Re: ROGUE ONE. ALL THE SPOILERS. Seriously, don't go in here.

Tomahawk wrote:

Lucas doesn't deserve an apology. He directed ONE good film,

The film after American Graffiti was pretty cool too!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

BigDamnArtist wrote:

That's also true, but I can't not see the giant jutting neck piece. It's just so bad.

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/rogue-one-darth-vader.jpg?w=640

That shot, not sure about others, was actually adjusted for the actual release of the film.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xNgfDzhHrOso6c/source.gif

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saw it again yesterday. In 2D this time. Still loved it.

Vader's mask still bugged me, still feels like a not quite there cosplay of Vader instead of OHSHITTHATSFUCKINGDARTHFUCKINGVADER. So eh, that end scene was still super badass.

As for Tarkin, there was two-ish shots that NAILED it, that I looked at and went I literally can't tell that's not a real human being. That said, those two shots were ones where he's reacting to something else or only has a word or two to say. Any time he starts speaking the uncanny valley kicks RIGHT in hardcore.

Leia, the effect is good, but more than anything the performance is just really awkward which doesn't help anything. She has the really bizarre turn and stare for a second or two before saying anything. That more than the effect killed it for me. And yeah, there's just something off about the face model, her face seems far too round... like, Carrie Fisher had a bit of baby face going on in ANH, but not THAT much.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Also...randomly...I keep seeing people talk about some crazy innovative visual effects thing at the end, and trying to figure out how they did the Vader scene. Am I missing something? It was intense as hell, but there wasn't anything particularly crazy, technical wise that I could see.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Do they not mean Leia??

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Not as far as I can tell. One person was specifically referring to the Vader fight, and another to some groundbreaking VFX things at the end of the movie. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything more specific than that. But I doubt it was Leia, cause...well Tarkin.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So I saw it, finally.   A friend had warned me it was awful and I figured that had to be an exaggeration, but I texted her afterward to say she'd been right.   It's not the worst movie I saw this year, but a definite disappointment.

Now I really regret that DiF the podcast is over, because it'd be fun to autopsy this one.  I had my fix mostly figured out before the end credits were over -  the whole movie should have been the third act.  Start the movie with the Rebels deciding all is lost, and then one ship of wacky misfits says fuck it, there's one thing that might work and we're gonna try for it.  What little back story we needed could have been covered on the flight over - guess what, my dad designed the death star and it's got a weakness, if we can just get hold of the plans.  And off we go.   

Bonus: little to no robo-Tarkin, Vader only at the very end when he was being a badass, and none of whatever was supposed to be happening with Forest Whittaker or any of that other filler in the first hour which didn't affect a single thing that happened afterward.

It's kinda like how Aliens was a near-perfect movie, and then years later there was a special edition where we found out Ripley used to have a whole dead-daughter back story - that the movie hadn't needed and so we never missed it.   If only Rogue One had had somebody in the room early on who said "guys, the mission is the good part - let's just lose everything before that."  Because once they set out on the REAL mission, Rogue One is actually pretty darn good, and of course I LOVE that every blessed one of 'em died.  That was awesome.   But that first hour... yeeesh.

Plinkett has made a short video...

...and a follow-up.

Trey wrote:

Now I really regret that DiF the podcast is over, because it'd be fun to autopsy this one.

Any chance for another reunion (like the Extended Edition commentary for TFA)?

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

the whole movie should have been the third act.  Start the movie with the Rebels deciding all is lost, and then one ship of wacky misfits says fuck it, there's one thing that might work and we're gonna try for it.  What little back story we needed could have been covered on the flight over - guess what, my dad designed the death star and it's got a weakness, if we can just get hold of the plans.  And off we go.   

...Because once they set out on the REAL mission, Rogue One is actually pretty darn good, and of course I LOVE that every blessed one of 'em died.  That was awesome.   But that first hour... yeeesh.

This isn't the first time I've heard this, but I disagree. I thought the first "hour" was great for developing the characters and establishing motivations. And sure WE know what the Death Star can do, but it was really cool to see the characters reacting to even its low-power operation. For me, it made the Death Star (after 3 movies with a variant) more imposing and "real" than ever before.

