Re: #33 - The People vs. The People vs. George Lucas

He likes meritocratic storylines where common people collaborate and solve their own problems without the legitimacy of birthright, aristocracies, predestination messiahs, etc.

brian

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Matt Vayda wrote:

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, but I keep forgetting.

For a genuine, but humorous take on Star Wars in a courtroom scenario, check out Star Wars on Trial.

Basically a bunch of authors and essayists (many of whom have authored Star Wars related material) got together, chose topics to debate, and presented an argument for and against each, including opening and closing statements.

Thanks for the tip. Bought the book and am reading David Brin's accusation now - that Star Wars is more backward-looking medieval fantasy, rather than science fiction. He doesn't go for all this Princess, Queen, chosen one, destiny, prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the force, stuff. He likes meritocratic storylines where common people collaborate and solve their own problems without the legitimacy of birthright, aristocracies, predestination messiahs, etc.

I have mixed feelings toward this book. Many insightful arguments are made, and there are some genuinely humorous moments, but Brin and co. spew such vitriol against the films. Not just "The Prequels Suck" vitriol—that's the good kind tongue—but hatred toward any kind of heroic fantasy archetypes whatsoever (Brin hates Luke Skywalker and The Lord of the Rings in particular). Brin and some of his witnesses come off as foaming-at-the-mouth rage beasts much of the time. As the defendant, Matthew Stover, notes at the end, all of the witnesses for the defense seem to be just enjoying themselves and having fun, whereas the prosecution seems genuinely enraged that Star Wars is successful. It's rather baffling, and rather pathetic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rrrrrRRRRRAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/the-peop … is-coming/

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks for the tip. Bought the book and am reading David Brin's accusation now - that Star Wars is more backward-looking medieval fantasy, rather than science fiction. He doesn't go for all this Princess, Queen, chosen one, destiny, prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the force, stuff. He likes meritocratic storylines where common people collaborate and solve their own problems without the legitimacy of birthright, aristocracies, predestination messiahs, etc.

Usurper; blood right

On a serious note though, I thought aside from those odd few, confused commie comments that are immediately followed up with other interviewees supporting artistic freedom, I thought this documentary was pretty swell and the opinions voiced pretty reasonable I think.

Sure it had a tendency towards fluff, and yes the "we still love you George" ending was indeed milquetoast, but overall it was quite decent - even all the Jar Jar comments, they weren't really bitching and whining as much as kind of analyzing and explaining what they didn't like about that sort of humor, and some other aspects of these movies.

I don't think Lucas could really point towards this documentary as a demonstration of how irrational his critics are, unless he cherrypicked those few stupid remarks - he'd have a much easier time with RLM or Confused Matthew if he wanted to do something like that;

with that said, Lucas is a highly unreasonable party himself and lacks credibility, so it probably doesn't matter too much either way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lucas is a highly unreasonable party himself

Huh. Never thought about it that way.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some of the assertions he makes can't always be verified.

Thumbs up Thumbs down