to life in FL because a firearm was used. He'll probably die in jail. (The guy's 71 years old. I'd be surprised if he were a video gamer. Man he shot was early 40s. Very sad.)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justice/f … -shooting/

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2444 … rt]charged

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's like the cops always say: there's never a theater employee around when you need one.

doty

Only, for Trey.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

God fucking damn it. AMC CEO open to allowing texting in some theatres.

Thumbs up Thumbs down