Topic: New Demo Reel that needs your feedback

Hi all,

I'm attempting to re enter the job market. I've created a new demo reel that's intended to reach creative agencies in the marketing circuit.

I really want to make sure it's as good as it can be from an editing standpoint. If you have a bit, go to www.evansprague.com and watch it on the front page. Give me your likes and dislikes. What do you like about it? Why? What do you think needs work? Why? Feel free to shred the content, but the content is what I've got.

Thanks in advance!

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Re: New Demo Reel that needs your feedback

My main note on this is the music. It feels very loud and distracting, and doesn't feel like it fits the overall mood of the piece. Graphics are smooth, and definitely got my attention, but the music felt out of step.

Hope that helps.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Great feedback! Thanks!

EDIT: I'm sad to say because I like the energy in that song but I think I whole-heartedly agree. Not that I didn't before, but the more I listen back the more I hear what you're saying. I think the music is dominating the reel too much. Also because it's a well-known song, so the reel sort of becomes a music video. I've started searching for stock music that is a bit more out-of-the-way. Still upbeat, but no vocals and doesn't take over the edit. Sometimes, after staring at an edit 5,000 times, it can be hard to make objective decisions and I need outside feedback to give me a nudge.

Thanks again for your feedback, that's exactly the kind that I'm looking for. Better to hear that kind of stuff now than for an agency art director to think it, shut it off and never call me back. Also, I've been cautioned against using copyrighted music for my reel, so I've always been on the fence about using one.

Last edited by Kibouchi (2017-04-10 04:34:46)

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

The music wasn't an issue for me. I think this is a fairly awesome reel, to be honest. Editorially solid, slick. I feel like it might benefit from one or two more VFX shots to break up the (borderline repetitive) mograph stuff, but that's more to do with what kind of work you're looking for, I guess.

S'coo as hell.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting! And thanks for the kind words.

I do have other vfx shots (more than just screen replacements) but was trying to keep all vfx somewhat related to mograph (which is my calling card). I may try putting them in and see how they fair.

Great feedback guys, all being taken into consideration.