Re: Last movie you watched

Cloe and I have been catching up on old movies we missed. Here's some stuff from this week.

http://i.imgur.com/Kuf30OA.png

The Hustler

Great. Paul Newman is outstanding, Jackie Gleason is cool as hell, interesting portrayal of vicious cycles, addiction and hubris. Plus a handful of "how many attempts did that take?"-style trick shots.

http://i.imgur.com/eLFSPCu.png

Sunset Boulevard

A classic. Meh. Some interesting dynamics at work, but overall this was a good idea for a movie that was brought down by shit-ass plotting and some of the laziest character writing I'm aware of. It'd be a hell of a story if I could ever once find Norma Desmond plausible, but seeing as she's only slightly more realistic than Miss Piggy, it's a struggle.

http://i.imgur.com/PnMlibX.png

To Kill A Mockingbird

A bit underwhelmed by this one also, but not for lack of craftsmanship— it's just precisely what it is, and not much more than that. An outdated moralizing polemic that's becoming harder and harder to be moved by as the modern world keeps setting new traps for it to fall into. Atticus Finch is one principled motherfucker, and Walter Peck manages to make it convincing, but standing among all of this story's hifalutin moral stances are a number of bigger "death of the director"-style cultural insights, like how the happy ending of this story about a white guy believing the story of a convicted black guy actually includes no justice to speak of, just some very moral white people telling each other life lessons. Slice of life, history, etc., fair rebuttals — but go back and actually watch Philadelphia sometime, that aggressively-tolerant "AIDS victims are people too" movie; see if you don't find yourself cringing all the same.

http://i.imgur.com/0jtrUWb.png

The Bridge on the River Kwai

*whistles tune*

Despite this movie's own ultimate message — and despite the preceding example of Walter Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird — Alec Guinness slowly-but-surely illuminates what at first seems like an absurd moral position (that captured officers in a POW camp, like Guinness himself, shouldn't have to work alongside their captured soldiers) until by the end of the movie the purpose and pragmatism of his position have become completely clear, and he's able to move mountains with the careful application of civilization. Not that it matters much.

Yeah, this movie ages better than To Kill A Mockingbird. Rather long, mostly due to '50s shoeleather and a couple repeated dramatic beats, but interesting and instructive all the same.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

and despite the preceding example of Walter Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird

Walter Peck had no dick.  Gregory Peck, on the other hand...

/filmsplaining

I will leave my error that this joke may live.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Walter Peck had no dick.  Gregory Peck, on the other hand...

/filmsplaining

http://i.imgur.com/m6xZcxY.gif

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg/220px-Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg

Wow.  What a strange and terrible movie. 

The thing that hit me most was the way it had this weird, dream-like (but not in a good way) quality.  It was like, I literally understand every word that the characters are saying.  (The movie was in English after all.)  But every time I tried to actually think "OK, what did that sentence just mean?" or "How does what's going on in this scene relate to something else that's happened in the movie?", I just had no idea.  It was exactly that sense of untethered bafflement that you get in dreams:  "Wait, I was on a boat earlier.  How did I get on to this train?  And why is my old high-school girlfriend here?", etc. etc.  (Funnily enough, the last movie that I really remember coming away with that same feeling from was Batman and Robin.)

I think I concur with the general opinion that Ben Affleck is actually one of the better things about the movie, but in general a lot of the other creative decisions didn't work for me at all.  I have no idea why they decided to play Lex Luthor the way they did.  Now granted, I don't know much about him as a character beyond what's in Challenge of the Superfriends, but a kind of watered-down Joker mark 2 wasn't what I was expecting.

And then of course at the end

SPOILER Show
when Superman supposedly gives his life to destroy the Krypton monster, it just feels completely phony and hollow.  For fuck's sake, we *know* he's not really dead because we've already seen the posters for Justice League.  And then they milk it for several scenes, and this pointless melodrama just goes on and on.  If you're gonna do that, you can't think the character's dead for more than like 10 seconds, like in The Avengers.  And why didn't they just give the spear to Wonder Woman again?

Funnily enough, though it comes basically out of the blue (like everything else in this film), I did like the idea that the motivation for the Justice League comes out of Bruce Wayne's guilt over Superman's death.

