Re: Your Random Creations

Doesn't look bad in the still, but the sim is way too fast. The smoke behaves more like fire than actual smoke.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Appreciate the thought but its not supposed to be real smoke. Quote-unquote. Like I said its for a character effect. Theres some other factors at play.

Would say more but you know, secrets and surprises and all that.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2016-04-09 17:00:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

My wife's been in Africa since Friday and doesn't get back until Saturday. I know it's no big deal (I dunno how you military types DO that....) but it's the first time for us. So I wrote this for fun:  big_smile

I know it’s not that big a deal
I know I’m being dumb and lame
I’ll be fine, life goes on
But while she’s gone it’s not the s

Sure, it’s true she’s coming back
She’s doing good, a worthy cost
I’ll be fine, I know my way
But still I feel a little l

My stupid feelings! Fie on you!
I was fine for 20 years!
I’ll BE fine! Calm down, you sap!
No need for sighs, or frowns, or t

It’s 2 AM. This mattress sucks.
The room’s too dark. I hate this sheet.
I’LL BE FINE! .......come home soon.
I don’t like feeling incompl

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

People that are friends with me on Facebook probably already saw the short version of this story, but here's a clip I made last night, followed by the longer version.

I needed a background of a waving checkered flag to put behind the end slide of the week of racing games I'll be releasing on my channel. With the exception of a few in the $10 range, most were like fifty bucks for thirty seconds of looping footage. This being crazy and me being poor, I decided, "Screw that, I'll make it myself!"

Some regrets were had.

The flag was easy enough to assemble; some nice high resolution checkerboard from Wikipedia tiled in a way to match a flag.

The first animation tutorials I found used fractal noise. I skipped through those and felt they were a bit too esoteric, not the right tool for the job, and the resuts weren't quite what I was looking for.

Then I found a tutorial by Chris Zwar, whose results were what I was looking for, whose methods made sense, and holy hell it's 45 minutes long. I started scrubbing through, and fully half of the tutorial is how he made the flag. Wikipedia, some fabric noise, grunging it up a bit. I'm fine with my plain checkerboard, thank you, how do I make it do the flappy.

When it finally came time to talk about how to use the Wave World plugin, which comes pre-baked into Adobe After Effects CS3 and later, he was scant on the details of how it actually worked. He was better with CC Glass, but that one didn't require nearly as much tweaking.

Then when I was nearly done I decided, "You know what that could use? Depth of field." Add a camera, make it like an f/0.3 aperture or something, then spent a while troubleshooting banding that was showing up even in a 32bit workspace only to realize that it was just fine on the export.

...Then I went and exported it to H.264 and uploaded it to YouTube so I'm sure it's not perfect. But it's there, and free, if you ever need it.

The troubleshooting was fun, but I don't think it's something I'll ever do again; if I'd found it for free I probably would have just gone with that. Still, I like it. Guess that's what matters.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Nicely done!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Because I can.

http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/_Media/thumb_img_0165_1024_med.jpeg

Painting by my niece.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

So I made this just before Ep 7 came out, and it was automatically dropped on the "copyright problem" list.
Apparently, since then, the ban was lifted/it was judged harmless. So I can post it!

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Because I can.

http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/_Media/thumb_img_0165_1024_med.jpeg

Painting by my niece.

Wait, so who are you? Invid, or Invid's fan?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I HAVE NEVER SEEN BOTH IN THE SAME ROOM AT THE SAME TIME.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An author must be his own fan, first and foremost.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Added some lightsabers to a cool shot from the latest Game of Thrones.

Forgot just how taxing roto can be. Glad I didn't attempt the whole fight... yet.

http://i.imgur.com/66RUsf6.gif

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Solid work.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A.) Nicely done.
B.) Haven't been keeping up with GoT lately, so it's incredibly refreshing to see them holding on a shot longer than a third of a second during a fight scene.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) your work is great! The blades look like they belong in the environment.
2) Their choreography is bad.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, good stuff. Lots of other scenes you could do as well tongue

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I shot some timelapse sequences last week and used them to try my hand at Nuke Studio. I wanted to work a bit on a workflow that would allow me to achieve a film-like result. The result is not perfect, some flickering can still be seen and stabilization could be better on some shots (it was quite windy), but timelapsin' again feels good.

If only I had better lenses.

(also I love Nuke Studio)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Nifty.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some great shots there Saniss  big_smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I'm going to hell.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

All I did was watch it and I'm going to hell.

Well done. And to everyone in America, vote well and good luck. (If you have any questions about moving to Canada, I'll do my best to help. But there's no room in my house. Sorry.)

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Does Canada have a top, or does it just wrap around onto the other side of the globe?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The North Pole is obviously the top. It is the vantage point from which Santa looks down and judges us all. tongue

We pretty much consider the northernmost part of Canada - the bit within the Arctic Circle - the top. Go far enough north and then it's just a quick jaunt across the Bay to Greenland. It'd be a hop, skip, and a jump to Russia on the other side, too, if it weren't for that pesky Alaska.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

In my current situation of being on summer break and having the misfortune of remaining unemployed, I've got a lot of free time. This means I get a lot of random thoughts floating through my head, and occasionally some of them mash together in interesting ways. Today, in the midst of my going through the Criterion Collection catalog in preparation for their July sale, it occurred to me that it had really been too long since I rewatched The Formula and Sad Max. And one thing led to another, and inspired by a Star Wars fan who did something similar with the OT...

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc517/darthpraxus/formulacriterion_zpspgbh346z.png

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc517/darthpraxus/sadmaxcriterion_zpsfu1wg0el.png

They ain't perfect—I wasn't gonna blow a couple hundred bucks to get the right fonts package, and the colors are off in a couple places where I couldn't get the grading right—but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out. I'm buying a pack of five Criterion Blu-Ray cases in order to house my copies of the Star Wars Trilogy Despecialized Editions, and I think I might use the leftover two to house these along with their respective movies.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-06-10 07:45:28)

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Those look awesome.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down