Re: Life Changes

Model glue showed up at my door unexpectedly. Thank you smile

I have a question for the group. Does anyone need a subject to practice animation and/or character design? Making all this anime appleTV compatible has reminded me that while my stories will never be adapted to another medium, it would be fun to have opening credits for some of them. Say, a 30-90 second cel animated opening to Bells Across the Universe, with space ships, four eyed monkey girls, assorted aliens, and giant squirrels. Or for The Saga of Nowy Poland, with Winged Hussar's charging across the battlefield,elves, giant Frog creatures, and women in realistic armor. Need music, too  big_smile

(I had almost forgotten how great the opening of Souther Cross, the middle part of Robotech, was)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid, dunno if you've been on lately, but how are you doing?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Note: Obituaries are at
http://www.taylorandreynolds.com/christopher-mack/ and http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buffal … =180785152

And one of his favorite pieces of classical music can be heard at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MPuoOj5TIw

Christopher F. Mack, AKA Invid Fan. Born September 23, 1969, and died July 21, 2016.

It's a bit strange to use the word "friend" here, since I didn't know much more than this: he was a writer, he liked movies, and he was an uncle. We debated the role of characters in stories, and agreed that Fury Road and Inside Out were good movies.
But, in some small way, he was my friend. He was our friend. He made well over a thousand posts in this little forum, most of which were before my time. From skimming through them, there were lively debates, awful jokes, and worthwhile conversations.

And when I did some snooping and found out he was dead, it hurt. So yes, Invid was a friend. He was willing to open up and let us know when life was not going well. Friendship has many shades, but is rarely deeper than when sharing vulnerabilities. So I believe he considered us friends as well.

Therefore, my friend, we will miss you. And though I wish I could say we will always think of you, life will continue, and we will be focused on living. I'm certain you wouldn't want us to spend the rest of our lives mourning you anyway. Howsoever often or rarely we do remember, though, it will be fondly.

Finally, I hope that we provided some amount of comfort to you in your last months. Thanks so much for being a part of this forum, a member of this "wonderful community of people" Teague is always talking about in commentaries.
Thanks for reading and writing.
Thanks for sharing.
And, from all of us: Thanks very much for listening! Goodnight, goodnight.

Last edited by Writhyn (2016-09-03 01:38:05)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +8 Thumbs down

sad

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Holy shit. sad He's one of those people who was here since forever, his voice will definitely be missed.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Posting this here, and I'm gonna go ahead and send it as a condolence on the page. Not sure what is or isn't appropriate in this situation, but hopefully it's received okay.

It's strange, I never met Christopher Mack; I knew him only as "Invid," a smart, writerly chap sharing his opinions and personality with us on the message board of a filmmaking podcast. To us, what he looked like was a character from Robotech (due to his choice of icon) and what he sounded like was white text. I'm sure that description doesn't match the Christopher Mack his family knew, but it's what we had — and for what would turn out to be the last six years of his life, "Invid" was a part of our family, too. He was a longstanding and well-regarded member of a community of storytelling nerds on the internet, and he was a friend in our head, just as we were friends in his.

That isn't really hyperbole, either; the whole point [and name] of our community is "friends in your head," and not only was Invid an early member of the board — indeed, one who stuck around to help build it into a community in the first place — but he did more than his share of outreach on our behalf, and, in one case, on behalf of the Against Malaria Foundation. (His donation sent five long-lasting insecticided nets to Ghana, where they are currently protecting nine people Christopher never met from a death sentence; something those nets will continue to do until the year 2019.)

It was a shock to all of us when he told us about his condition, and another shock with every update. It was a shock when he passed. I can't believe he was taken so young. If he were around to hear it, I'd make a joke about how his life has been going lately, and how it seems like he's 'having some problems with act two.' I'm guessing his reply would be "aren't we all" — and that the 'we' would be referring to all the storytellers, like him, who know how this thing begins and how it has to end, and work tirelessly to make some sense of the journey.

He is missed already.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +9 Thumbs down

Really sad news.

A few years ago Chris asked me for some Polish translations for his online novel. I'm glad I could help.

We'll miss you, man.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I think that was a great writeup, Teague. I know at least his sister and 12-year-old niece are nerdy, so I'm sure they'll get it. If anyone else would like to post on the funeral home link, I think that would be cool.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are no words.  sad

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down