Topic: You're Docked For A Month. Plan Your Next Move

Hey all. With tomorrow being the Super Bowl, people having plans (related or unrelated), and me being gone next week, we're going to have another few weeks off from playing live. So let's do this.

You guys come up with a plan. What do you want to do? Where do you want to go? In the coming week, I'll be able to answer questions that you would need to figuring things out. You'll make a roadmap for your fleet and start acting like military officers, getting ahead of the game and taking control, instead of always being reactionary.

It will take a month for the Sunry to be fully recommissioned, and another week per ship after that for repairs to the Event Horizon and Spirit of the Drill. You have a month and a half to make a game plan.

Pop in when you can, make sure you let people know that don't visit the forums too often. I leave town next Saturday, and will be available until then to get you background info. I return the following Friday and can let you know then or Saturday the results of any fact-finding missions you try to undertake.

Yup - any small mission that *should* go off without a hitch, I'll have you do a simple skill roll on. Then when I get back I can get my materials together and have a well planned session, for once.

Well? Get planning!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: You're Docked For A Month. Plan Your Next Move

This tone is not present in the post itself, but it's just really fun for me to imagine Boter doing this in front of a giant flag like Patton.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

So, I think what we really need to do is some heavy recruiting. Our ragtag company is running low and if we're going to do some more capturing we need some proper boarding parties. I believe that getting both ships up to proper crew strength should be priority one.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds reasonable. What are some ways you want to try recruiting?

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

We need people who can be officers and can train people up, so we need to look for an opportunity to recruit a bunch of ex military types. We also need to find a way to establish a steady supply of new recruits so we can keep training people up for replacements and expansions. Any ideas?

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*nodding slowly*

We need to start a band.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yes. I roll to start a band. This is a charisma check, I assume?

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, intelligence, like persuasion.

18!

For real though guys, do we just go raiding vet retirement homes, or what? Maybe we can invest in cloning tech...

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For the record, participation in this thread will get you Rep, and by the next session I'll have some sort of conversion chart to turn Rep into character stats, as opposed to just being able to use it to upgrade your ship.

Alright Shadow, looks like just you. Put together a plan and I'll have you make a few rolls.

So, I need to make some contacts. People who know people who can get me the right people. I want to put some feelers out and find at least one person can recruit me some skilled personnel, and several people who can get me new recruits in general.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Because of how things may shake out for BDA, I'll NPC him a bit through here.

Hawkins has a few ideas; in searching for different conspiracy groups for the Ticonderoga disappearance, I found some less-whackjob groups that might be worth surreptitiously checking out that might be good for recruitment bases.

As for you, make up a couple of contacts and tell me who they are. (Informal version of Shadowrun's contact thing here.) Then I'll see what they can get for you.

Anton Clay

Noah and Anton met while they were both serving a "punishment tour" on the supply ship Troglodyte. Both of them had been busted for minor insubordination and their similar attitudes lead to friendship. While they were always the prime suspects for any practical joke or prank, they were never actually caught doing anything. After their tour Noah went back to combat ships while Anton, having displayed a genuine skill for logistics, stayed in the supply branch. He moved up the ranks for a while until his disdain for higher command caught up to him and it was suggested to him that he might want to muster out. He then built a business for himself recruiting and headhunting for paramilitary organizations (and anyone else looking for hardened professionals). He and Noah have traded favors before, and it might be time to call him back up again.

Saanvi Pandey

Hate this backwater planet and would rather be literally anywhere else, if you could afford it? Well, Saanvi is the woman for you. Sign a contract, board a ship, and soon you will find yourself somewhere else, so long as you're not picky about where that somewhere is. You'll even be gainfully employed, which is good because you now owe Saanvi a rather large chunk of money. While not technically indentured servitude, it skirts the line and draws extra attention. While assigned to a patrol ship, Noah has inspected more than a few of her ships. Maybe it's time to make use of her services.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You give Anton a call. You haven't kept in close enough touch that he knew you were on a thought-to-be-destroyed ship (though news and rumors of the Ticonderoga's return are spreading quickly), so there's no uncomfortable, "I thought you were dead!" He's only a little surprised that you're no longer with the military, and marvels that crusty ol' Owens is working on recruiting. Thought you liked stuff you could get away with smacking with a wrench; obviously doesn't know how the mutiny went down. He asks you to provide a short description and mission statement of your group that he can use while pitching it during recruiting.

Saanvi doesn't recognize you by name nor reputation, and you decide to keep your military background out of sight for now. Frankly she doesn't ask many questions at all - just how many people and where should she send them. She also notes a somewhat hefty finder's fee - it's clear that she's charging with both hands to maximize profits.

Hawkins meanwhile found a good lead on an old industrial world and would like to head out there. None of the ships in the fleet are ready to fly quite yet, so you'd be chartering a ride from someone else at the station. There are plenty of options.

Can I use my high Intelligence and Keenness scores to write something that'll get me the people I need without actually saying anything illegal or that would bring tons of spies and attention down on my head?

I expected as much from Saanvi, but perhaps we can work out some kind of deal where we can do a favor for her in exchange for a discount.

I'm willing to go check it out. I tell him to book some transport and arrange the rest of an away team.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anton: You can. It's a very tough line to toe and you feel of you err too far on the side of caution, some of the people you hire on, once they find out the true nature of the post, will defect and could be a liability. (Write as well as you like but if they take it at face value, that's not necessarily your fault.) Let me know if you'd rather err on the side of caution or on an honest telling of the position.

Saanvi: "I don't deal in favors, I deal in people." She's a lot less sweet on this side of the law. By the end of your meeting with her you're certain that if you were still in the military you would have enough material to put her away for five lifetimes. She mentions the possibility of deferred payment, assuming that the hired help is to get you money in the first place, and is willing to offer a loan on her services. Naturally, it's high-interest.

A smuggler at the station owns an old Broadsword troop transport. His rate is low, since you're not going through anywhere fortified, just the jump gate system. Hawkins turns out his pockets and shakes out the couch cushions, and manages to get it together. He heads out with his away team - a couple original crew and a few of the mercenaries.