And then there's all the weird God vs. Man stuff, which is clearly supposed to be an Important Theme in this movie, and which for me didn't come off at all.  It's like the rest of the film actually, now that I think about it.  It's amazingly somehow both heavy-handedly ostentatious and diffusely incoherent at the same time.  People explicitly talk about it a lot.  There's whole scenes about it.  But I didn't get what point was being made.  It's like they said "OK, God vs. Man is going to be a big theme in this film", but then never decided what, if anything, they actually wanted to say about this opposition.   

So there's something about God, and absolute power, and absolute goodness.  And maybe Superman can't be absolutely good until he's not absolutely powerful, which is where the kryptonite comes in.  And then somehow this ties into courage, because Superman can't really do anything courageous, being invulnerable.  But then Batman....and now my head hurts.

And then there's supposed to be something thematically relating to parents and children I think, but I understand that even less well than the God bullshit (as Howard Beale would say).  Lucky both Superman and Batman's moms were named Martha though, right?

I do think though that they've maybe got something interesting to explore with Wonder Woman, even if I wasn't particularly excited about her scenes in the film.  This idea that The Great War (aka The War To End War) caused her to give up on humanity could lend a *really* interesting perspective to that character.  I would look forward to seeing that done well, though I have no confidence that it will be. 

Anyway, at least the movie seems like it'll stick with me, even if it's in exactly the way that dream about talking hotdogs sticks with me.  I guess that's something.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/last-days-in-the-desert-poster.jpg

For those of you looking for a Jesus movie that isn't completely braindead and/or stiflingly pious, I'd recommend giving this a watch. A bit of a muddle, but compared to most others of its ilk it feels remarkably fresh and humane. And my frustration at another whitewashed Son of God aside, McGregor does a marvelous job in his dual role as Yeshua and his tempter--his Jesus is humane without being at all saccharine, while his Satan is just incredibly fun to watch in addition to the occasional touching/chilling moment.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-08-28 05:51:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw footage from that thing in a fan-made trailer for "Star Wars Obi-Wan". Wondered where it came from. Will watch!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/The_Good_Dinosaur_poster.jpg

This movie's thin, mediocre story (almost reminiscent of a Winnie The Pooh movie) suggests that it was meant to be aimed at the youngest kids, but the few moments of pretty intense violence

SPOILER Show
(most notably the beetle decapitation scene)

seem to disprove that theory. The end result just feels incoherent and pointless. Pixar's writing staff really screwed that pooch (maybe their best guys were busy writing Inside Out or transferred to Disney Animation Studios to make Zootopia; both are immensely superior to this dud).

To sum it up: I found it the least enjoyable Pixar movie to date.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

See: Legend of the Guardians.

I'm going to skip over my repeat viewing of Beyond this weekend and mention last week's random decision of Ben-Hur. I've never seen much of the original, but I thought this new one was really good. A little non-traditionally structured, as in unafraid to spend more time on things it finds interesting instead of just "the main arc", but very enjoyable.

Plus:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Q36qxgswIWE/maxresdefault.jpg
Can I offer anyone a man-crush?

My g/f informed me that the book was entitled "Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ" and we couldn't stop laughing at the suggestion of a Bible Cinematic Universe.
"This is a race, isn't it? I'm a racist."

Last edited by Vapes (2016-08-29 17:24:07)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Vapes: from the trailers and overall advertisement, I wouldn't have paid one cent for this Ben-Hur remake. Guess the blockbuster world still has some tricks up its sleeves?

--

I've been using this at-folks'-home-not-doing-a-darn-thing week to catch up on my infinite list of films I need to see.

Bronson

http://i.imgur.com/gBkxejA.jpg

Wow. Lighter on the artsy side of things than later Refn's work, it gives all the room in the world for Tom Hardy to show us the absolute madness of Britain's most notorious prisoner. The film doesn't comment, it just shows, and lets you decide for yourself what to think of Charlie Bronson. Myself? I'm not sure. Hell, I haven't got a clue. But this film is great. The constant contrast between the lightness in music and style (with frequent cuts to a theatrical setting inside Bronson's mind where he addresses an imaginary audience, often disguised in ways that would outshine even Peter Gabriel during his Genesis era) and the unfathomable violence of the character had me laugh at times, and uneasy at others. A bit of both most of the time.

--

Groundhog Day

http://i.imgur.com/iLQ9tqd.jpg

Lovely. Instant Christmas movie that surprised me by going into darker territories at times.

