Topic: [BOAT] Good scenes

I have recently revisited some WAYDM commentaries, especially Transformers and Spider-man 3, and one thing that stood out to me was that there were several good scenes in otherwise terrible movies. This thread is to share scenes that fall in to two categories:
-Scenes that are really good but from terrible movies
or
-Scenes from good movies but stand out for some reason.

I'll share some quick examples that have floated around my mind and to illustrate what I mean.

Opening of "Daredevil" series:

For those unfamiliar, Netflix has created an original series about Daredevil and is quite good, but one scene has always stood out to me. That scene is the opening fight choreography, in which we discover what kind of people Daredevil is fighting against. It also illustrates his powers without explicitly showing them. While the series is well done, this scene stands out as a quick introduction to Daredevil.

Desolation of Smaug: Legolas vs. Bolg
I will be among the first to admit that the Hobbit films are a mixed bag, with most of it being considered bad, if not absolutely awful. So, this might surprise some of you, because Legolas largely serves no function in the film and yet this fight scene still stands out:

One of the main reasons the scene stands out is the music goes from very epic strings to nothing. The sound work in this is amazing because each blow feels accented in a way that makes it more harsh to me. The scene is incredibly short, and ends with some abysmal CGI, so it's easy to forget. But, the choreography stands out in a very powerful, raw, way.

Star Trek (2009): Opening Scene
Those who know me, know that I am big supporter of Abrams Star Trek, despite its flaws. But, less my above two examples make you think that all I care about is action scenes, I want to point to this next scene:

While there is action in this scene, it isn't that part that stands out. Captain Robau faces down certain death with all the cool demeanor of a man at a poker table. Similarly, George Kirk makes a personal decision to sacrifice his life for the sake of wife and child. It makes me cry ever time, and while the rest of the movie hit and miss, this scene has an amazing emotional punch to it.

That's a quick set. I'll add others, but feel free to discuss, dissect, disagree and add your own.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: [BOAT] Good scenes

The Brood: Opening Scene (Bad Movie, Great Scene)

For the most part, The Brood is a complete failure of a film. It's shoddily paced, populated by singularly dull characters, and utterly lacking in tension. Its ending, which is shocking and stomach-turning in classic Cronenberg fashion, stays etched into the mind, but the rest of the film doesn't earn that ending.

Oliver Reed, however, elevates every single scene he's in, playing a power-hungry psychiatrist who wields an unhealthy amount of control over his patients. Reed's performance is gripping, memorably chilling, and bears a dignified weight completely absent from the rest of the film. It's a genuinely memorable turn that he didn't need to put in the effort for, and I respect him so much for delivering it. This seems to be a common trend with Reed--he's easily the best part of the otherwise abysmal Tommy film adaptation.

This scene in particular is compelling to me. The utter cruelty and domineering power of Reed's performance are arresting, and his unfortunate patient doesn't do half-bad either. It's a marvelous introduction to a film that unfortunately doesn't live up to it.

Branagh's Hamlet: "To be, or not to be..." (Great Movie, Even Greater Scene)

Now, don't get me wrong. I love me some Branagh, and this is a great movie, my favorite of 1996 in fact. But as it's a four hour full-text adaptation of the play, it's obviously gonna be somewhat uneven. It's also in many places played very broadly, which works and is highly entertaining, but that makes this scene stand out all the more.

The simple device of having Hamlet deliver the soliloquy to himself in a mirror is utterly brilliant and utterly cinematic. On top of that, Branagh's delivery is passionate and engaged but far more subtle than his more energized performance in the rest of the film. His inflections are just superb--no matter how many times I watch the scene, his reading of "But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come," simultaneously rapturous yet fearful, always gives me chills. It's a perfect example of how text that, while intrinsically brilliant, can come across as flat on the page springs to life in the hands of a talented, committed actor.

Ringu/Ring: The End (Bad Movie, Great Scene)

Yeah, so, unpopular opinion time... Ringu kinda sucks. Like, really kinda sucks. But by god, the ending makes me wish it didn't.

Trumbo: I Make Garbage (Bad Movie, Great Scene)

(Not the full version of the scene, unfortunately.) Want to add life to your desperately stale period piece? Throw in John Goodman wrecking shit with a baseball bat.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Nick Fury Car Chase (Bad Movie, Great Scene)

In a universe that almost never feels like anything more than guys in costumes straining against the godawful scripts they're given, this scene is a breath of goddamn fresh air.

