Re: Last movie you watched

Did you expound on your Grizzlies elsewhere that I missed? If not, care to share?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Grizzly Man was OK, but the characters were flat, one-note nobodies... All those random bears just show up and I didn't give a shit about them at all...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not? Treadwell as presented in the film is wholly compelling to me. And you're not necessarily supposed to care about the bears as individuals--the whole point Herzog is making is that where Treadwell sees personality he sees indifference and chaos. We get plenty of "Nature is friendly and fun!" perspective from Treadwell's interactions with the foxes and such, but there's no way to present the bears as anything other than terrifying IMO. It's impossible as a human being to feel anything but panic whenever Treadwell gets close to one of them.

EDIT: Oooooooooooh I get it.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-04-09 00:06:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This thread is such a glorious clusterfuck.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

He's kidding. And it gave me a good chuckle, Squigs! +1

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, sorry, I've kinda gotten burned out on talking about SW on the Internet so I'd been skimming the R1 posts. Retroactive humor appreciation!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DarthPraxus wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I've kinda gotten burned out on talking about SW on the Internet so I'd been skimming the R1 posts. Retroactive humor appreciation!

http://i.imgur.com/9Ay834v.gif

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I tend to take things too seriously.

Grizzly Man is one I've never had the balls to watch. I dunno if its in the movie or not, but there's some video I saw of Herzog listening to the audio of Treadwell's death, and even though you couldn't hear it, you could see it on his face that he was completely disturbed by it to the point of looking like he was becoming kinda faint, and he apparently recommended that they destroy the tape.

I didn't want to watch the movie after that, even though it's not actually in the movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Your Name:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Your_Name_poster.png

Directed by Makoto Shinkai, who did "5cm Per Second" and "Voices Of A Distant Star" and other pretty decent flicks. All of his previous work have been these flawed masterpieces, where the concepts were fantastic and mostly well-done, but with some little bothersome things that always left me feeling like they were lacking something.

5cm Per Second in particular is cut up into three parts, where the first part is one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of watching, the second part is pretty good, and the third part is pretty much unwatchable. I still bought it, tho, purely because that first chunk of the movie is so absolutely fantastic.

Your Name, however, is right up there. I won't really go into the plot much, as I really don't want to spoil anything for those who want to see it. I'd read the plot summaries and seen the trailers, but the film caught me off guard with what exactly it was doing. The plot is pretty fucking clever and does some neat stuff.

The characters are also pretty decent, though I felt like you learn a lot more about the female lead than you do about the male, but I think that ends up working in the film's favor later on, so I don't know if I can really give it any points off for that lack of balance. The only other mildly negative thing I could say about it is that the film is almost entirely without a soundtrack. There are a few J-pop songs in some scenes, but a lot of the film plays with just whatever ambient noise is in the background. Not sure if a more traditional score would have been an improvement, but I guess if you've ever wanted to have some scenes to practice writing a score for, now you've got most of a movie you could do tongue

It's a pretty great flick, tho, and if you're into anime (especially something like Whispers of the Heart or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or any of Makoto Shinkai's other stuff) or you're a sucker for a good romantic flick it's definitely worth a watch.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2017-04-10 03:57:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://s3.birthmoviesdeath.com/images/made/FREE_FIRE_1200x1600-680x907_1200_1601_81_s.jpg

Reservoir Dogs on coke, and with one hell of a sense of humor. This one's a fucking blast to watch with an audience.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-04-18 03:27:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been waiting for that all year. I only hope it gets a wide enough release to show up in the theaters here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Hacksaw Ridge" is on Netflix. I was honestly reluctant to watch it because I figured it would be another "based on true events" war slog that would not be a good movie.

You heard it here first folks-I was wrong. This film is a decent film in terms of pacing, character development, as well as build up to the titular event. I truly enjoyed the characters, and there are only a couple that I would say are not not 3-dimensional.

It's not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, as it is very graphic in terms of the violence, and deals with alcoholism, PTSD and religious faith. But, I was impressed by the overall characters and story.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh.

You just moved it from my "nah" to my "depending on my mood" list. Thanks.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My wife watched it, and I was in the "nah" category as well. But, the characters are what drove it home for me, and I got hooked in real fast. You don't even get to the battle until an hour, or something like that.

Also, Hugo Weaving.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Alien_Covenant_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Turns out Ridley Scott actually listens to criticism.

SPOILER Show
Instead of another pretentious story that asks questions about our origins (and has no clue how to answer them), this time we got a much more straightforward Alien movie. Some plot points from Prometheus are continued, but it's clear that Ridley wanted to push aside its more controversial aspects and go back to Alien's horror roots.