--

Escape from New York

http://i.imgur.com/5bpwNfa.jpg

Great atmosphere, but in the end, I found the whole thing a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy films where nothing much seems to go on, but it didn't work with this one for me. I think I expected something different, something along the same lines as Big Trouble in Little China. But this one is more serious - not a bad thing in itself, but although Kurt Russell's Snake Plissken is badass, he felt underused to me, and the movie just doesn't give me enough.

--

Galaxy Quest

http://i.imgur.com/BPFRDIz.jpg

Such fun times. A scifi spoof with clever undertones that has a very effective humour and great cast chemistry. There's a bitter Alan Rickman, a too charismatic to be true Tim Allen, a Sigourney Weaver who desperately tries to find an use for herself other than the boobtastic female co-star, a Tony Shalhoub just happy for whatever's going on, a cowardly Sam Rockwell great as a channel for space opera trope reversals. It helped me get over H2G2's failure as a movie.

--

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

http://i.imgur.com/MiBCiy0.jpg

Yeah, I'm that late on classics. Kubrick's dark satire on the nuclear balance of terror is a continuous display of incredible performances (with a special shout-out to Peter Sellers doing three different main characters) shot with masterful cinematography. The writing makes you laugh out loud at times, but leaves you uncomfortable; after all, most of the film is only a slight exaggeration of the reality. It especially resonated with me as I'm currently reading works from Hubert Reeves, a Canadian astrophysicist who between explanations on how the universe was formed reminds us of the incredible dangers of annihilation mankind has gone through and still is today.

--

Top Gun

http://i.imgur.com/Is7v4Yr.jpg

I put off watching this one for a long time because I was expecting an overly cheesy pro-military fuck-yeah-America flick. It fared better than this, although never straying far from it. Despite not being Aaron Sorkinesque, the dialogues do their job as well as the actors.
What hurts the movie the most, to me, is the music. Sure, the 80s distorted guitar solos are cool and give the movie nostalgia features, but the more serious scenes get their vibes completely destroyed by the darker side of 80s music filled with chorus-and-reverb-cranked-to-110% guitar chords. The camaraderie between Cruise's Maverick and Edwards' Goose is transformed into homoerotic awkwardness, and the romantic scenes feel much cheesier than they ought to.
Still, fantastically shot aerial combats. Inside of these 80s Navy fun times, there's actually an interesting arc for Tom Cruise's character that managed to keep me involved.

Last edited by Saniss (2016-08-29 20:00:10)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Run_Silent_Run_Deep_1958_Poster.jpg

A 1958 submarine thriller that still holds up. Although Robert Wise focused mostly on character drama (some of which must've inspired parts of Star Trek: The Motion Picture), he also delivered some great practical effects (including impressive model work and some shots of a real submarine) that don't look very dated even today. Overall, a very solid entry into the underwater warfare genre.

Every work of fiction involving an obsessed ship captain owes something to Moby Dick. The Asylum must've had a circular inspiration involving Run Silent, Run Deep when they put Ahab on a submarine.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RE: Extended Bible Cinematic Universe

Just don't give the rights to DC.

You could argue that almost all the horror movies out there from the Exorcist onwards are set in the Extended Bible Cinematic Universe, as Demon-du-jour battles it out with priest or angel.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/The_Bridge_on_the_River_Kwai_poster.jpg

Prompted by both Teague's post about it here and the fact that it leaves Netflix on September 1st, I took it upon myself to finally watch this behemoth. I'd had it in the back of my mind as something I needed to see for ages—classic movie, Obi-Wan Kenobi, so on and so forth—and I was counting on a masterpiece.

This movie makes me so sad, you guys.

Because it totally could have been a masterpiece. The story at the heart of the film—Alec Guiness determines to prove the superiority of British civilization to his captors, becomes so obsessed with this project that he ends up blurring the line between displaying dignity and aiding the enemy—is extremely compelling, and every single frame of the movie that focuses on it is Grade A stuff. Guiness' performance remains powerful even some six decades later, the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous (some dodgy day-for-night bits aside; hey, it was the fifties, I don't expect miracles), and the final sequence of

SPOILER Show
the destruction of the bridge
is one of the more memorable climaxes in cinematic history. Sure, there's some shoe leather as Teague pointed out, but again, it's the fifties. You make allowances.

So the center of the movie isn't the problem. It's the damn other movie that keeps trying to invade it.