Crimson Peak: The Wheelchair (Good Movie, Great Scene)

Not long enough to merit a video clip, but in a film that's mostly unconcerned with being scary and more with being a lovely Gothic throwback, the nicely foreshadowed bit where

SPOILER Show
Tom Hiddleston casually brings in a wheelchair for Mia Wazikowska's character
gave me the chills.

fireproof78 wrote:

Star Trek (2009): Opening Scene

I love the rest of the movie too, but I wish to god J.J. would fill his films with more lyrical, contemplative stuff like this scene and the quieter bits of The Force Awakens. In preparation for the latter I rewatched all of Abrams' films, and I was still fighting back tears when I got to this scene despite having seen the movie two or three times before.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-06-01 05:48:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some more fun stuff for me.

Red:

If you haven't seen Red, please go see it. It's Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich as retired CIA. Still not interested? Well, take a peak at this brief scene where Willis saves a lady friend of his from being kidnapped and then gets in a car accident against Karl Urban.

Corky Romano
Don't watch this movie, In fact, just don't even acknowledge this movie, except for this scene, when undercover mob black sheep Corky ends up with a bag of FBI evidence cocaine and then is asked to give a speech to school children. The rest of the movie is just awful comedy, but this scene makes me laugh.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love RED. It's easily one of my favorites.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually made a whole playlist of favorite scenes a while back, I forget why.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, in the last I think three weeks, Star Wars Rebels had an amazing episode (mileage will vary) where Ezra ends up on everyone's favorite dust bowl-Tatooine.

Now, spoilers for those of you who watch either Star Wars Rebels or Star Wars Clone Wars. So, fair warning.

Spoilers away smile

Show
Darth Maul survived the Clone Wars, and ends up in Rebels attempting to bring about his revenge upon, well, pretty much everyone. He's been trying to make Ezra his new apprentice, and Ezra ends up thinking he needs to find Obi-Wan. Well, Maul follows Ezra to Obi-Wan, resulting in a battle.

For those of you who are fans of bladed combat, this fight is very much Seven Samurai, both in its speed as well as its execution. It also gives great insight in to how Maul and Obi-Wan has changed as characters.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Nice to see some animated Star Wars love going on here, the latter part of this season has been incredible.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Queefward wrote:

Nice to see some animated Star Wars love going on here, the latter part of this season has been incredible.

One of the best scenes in Star Wars, in my opinion.

Ok, this next scene comes from a film that might require an introduction.
Mouse Hunt
Go watch it first, to appreciate the film that tries to funny and yet serious and goofy and on and on. It has a Christopher Walken performance that can only be believed if seen. Honestly, the direction probably went something like this:
Chris: I'm a what? A mouse obsessed exterminator? Got it.
Director: You need a motivation? I mean, it's kind off...
Chris: No, I've been preparing for this scene my whole life.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/a45c0fbc7befe6eb58be1314b7363f86/tumblr_mxmm20LTGS1shcqoxo1_500.gif
But, the scene I truly enjoy, and am amazed when you look at this film, is this one:

That explosion is fantastic.
This movie makes no sense. but its a crazy fun ride.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2017-04-19 02:59:14)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh man, I looooooooooooooooooove Mousehunt. One of those movies that popped up in my childhood and was just sorta perfect. Haven't watched it in years though. Think I may have to change that after watching that clip, gettin me all nostalgic up in here.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think "Mouse Hunt" might be a perfect movie.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I would probably definitely agree.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I heard the guys mention mousehunt a few WAYDM's ago...blew my mind. I remember that movie fondly.

Welp, how about everyone watch it and let's talk about it smile Whoever does it first, post a thread.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was probably me who mentioned it, I recall Mouse Hunt fondly. If I'm not mistaken, directed by Gore Verbinski.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it was you, on the Hitchhiker's Guide comm.

Brian seconded your feelings.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Everyone's onboard! Let's Kickstart a sequel.

2 Hunt 2 Mice

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Everyone's onboard! Let's Kickstart a sequel.

2 Hunt 2 Mice

Shut up and take my money!

But only if Walken is in it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down