Shaw, the previous film's annoying protagonist, got killed offscreen by David, who's much more interesting to watch. Even the problem of her religious motivation ("it's what I choose to believe") gets mentioned - the company didn't trust Billy Crudup with a command because of his faith. Did the writers actually listen to the DiF commentary?

The David/Walter dynamic must've been inspired by Lore and Data from ST-TNG (John Logan is a fan). The cliché of an evil AI doesn't bother me here - I have no trouble believing that an android with a humanlike psyche and superior intellectual capabilities would've become megalomaniacal. Fassbender's double performance is easily the most interesting one in the movie.

Unfortunately, the other characters don't get much development - their main purpose is to become xenomorph fodder. They're even more reckless than the Prometheus crew; when will they learns that sending people to an unknown planet without spacesuits (another Star Trek trope recycled by John Logan) is a bad idea?

Dorkman's remark about the Alien universe becoming smaller in Prometheus is even more applicable here, when it turns out that the facehugger eggs are a result of David's experiments. It is never explained how they got onto the Engineer ship on LV-426.

The visual side is impressive, but we've come to expect that from Ridley Scott.

To sum it up: Covenant is an improvement over Prometheus, but still has issues.

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw Logan.

It's good.

I hate that when I watch a movie that I really like I tend to make little dumb posts like "It's good". I generally tend to only post my problems with movies. I don't really have a problem with Logan, tho. It's a rock solid action flick with a really great story that does all kinds of really interesting and subversive shit. I like the balls it has. I like that they went R-rated, but they didn't just have him curse a few times and have a little blood in one or two scenes. They took the concept and said "you know, if this guy had knives for hands and used them this much, he'd basically just turn you into sushi". Lots of fucking great gore and violence.

Basically I loved everything about it. If you've not seen it, you should.

The bluray comes with a 'noir' version in Black & White. I'll probably check that version out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MartyJ wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Alien_Covenant_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Turns out Ridley Scott actually listens to criticism.

SPOILER Show
Instead of another pretentious story that asks questions about our origins (and has no clue how to answer them), this time we got a much more straightforward Alien movie. Some plot points from Prometheus are continued, but it's clear that Ridley wanted to push aside its more controversial aspects and go back to Alien's horror roots.

Shaw, the previous film's annoying protagonist, got killed offscreen by David, who's much more interesting to watch. Even the problem of her religious motivation ("it's what I choose to believe") gets mentioned - the company didn't trust Billy Crudup with a command because of his faith. Did the writers actually listen to the DiF commentary?

The David/Walter dynamic must've been inspired by Lore and Data from ST-TNG (John Logan is a fan). The cliché of an evil AI doesn't bother me here - I have no trouble believing that an android with a humanlike psyche and superior intellectual capabilities would've become megalomaniacal. Fassbender's double performance is easily the most interesting one in the movie.

Unfortunately, the other characters don't get much development - their main purpose is to become xenomorph fodder. They're even more reckless than the Prometheus crew; when will they learns that sending people to an unknown planet without spacesuits (another Star Trek trope recycled by John Logan) is a bad idea?

Dorkman's remark about the Alien universe becoming smaller in Prometheus is even more applicable here, when it turns out that the facehugger eggs are a result of David's experiments. It is never explained how they got onto the Engineer ship on LV-426.

The visual side is impressive, but we've come to expect that from Ridley Scott.

To sum it up: Covenant is an improvement over Prometheus, but still has issues.

There are worse reasons to get the gang back together, if nothing else, than to gloat that somehow, Sir Ridley Scott listen to them. Telepathy?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw Covenant.

Haven't seen Prometheus.

I feel like I should've watched Prometheus.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Prometheus is a hot mess wrapped in amazing visuals. They're so fucking amazing that the movie had me fooled on my first viewing - I haven't noticed all the stupidity. The DiF commentary really tears Prometheus a new one, it's one of my favorite episodes.

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Even as a Prometheus apologist, Alien: Covenant felt like a massive improvement.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I work at a cinema, which incidentally gives me free access. As such, I've seen a lot lately.

Covenant was the first one I watched, and as stated above; It made me feel like I should watch Prometheus.

Your Name
is a brilliant cartoon/anime. I don't enjoy Anime in general, but this one I did. Fairly free of slapstick/chibi humour, it's a love story about two people who involuntarily swap bodies at random days. It then spirals into something I didn't see coming, and I highly recommend it to anyone who like fairly surprising and deep stories.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Salazar's Revenge/Dead Men Tell No tales
I know what you DiF's think about Pirates. You love the original, hate the sequels.
I'm in a place where I love the original, and part 2 and 3. I couldn't stand the fourth one, but according to several people I know, I'm wrong and should rewatch it.
5, on the other hand, was a pretty good wrap up. It closed several storylines, and opened it up to a new generation. Highly recommended if you like the franchise.

