Re: Last movie you watched

Did you expound on your Grizzlies elsewhere that I missed? If not, care to share?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Grizzly Man was OK, but the characters were flat, one-note nobodies... All those random bears just show up and I didn't give a shit about them at all...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not? Treadwell as presented in the film is wholly compelling to me. And you're not necessarily supposed to care about the bears as individuals--the whole point Herzog is making is that where Treadwell sees personality he sees indifference and chaos. We get plenty of "Nature is friendly and fun!" perspective from Treadwell's interactions with the foxes and such, but there's no way to present the bears as anything other than terrifying IMO. It's impossible as a human being to feel anything but panic whenever Treadwell gets close to one of them.

EDIT: Oooooooooooh I get it.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-04-09 00:06:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This thread is such a glorious clusterfuck.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

He's kidding. And it gave me a good chuckle, Squigs! +1

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, sorry, I've kinda gotten burned out on talking about SW on the Internet so I'd been skimming the R1 posts. Retroactive humor appreciation!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DarthPraxus wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I've kinda gotten burned out on talking about SW on the Internet so I'd been skimming the R1 posts. Retroactive humor appreciation!

http://i.imgur.com/9Ay834v.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I tend to take things too seriously.

Grizzly Man is one I've never had the balls to watch. I dunno if its in the movie or not, but there's some video I saw of Herzog listening to the audio of Treadwell's death, and even though you couldn't hear it, you could see it on his face that he was completely disturbed by it to the point of looking like he was becoming kinda faint, and he apparently recommended that they destroy the tape.

I didn't want to watch the movie after that, even though it's not actually in the movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Your Name:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Your_Name_poster.png

Directed by Makoto Shinkai, who did "5cm Per Second" and "Voices Of A Distant Star" and other pretty decent flicks. All of his previous work have been these flawed masterpieces, where the concepts were fantastic and mostly well-done, but with some little bothersome things that always left me feeling like they were lacking something.

5cm Per Second in particular is cut up into three parts, where the first part is one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of watching, the second part is pretty good, and the third part is pretty much unwatchable. I still bought it, tho, purely because that first chunk of the movie is so absolutely fantastic.

Your Name, however, is right up there. I won't really go into the plot much, as I really don't want to spoil anything for those who want to see it. I'd read the plot summaries and seen the trailers, but the film caught me off guard with what exactly it was doing. The plot is pretty fucking clever and does some neat stuff.

The characters are also pretty decent, though I felt like you learn a lot more about the female lead than you do about the male, but I think that ends up working in the film's favor later on, so I don't know if I can really give it any points off for that lack of balance. The only other mildly negative thing I could say about it is that the film is almost entirely without a soundtrack. There are a few J-pop songs in some scenes, but a lot of the film plays with just whatever ambient noise is in the background. Not sure if a more traditional score would have been an improvement, but I guess if you've ever wanted to have some scenes to practice writing a score for, now you've got most of a movie you could do tongue

It's a pretty great flick, tho, and if you're into anime (especially something like Whispers of the Heart or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or any of Makoto Shinkai's other stuff) or you're a sucker for a good romantic flick it's definitely worth a watch.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2017-04-10 03:57:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://s3.birthmoviesdeath.com/images/made/FREE_FIRE_1200x1600-680x907_1200_1601_81_s.jpg

Reservoir Dogs on coke, and with one hell of a sense of humor. This one's a fucking blast to watch with an audience.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-04-18 03:27:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been waiting for that all year. I only hope it gets a wide enough release to show up in the theaters here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down