Re: Space Nerds

So in about 27 days Elon Musk will reveal his big SpaceX plans for a whole new Mars colonisation architecture, with new rockets. Could be very exciting stuff.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Prediction: concept art will reveal his colony to look vaguely like a dick and balls.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm just excited for the first re-use of a Falcon 9 first stage, but hey, if good ol' Elon has some new holy-shit-mankind-is-awesome stuff to shoot at us, really, by all means, Musky, bring it on.

Last edited by Saniss (2016-09-02 10:56:55)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was worried the exploding Falcon yesterday was the reused one, but apparently not.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, the refurb is going to be used for SCS-10 in October.

This one was carrying a Facebook Internet.org satellite so I think it's a deliberate act of sabotage in the summer blockbuster spy movie vein.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Looks like NASA is building a TARDIS...

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/201 … -to-launch

Solar Probe... whatever. I'm on to you NASA.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Musk’s Mars moment: Audacity, madness, brilliance—or maybe all three

Great and thorough article on Elon Musk's recent unveiling of his plan to colonize Mars - some interesting points that put a few things in perspective and raise questions for the future.

Last edited by Saniss (2016-09-29 09:43:49)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm fascinated by Musk's plans, but his ambition is incredible. I look forward to reading more.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Meanwhile, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg:

“I’m convinced the first person to step foot on Mars will arrive there riding a Boeing rocket.”

http://jalopnik.com/boeing-calls-out-sp … 1787458653

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Godspeed, Boeing.

Godspeed all of 'em.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I wonder just how much Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building can withstand hurricane conditions. Matthew is expected to hit Cap Canaveral directly today.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I never even thought about that. I know Disney World has closed, and for only the fourth time, because of hurricane Matthew.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think they built it to withstand winds; more worrying is the encroaching sea because of sea level rise. They're right there.

*checks for link*

Whoo boy, actually I guess I was wrong. Reading this now, but also linked from here is, "The Biggest Threat to NASA's Future is the Ocean".

http://gizmodo.com/hurricane-matthew-is … 1787471900

Things are apparently okay so far:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuK-zN0WEAE-U9d.jpg

Matthew's eye wall passed Cape Canaveral a bit more offshore than expected, which considerably lessened damage concerns.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I lived in Florida, my girlfriend at the time lived in a place called Satellite Beach, which is just a few miles south of Cape Canaveral. Whenever I'd go visit her, I'd take the long way home (already a long drive to and from Orlando, which is dead-center between the coasts) and drive past the VAB just to see it.

This anecdote doesn't really connect to anything, just sumthin' I think about when Canaveral comes up.

Also, Canaveral is extracted from "caña veral," basically "cane field;" sugar cane used to grow there.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If I don't get to watch a rocket launch IRL in the next 5 years, I'm gonna kill someone.

Probably Teague "I visited SpaceX" Chrystie.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

One time in Orlando, driving east at night, I saw a very confusing thing: this oddly bright, oddly slow, upward moving flashing dot. First thought was firework, second thought was helicopter, third thought was a shooting star approaching me at a foreshortened angle. It took me fifteen seconds to figure out I was watching a rocket launch from a hundred miles away.

It happened again a few months later.

It breaks your brain a little bit, especially out of context.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Hell, I've had people come to the astronomy center I used to work at from the village nearby, telling us they had witnessed UFOs. Turned out it was the french Air Force practising for Bastille Day's parade. Can't imagine what a rocket launch would do to these people.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I feel ever since the great brain drain, the only sort of national pride/foray for a Brit, into space exploration has been the Beagles (one of which, not a good example) and Tim Peake. And that makes me sad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I'd be in with the people from that village.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Hell, I've had people come to the astronomy center I used to work at from the village nearby, telling us they had witnessed UFOs. Turned out it was the french Air Force practising for Bastille Day's parade. Can't imagine what a rocket launch would do to these people.

"Well as a matter of fact, sir, what you saw was a spaceship."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anyone been watching the National Geographic Mars series?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I haven't been able to yet, but it looks like my jam. I'll check it out before too long.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't know there was such a thing, but I'mma find out.

Like Lorraine Baines. You know what I'm sayin'?

http://i.imgur.com/zmf3M9w.png

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down