Topic: I've got a podcast!

And it's not about movies. My buddy Toby and I have decided to try our hand at podcast. And since we couldn't decide what to podcast about, we're podcasting about everything. The podcast is titled "Hey, What's up?" and we basically just answer the question, what's up? We talk about whatever it that's going on that we have an interesting, try to have a discussion, and tend to get a little ramble-y. If you can bear to give us a listen, we'd appreciate feedback.

Download link

At some point I'm going to add intro/outro music, but I don't have that yet.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2016-06-30 04:58:47)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: I've got a podcast!

Haven't listened yet, but here's a linky-link version you can use if you're so inclined. I dunno how Dropbox works or if it's eatin' up your space.

I mean, I'm already payin' for this thing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fancy. Much appreciated.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oooo!

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, feedback.

I know this is why you had a hard time starting the podcast, but I would strongly recommend you add a little more structure to this. Hey, What's Up? could surely work as a concept, but listening to 50-odd minutes of rambling discussion was.....hard to do.
I'll make my suggestions, and please reject them if you wish smile

1) Make a time limit. I believe there was a survey done a bit back that landed on 20 minutes as the optimal length for a podcast. Anecdotally, I agree. I strongly dislike podcasts that are 5 minutes or less. And unless there's a good reason (such as a movie commentary), I'd rather listen to three shorter episodes about three different things than listen to one hour episodes about three or more things. This depends on the conversation, of course, but I'd set the timer for 20 minutes and come with notes. If you have more than one or two things to talk about, just record a few episodes! Then you have something for when you can't record.

2) Audio quality. One of the voices sounded fine, the other didn't. Try to fix that. I realize there are limitations, but it's really, really hard to listen to anything with bad audio.

3) Even if the body of the cast is random, I'd recommend coming up with special content segments. Like, each of you bring an article to talk about for the last five minutes. Cool stuff going on in the nerd world. Give your conversation a little more of an anchor. Or maybe spend the last five minutes relating an article from the Odd News section of news sites, whatever. Do a Jimmy Fallon-style improv game. I dunno.

Speaking personally, I listen to podcasts first to learn something, and second because I like the hosts. Whatever that something is, make it applicable or interesting to an audience.
If you haven't heard of it, I'd recommend checking out We Have Concerns. It's a two-man podcast that has a great vibe. There's loads of stuff to talk about in this world.

That's all! These are just my thoughts.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Ok, feedback.

I know this is why you had a hard time starting the podcast, but I would strongly recommend you add a little more structure to this. Hey, What's Up? could surely work as a concept, but listening to 50-odd minutes of rambling discussion was.....hard to do.
I'll make my suggestions, and please reject them if you wish smile

1) Make a time limit. I believe there was a survey done a bit back that landed on 20 minutes as the optimal length for a podcast. Anecdotally, I agree. I strongly dislike podcasts that are 5 minutes or less. And unless there's a good reason (such as a movie commentary), I'd rather listen to three shorter episodes about three different things than listen to one hour episodes about three or more things. This depends on the conversation, of course, but I'd set the timer for 20 minutes and come with notes. If you have more than one or two things to talk about, just record a few episodes! Then you have something for when you can't record.

Yeah, we got way more rambly then I expected, and cutting things down to one topic per episode would help.

Writhyn wrote:

2) Audio quality. One of the voices sounded fine, the other didn't. Try to fix that. I realize there are limitations, but it's really, really hard to listen to anything with bad audio.

Can you tell me who has the bad audio? I thought we were both fine, but if there's a problem I want to fix it.

Writhyn wrote:

3) Even if the body of the cast is random, I'd recommend coming up with special content segments. Like, each of you bring an article to talk about for the last five minutes. Cool stuff going on in the nerd world. Give your conversation a little more of an anchor. Or maybe spend the last five minutes relating an article from the Odd News section of news sites, whatever. Do a Jimmy Fallon-style improv game. I dunno.

These are good ideas. We tossed around the idea of having set segments, but couldn't come up with anything we liked. We'll try things out and keep brainstorming.

Writhyn wrote:

Speaking personally, I listen to podcasts first to learn something, and second because I like the hosts. Whatever that something is, make it applicable or interesting to an audience.
If you haven't heard of it, I'd recommend checking out We Have Concerns. It's a two-man podcast that has a great vibe. There's loads of stuff to talk about in this world.

That's all! These are just my thoughts.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the feedback!

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Can you tell me who has the bad audio? I thought we were both fine, but if there's a problem I want to fix it.

It was (I think) your buddy with the deeper voice? It may just be the nature of his voice needing some EQ tweaking, but the sound was very "noisy"

And hey. If you wanna third guy to add dynamics, let me know. It might be interesting to have two best friends and a guy who knows literally nothing about you wink

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One thought might be to simply focus on being completely timeless with your conversation. When conversation is stripped of its time-triangulating content, there's no givens in the conversation or people being left out. It also means you're mostly telling stories about your life or your brain, and — almost as a rule — those are funner to listen to than conversations about the popular nouns of the moment. For me, anyway.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

It was (I think) your buddy with the deeper voice? It may just be the nature of his voice needing some EQ tweaking, but the sound was very "noisy"

And hey. If you wanna third guy to add dynamics, let me know. It might be interesting to have two best friends and a guy who knows literally nothing about you wink

I'm the one with the deeper voice. I've got a pretty good mic but it does tend to pick up background noise so maybe that's what you're picking up on. Or maybe it's my voice. I'm not really a sound guy so I'm not sure what to do here.

I'm not sure about a third regular member, but that might be a good idea. Hmmm. I know we're planning to do guests so if you want a guest appearance you're welcome.

Teague wrote:

One thought might be to simply focus on being completely timeless with your conversation. When conversation is stripped of its time-triangulating content, there's no givens in the conversation or people being left out. It also means you're mostly telling stories about your life or your brain, and — almost as a rule — those are funner to listen to than conversations about the popular nouns of the moment. For me, anyway.

I'm sure we'll do some like this, but I know we do want to talk about currently going on stuff as well. By cutting down to one topic per episode it'll be easier for you to know which ones to skip though.

Also, did you have any issues with the audio or have any ideas how to fix what Writhyn is hearing? You have a lot more experience with this than I do.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2016-07-01 02:55:26)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down