Topic: Oscars 2017

Does anyone give a flying fuck?

Anyone have any horses in the race? Predictions? Who woz snubbed? Comments on the Razzies? Not enough vs too much diversity? Obvious Oscar baits?

It's a lame year.

As a prank, Best Cinematography should go to Chivo again (who isn't even nominated this year) just to see the reactions of the others.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Oscars 2017

At this point I'm watching solely because I need to see La La Land get beaten by Moonlight for Best Director (I'm resigned to the inferior film winning Best Picture), Manchester by the Sea for Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay, and Jackie for Best Actress and Original Score. I'm already irritated that it got fourteen nominations, but fourteen undeserved wins will have me actually seething. Which is a shame, because I liked the movie well enough even in spite of its bland songs and the stupid "Fusion isn't real jazz!" subplot.

Also, the fact that Silence was almost universally shut out is mind boggling. I can see why Scorsese is doing his next picture with Netflix, who needs this bullshit.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-02-25 17:31:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When Moana loses for song, I will not be furious at La La Land.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

^ If La La Land has to win, it had better at least be for "Audition" and not fucking "City of Stars".

Last edited by Abbie (2017-02-25 19:55:27)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like the bookies are giving 8:1 odds for City of Stars, and a tied 1:8 for Audition and How Far I'll Go.

1. They don't know what happens in the future, who knows what happens in the future?

2. Zero hope.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Obvious Oscar baits?

You can't get more obvious than La La Land (as I mentioned in my rant a month ago).

8 nominations for Arrival is a chance for the sci-fi genre to get its foot in the door again. Unfortunately, it's probably the melodrama aspect of this movie that got the Academy's attention (more typical sci-fi/fantasy stuff pretty rarely gets out of the genre ghetto). It still doesn't stand much chance of winning for Best Picture or Best Director IMHO sad

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm out of the game at this point, but if someone wants to do some research and figure out how many of the definitely-sci-fi movies that have gotten a solid showing at the Oscars relied on Unnecessary Emotional Horseshit as a plot point, that may be interesting.

...Murph.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://uruniverse.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/0/3/48036469/murph_orig.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4xee2P4.png

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Does anyone give a flying fuck?

http://media.giphy.com/media/CUutk6fwGgkIE/giphy.gif

This has been the sum total of what I have to add to this thread. Good day sirs.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

SUICIDE SQUAD and FANTASTIC BEASTS now have more Oscars than THE WITCH, CAROL, and David Lynch. Fuck me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't do anything drastic, Teague.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT JUST HAPPENED MOONLIGHT YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTaRDS

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"the dolby theater will be radiating awkward for 200 years" — cloe

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

One lousy technical Oscar for Arrival. Star Trek Beyond lost to Suicide Squad.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/72436535.jpg

On the bright side, Zootopia won and the Best Picture announcement almost turned into The Naked Gun 33 1/3  lol

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Oscars are kind of a joke. It's an elite class of people that have specific tastes in movies and I don't buy into the fiction that the general public should give a shit what they think. A lot of you guys like the kinds of movies that the Academy does, and that's fine, but I and many others do not.

Am I glad that Jungle Book got VFX? Quite. But it's still a party that Hollywood throws for itself that it tells everybody else they should care about.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

The Oscars are kind of a joke. It's an elite class of people that have specific tastes in movies and I don't buy into the fiction that the general public should give a shit what they think. A lot of you guys like the kinds of movies that the Academy does, and that's fine, but I and many others do not.

Am I glad that Jungle Book got VFX? Quite. But it's still a party that Hollywood throws for itself that it tells everybody else they should care about.

That's my feeling as well. Being on the outside of that world makes it difficult to really appreciate all the goings on that make it all happen.

So, it's hard for me to feel that these awards are important because they rarely line up with the films I enjoy. I mean, I understand recognition and the hard work that goes in to the films, but it's still not for me.

However, congratulations to all the winners.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I found that the best way to handle [filmmakers] was to hang medals all over them. … If I got them cups and awards, they’d kill themselves to produce what I wanted. That’s why the Academy Award was created.

— Louie B. Mayer

http://i.imgur.com/TFIyYdq.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

A pat on the back to all who deserve it, I'm in favour of... the pompous ceremony though, is not needed.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But what is Hollywood without a bit of sociopathic back patting.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regan wrote:

... the pompous ceremony though, is not needed.

That's why they don't just have one pompous ceremony, but an entire season of them.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down