Topic: Don't Breathe: a space survival-horror ga--DAMNIT RUN RUN RUN RUN

Link to illustration at bottom

I'm brainstorming a boardgame, here, so feedback--even critical feedback--would be great.
Basically, this game is inspired (heavily) by Alien: Isolation. Since that is far from the first game of its type (just one of the few I've played), I'm not too worried.

Anywho, Don't Breathe (working title) is a game set in a decrepit space station (or ship) wherein a team of people have landed and have to survive long enough to find the pieces to an experimental weapon capable of killing the creature that hunts them.
This is a game where almost everything can hurt you or alert the creature, and even a lot of the actions you take to help will have a bad side effect. Players (up to 4, currently) work together to explore the station, not die, and kill the beast before it kills them.

Play will start in the hangar, and players can choose which direction to go (the creature will find you much quicker if you stay together, but splitting up obviously makes you vulnerable).
The station is revealed as players choose which direction to move from each room (through any available door), and draw room tiles from a shuffled pile. Players can place a new room tile in any rotation, provided an opening from the new room lines up with the door they came through.
If a room placement comes up hard against a previously explored part of the station, so that an opening in the new room is against a wall on another tile, that becomes a window, which can be broken to make a passage, but will make a lot of noise.

Players will draw from a deck of cards (possibly more than one) to discover what is in the room. Whether it has a fixture or equipment, and whether a terrible hazard awaits them.

Most things a player does (and most hazards) will generate noise, which will raise the Creature's alertness level until, once it fills up, it spawns from the Vent closest to the most recently generated noise (marked by a black token of some kind). It will then follow a specific set of "AI" rules that govern its behavior: following new noises, possibly picking up scents, and going berserk and chasing down a bleeding player if it picks up the sanguine trail. Bleeding players will leave a trail of red tokens (probably tiddly-winks) until they can bandage themselves. If they run out of winks, they bleed out.

If the creature comes into the room with a player, they DO have a chance to hide (their only option) but it will be dicey. This is where the title comes from.

Players will want to avoid spawning the creature as much as possible for as long as possible, but once it is spawned it will be extremely difficult to make it leave and go back on the alert meter. they will have to work together to outthink the monster, causing distractions with limited resources, not dying, not getting killed, not getting mortified, not being murdered, and not passing away.

Once all the pieces of the weapon are found, players must reunite and prepare for the final fight. I'm not sure how this "third act" is going to play out, but it should require even more strategy and teamwork than the exploration phase did. I've attached a basic illustration to show what the game might look like, with examples of equipment, hazards, room configurations, and player classes. Let me know if you have any ideas, especially for the endgame.

Keep in mind that almost everything will be represented with cards and tokens: I don't want to make this game complicated enough to require keeping track of stats or using a pen (if I can avoid it). Though the dots representing room features will be from dry-erase markers on the glossy tiles.

So does this sound fun?
What do you like so far?
What do you not like so far?
What could make it awesome?
MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there already a game that's exactly like this out there?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B34wS … GlTLU8wT0E

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-10-02 04:34:50)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Don't Breathe: a space survival-horror ga--DAMNIT RUN RUN RUN RUN

Liking it so far. Especially the trail of blood counters thing.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The game it most reminds me of is Betrayal at House on the Hill. You draw room tiles as you explore, and when a Haunt is triggered - drawing an Omen card, which forces a roll, and if too low, the Omen begins, in a form dictated by the card drawn and the room it was drawn in - is (usually) one player vs. the rest with specific victory conditions of each. I haven't played a scenario exactly what you're describing but there may be one (there are fifty different scenarios and I've only played it a half dozen times or so).

That being said, the flavor of Don't Breathe is a sci-fi space station, not an old haunted house; I love the idea of scent markers and blood trails. Definitely has potential and I'm very interested in playing. If you haven't yet, check out Betrayal and look at how it sets the various Haunt victory conditions. It may give you some ideas.

Last edited by Boter (2015-09-29 21:53:42)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for equipment or hazards, let me know (current ideas are listed on the graphic I linked to)

Boter I'd not heard of that game. Sounds interesting. Hopefully Don't Breathe isn't too similar.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-09-30 01:39:49)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Incidentally, I came up with the idea that if the monster enters your room, you would have to hide by holding your breath until rolling a difficult number (via a pair of d6). If you fail, the creature finds you.
Alternately, if holding your breath is dangerous for some reason, you could just use a short timer

Hence the title.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trawling through old Creation threads, still think this has potential. After Hyacinth, you want to powwow and see if we can expand on the idea? In the prototyping stages it can still be played with the Betrayal tile set, making playtesting relatively easy.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm game, though I've been brainstorming on this in the meantime and it's quite a different beast.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down