Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

Invid wrote:

As always, if you don't like Doctor Who, come back in three years. Everyone in front and behind the camera will be different.

Praise be to all-powerful Athiesmo!  Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who.  He's being replaced by one Chris Chibnall.

[The fine print:  it's not until the end of next season, and none of the previous Doctor Who episodes that he's written ring any bells with me (42, The Hungry Earth, Cold Blood, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Power of Three), meaning that, when I was catching up, they must have been among the ones I skipped over because the internet told me they sucked.]

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty much all of the episodes are actually quite interesting, I believe they are all in Smith's run. (42 is Martha/Tennant, and I remember almost nothing from my watch through of that era, so no help there) The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood are the Silurian introduction 2-parter which I enjoyed. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship I remember being a lot of fun but definitely not the strongest Who. And the Power of Three is the one with all the little cubes that slowly start appearing, which I think I actually really really liked.

So they definitely aren't SPECTACULAR Who, but there's also nothing in there that's truly offensive. But the thing that does give me hope, is that Chibnall was head writer on the first 2 season run of Torchwood, and there's A LOT of that that I really really love. And according to a couple people I know Broadchurch is like the second coming of Christ or something, so that bodes well for him.

Then again...Moffatt also made Sherlock. So who the hell knows what anything means anymore.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Chibnall is the guy who was in charge of the first two years of Torchwood.

Make of that what you will.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

BDA has it right, who knows? Moffat did a lot of terrible things with DW but also brilliant ones with Sherlock, and Chibnall may have done terrible things with Torchwood (I wouldn't know) but I can confirm that Broadchurch (S1 at least, haven't seen S2) was exceptional.

I think it all comes down to who they work with, because a show certainly isn't a single man's doing. We'll see what kind of alchemy the new team can create.

(and you'll be the ones to tell me that, because I still haven't picked up DW since Kill the Moon and I'm not taking any chances)

Last edited by Saniss (2016-01-25 15:19:07)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I haven't seen any of the new doctor's episodes, and have no opinion of the new guy. But, please, for the love of all that is both holy and profane, let the new producer do an episode with Susan while the original actress is still around. It's my only real "wish" for the show.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only 2016 installment finally aired.

SPOILER Show
The rumors got me worried that Who tries to stay "relevant" by exploiting the superhero movie craze, but the actual episode felt more like an affectionate homage to the genre.

What I liked most about the special is the lack of Christmas nostalgia that was a little overplayed in some of the previous ones.

Overall, "The Return Of Doctor Mysterio" was OK, but not mindblowing.

Any thoughts?

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

Chibnall is the guy who was in charge of the first two years of Torchwood.

Make of that what you will.

Stuff gets weird (even by DW's standards)?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My shortlist to be the new Doctor...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3lTIMuWMAAshbq.jpg:large

1. Brian Blessed
2. Helena Bonham Carter
3. Hugh Laurie - Stephen Fry (either/or)
4. Borris Johnson
5. Will Self
6. Sir Ian Mckellen

With an All-American flavoured shortlist...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3lCxMMWYAIAgdm.jpg:large

1. Shia Labeouf
2. Angela Lansbury
3. Paul Reubens
4. NIC CAGE!!!
5. Ellen
6. Bill Murray

(some chosen, perhaps, just for their 'in bizzarro-land I would like to see' qualities)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love that Susan Calman put herself forward. It would be great for Doctor Who, less so for Calman seeing as the show is has been stuck at moderate to wank for the last several years.

Moderate to Wank will be my seventh album.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Susan Calman thrown her hat in the ring many RHLSTP's ago, I was in total agreement of it—I just offered more options.

*going back to watch the Capaldi seasons where I gave up*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regan wrote:

Susan Calman thrown her hat in the ring many RHLSTP's ago,

RHLSTP /Audience

Teague wrote:

Moderate to Wank will be my seventh album.

Thank you for confirming a second album is imminent!

Last edited by Faldor (2017-02-02 13:25:57)

I'm sticking to my pitch from before Capaldi; Rupert Grint.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh. I could see that working.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On the subject of Weasley actors, how about the guys who played Fred and George? I think they "fit" the doctor a little bit better, and you could do a lot of fun things with two guys who look the same.

Get twice as much principle photography done in the same time, too ;P

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be quite happy with Eddie Redmayne playing the Doctor, they could even get that platypus back to be his companion.

I've been down on the series the last couple of years whilst I found both Smith and Capaldi were both great in the role the scripts have the most part left much to be desired.

Recently gone back and have been watching series two which is the first time I've watched Tennant since his regeneration. One thing the show has really lost is the sense of fun that the Doctor has on his adventures.

At the time I found Rose quite annoying because she was a bit of a chav but looking back I find her a much stronger character than many recent companions. Her council estate life is actually much more grounded than Amy Ponds perfect English village which fits in much better to The Famous Five than Doctor Who or Clara who went from working as an au pair to a  fully qualified teacher without any extra training.

This is even got me a little bit excited for the new episode this evening will see how it holds up.

Faldor wrote:

This is even got me a little bit excited for the new episode this evening will see how it holds up.

Pssst...it's next week.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Queefward wrote:

Pssst...it's next week.

So is Easter, it turns out!

Your mom's next week.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The new episode was actually pretty good. I'm not sure how to process that.

Faldor wrote:

Aarrggghh.  Dammit, Faldor, don't do this to me again this season!  tongue  Just when I'd gotten to Stage 5, Acceptance, in the Doctor Who Grief Cycle. 

This is gonna set me back to at least Stage 3, Bargaining.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:
Faldor wrote:

Aarrggghh.  Dammit, Faldor, don't do this to me again this season!  tongue  Just when I'd gotten to Stage 5, Acceptance, in the Doctor Who Grief Cycle. 

This is gonna set me back to at least Stage 3, Bargaining.

It's like a regeneration.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't see liking an episode about, presumably, emojibots coming, but it was rather great.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm actually quite surprised the 13th Doctor announcement wait is almost over. If the bookies are to be believed it will be the brain dead goof ball from My Family - Chris Marshall. Hmm. I haven't seen him in anything other than that. I can see it working if I squint hard enough. But I hope it's a lady. I think now is the right time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Chris Marshall is exactly who I don't want to be cast. The person who is known as being a bit quirky, therefore "would be a good Dr Who"

To be fair, most people who I think would be good are also people I think are too good to be in Doctor Who. That being said, this show has a remarkable knack for taking relative unknowns and letting them shine. Sure Eccleston had done movies and Capaldi had done swearing.

I just hope they try something different.