The other movie that's been stuffed into this movie, that of the American escapee who's conscripted by the Brits to return to the River Kwai to help demolish the bridge, is almost ruinous. We need to see bits of it—the commandos can't just pop up out of the blue near the end of the movie's runtime—but the director and the screenwriter seem to think that the American is the movie's main character. They devote what feels like a good half of the film's runtime to his recuperation in a British hospital, his hemming and hawing about going back to the River Kwai, and the subsequent journey to the bridge. The problem is a.) the American is not the main character, or at least shouldn't be—the heart of the movie is Guiness' character and his journey—b.) by spending so much time with him, the film completely undercuts the tension of what's happening back at the bridge. Even cutting back and forth between the two stories in a more even-handed manner would have mitigated this somewhat, but instead we spend interminable lengths of time with the American before briefly wandering back over to Guiness, becoming interested again, and then being snatched back to the boring part of the film.

So when I say my biggest problem with the movie is its runtime, I don't mean that all the fifties shoe leather should be stripped away. Leave it. Just cut out a good 60% of whatever parts of the film aren't focusing on Guiness and his surroundings, shoot a few more scenes that better flesh out his arc once the bridge-building begins in earnest, and move back and forth between the two plotlines with a bit more finesse. Now that would be a masterpiece.

Here I am, the asshole who's presuming to tell Bridge on the River Kwai what it got wrong. But it's because I love the parts it nails so perfectly that I'm disappointed in the rest.

Last edited by Abbie (2016-08-31 23:55:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm.

I second.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Dang. Shame.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just watched Bourne, the stakes were certainly too low. The problem with Bourne is he has no relationships with anyone, they tried to force a relationship with his father here which just doesn't come close to working. They are not prepared to let the character grow and move on so we just go round in circles as Bourne outsmarts various CIA cliches film after film.

The first three films tied into what was in the zeitgeist at the time in terms of surveillance culture which turned out to have some grounding with the Snowdon documents and Wikileaks however, this film only uses them as touchstones and not actual plot points, it really wants to have something to say but simply doesn't.

I can't quite believe this is Greengrass as it feels like another director coming in to do the sequel. (Don't get me wrong, it's better than the Jeremy Renner one that I only got half an hour into.)

The first film is a nice piece of cinema, the second is an abomination against narrative structure and then the third one wraps things up pretty nicely.

I'm not saying that I expect every mainstream film to have a message but occasionally they do and can put a light on things that are happening in the world and in doing so raise their game, this film started to do that and then just didn't bother.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I could have done something else.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My favourite moment of bad tech was the CIA trying to stop someone hacking into a server they could have simply turned off, quickly followed by the hacker trying to cover their tracks by... setting the monitor on fire.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

With each passing week I am less and less disappointed that I missed that movie.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

My wife and I are going to see Sully tonight. We'll see how that goes.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9yR6SXAsICEMPTSdGkb57DJ62JsTg6S5fdQvnPngAhBD7AuYv

Great movie. Teague having gotten me interested in ATC stuff, it was cool to see this. Would've liked a little bit more of the technical stuff, but that's probably just me. The human side was the focus, and it was well done.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw this too, enjoyed it greatly. I'd be surprised if the NTSB were actually as dickish as the movie makes them out to be.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm sure there was some dramatisation smile I appreciated they calmed down and showed respect when it became clear what went down.

Went down. Heh.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I really want to watch Sully. Last movie I watched was About Time which I really was surprised with. I mean, I've been angry for a good while thinking that I came up with the title [About Time] -- perhaps a zeitgeist thing. It was good. I can't really elaborate further, not knowing much about story telling and such the like, but, letting the film wash over me was wonderful. A little too sentimental for my liking, but, good.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, "Sully" was a good watch.  Nothing special - but interesting structure to it.  Awful cinematography.  I had listened to the original ATC recording at work at some point before seeing the movie (and also the three hours of 9/11 recordings, which are fascinating, just to hear how bad information distorts and spreads so quickly when there's no time to confirm things).  Definitely felt like the last few minutes of "Sully" ham-fisted the audience. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/The_Light_Between_Oceans_poster.jpg

Really surprised "The Light Between Oceans" has kinda come and (nearly) gone without a whimper.  It floored Matt (Lank) and I (he cried like a little bitch).  Could easily be in my top three, if not the best film of the year.  Really intricate and complicated drama going on here.

Last edited by Chad Peter (2016-09-13 18:28:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down