Baywatch
I had absolutely nothing going in. I'd seen the trailer, but had no desire to see it. But it was free, so I went in, and oddly enough, I loved it. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and sets the satirical, parodical bar right from the titles. If you're into stupid comedies with hot chicks, this one's pretty good.

The Mummy
Now, the original series holds a special place in my heart, and I was skeptical towards this one. Not being a reboot, rather just a playground set in the same universe, with little-to-no mention to the originals, it's not that bad. Tom Cruise is excellent as always, and while the story and plot aren't great, it's not simply rehashing the originals, and doing it's own take on it. Sure, it's a bit campy, but it's light hearted, has some good performances(silly Russel Crowe aside, what the fuck was up with that?), and all-in-all is an enjoyable ride. It's not great, but it's not pure shite.

Next up is a series of animated films, Wonder Woman and..... ugh, fucking transformers. Before you give me shit about that last one, I'm working that day, which basically forces me to watch it.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2017-06-14 08:20:51)

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Tom, all I can say about Transformers is...I'm sorry.

Maybe an extended edition where you watch it and then Owen and Martin review it without watching and guess how the plot goes?

Kind of like Battleship was for FIYH?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/We-Need-to-Talk-About-Kevin-Movie-Review-2.jpg

They need to make some sort of trilogy boxset of this, Eraserhead, and Rosemary's Baby for people who never, ever want to have kids. *raises hand* Good Lord.

If there's one flaw here it's that the titular character is a bit too cartoonishly evil. But as a portrait of grief and a devastating tearing-down of the mandatory love we're supposed to feel for our children, it's absolutely brilliant. We don't deserve Tilda Swinton. I watched this to gear up for Ramsay's upcoming You Were Never Really Here, for which my man Joaquin got Best Actor at Cannes, and now I'm even more stoked for that film.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-07-20 05:13:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://cdn1-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets/valerianposter.jpg

This movie is an utter delight. It's like GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY on LSD and possesses none of that film's lazy cynicism. It's frequently a complete mess, but there's so much invention and craft and pure joy on display here.

Also, it's an indie movie that Luc Besson, through sheer persistence, managed to build up an $180 million dollar budget for. Help the guy out. Go see this thing.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/dunkirk-poster.jpg

My "Love-Frustration" relationship with Nolan continues...

Saw it in 70MM Imax - all the praise heaped upon its immersive realism is warranted. Some striking images. And effective sound design - it must be the loudest flick I've seen in ages. Bullet jump-scares. The diving Stuka sequences were probably the highlight.

But once again, the editing lets it down. Too fragmented. One plotline resolves, and then Nolan rewinds time to bring you another perspective. Imagine Frodo drops the Ring into the lava, the Black Tower collapses and everyone rejoices, and then it cuts to another's perspective hours earlier where we have to go through all that again.

The refusal to use much CG gives it a small-scale perspective than what we're used to. No U-boats, no tanks, only three Spitfires, one bomber, very few warships, a dozen pleasure craft, and a few queues of extras on the beach. Contrast the Greek invasion armada in Troy - admittedly that's too much in the opposite direction. Dunkirk is also completely santized of any blood 'n guts, unusual in today's war movies. Contrast with Hacksaw Ridge.

The second downside of trying to capture everything in-camera is that action scenes are disjointed and confusing as there's not enough coverage. Poor continuity too. Then add in Nolan's fucking around with chronology, and there's no emotional through-line in the narrative. It's clear by now that Nolan is a poor director of action. Also, he doesn't care much about dialogue and is happy to have none or have it drowned out by Zimmer's bombast.

Only afterwards did I realise that the beach-wharf sequences played out over a week, while the boat narrative played out over a day, and Tom Hardy's Spitfire pilot sequences played out over an hour. The title card didn't make that clear. The way it's cut (and conventional movie logic) dictates that this all should be concurrent. Afterall, it's a very simple story - men need to evacuate the beach.

There was escalating tension, but it went on too long... the boys plugging holes in the trawler, the repetitive aerial dogfights (impressive the first and second times, but got boring after a while). And man, those Spitfires can glide and glide.

Also, no context with no overall historical geographical layout, also unusual in "highbrow" historical pics. Why didn't the Germans just send 100+ planes to finish off the BEF?

In short, Nolan, in all his mature movies, leans heavily on Zimmer, IMAX, an A-list cast, and sheer chutzpah. It seems enough. He gets away with it every time, despite the short-comings in editing. His movies promise more than they deliver e.g. remember the trailer for Inception that promised you an architecture-bending mind-fuck (that Dr Strange actually delivered) and instead you got a conventional James Bond shoot-out in the snow.

But overall, Dunkirk felt more like an "DUNKIRK EXPERIENCE" that you see in a War Museum, than conventional movie.

And just like that...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down