But that's me. I'm more interested in hearing from Trey or anyone who agrees with him (because I'm genuinely curious): what makes the first "hour" of this movie different from the character setup from, say Star Wars '77? Couldn't that movie have started with the Alliance looking up and there's the Death Star over their secret base? Or maybe with a ship of misfits showing up at the Death Star to rescue the princess after the Tantive IV opening? Do we really need to know why a Jedi hermit, a farmboy, a scruffy smuggler, and his pet human show up to help?
I liked the setup of Rogue One, and it's fine if we disagree, but what makes it less important than the setup of Star Wars or any other movie? (since we're probably not getting a DiF discussion anytime soon)

Last edited by Writhyn (2017-01-04 13:34:25)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:
Trey wrote:

the whole movie should have been the third act.  Start the movie with the Rebels deciding all is lost, and then one ship of wacky misfits says fuck it, there's one thing that might work and we're gonna try for it.  What little back story we needed could have been covered on the flight over - guess what, my dad designed the death star and it's got a weakness, if we can just get hold of the plans.  And off we go.   

...Because once they set out on the REAL mission, Rogue One is actually pretty darn good, and of course I LOVE that every blessed one of 'em died.  That was awesome.   But that first hour... yeeesh.

This isn't the first time I've heard this, but I disagree. I thought the first "hour" was great for developing the characters and establishing motivations. And sure WE know what the Death Star can do, but it was really cool to see the characters reacting to even its low-power operation. For me, it made the Death Star (after 3 movies with a variant) more imposing and "real" than ever before.

But that's me. I'm more interested in hearing from Trey or anyone who agrees with him (because I'm genuinely curious): what makes the first "hour" of this movie different from the character setup from, say Star Wars '77? Couldn't that movie have started with the Alliance looking up and there's the Death Star over their secret base? Or maybe with a ship of misfits showing up at the Death Star to rescue the princess after the Tantive IV opening? Do we really need to know why a Jedi hermit, a farmboy, a scruffy smuggler, and his pet human show up to help?
I liked the setup of Rogue One, and it's fine if we disagree, but what makes it less important than the setup of Star Wars or any other movie? (since we're probably not getting a DiF discussion anytime soon)

Same here. I just got back and found it highly enjoyable and engaging story. Not on that had to b told, sure but engaging just the same.

The first hour I liked because I got to know Jyn and her family. I think I identified with Galen the most, as a character, so it was nice to see him and his motivation. Star Wars continues the let's traumatize young kids with death motif, but Jyn at least didn't have to wait forever for some sort of parent figure.

I hope that the we can get more insight in to people's likes and dislikes. smile

For me:

The good:
-Characters are interesting, sarcastic, and have a history that is alluded at, with only Jyn's really being explored. Some exposition to make them interesting but not so much that it boggd down the story.

-Set pieces. Boy there a lot of them, and that probably could have been reduced. But, the thing I did like was that several felt distinct, and few felt like repeats over previous locations.

-Humor-which mostly came from KC, was written well. It was nice to have those moments of laughter before the darker tone really dominated.

-Huge space battle. Much bigger than I was expecting. Great use of footage of Gold Leader, Red Leader and other pilots.

The bad:
-Was Jedha such a problem for the Empire that they would test the Death Star? Felt like that destruction was a bit unnecessary.

-The Imperial archive felt needlessly complex.

-Lie detector alien? Um, a little unnecessary and stretched out that first scene with Saw on Jedha uncomfortably long.

-Did not care for Vader's attack at the end.

There's more but that's a bit off the cuff.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought this was neat. Considering it took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize Tarkin wasn't an actual person I'd say it worked alright.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I honestly had thought that they had just used reference film and inserted him in digitally, as in no new footage. I couldn't believe the work they did. I know this forum is not usually in to the FX for the sake of FX but I loved every moment between Tarkin and Krennic.

Also, some follow up thoughts after a week of thinking on this film, as well as reviewing some other reviews. First of all, I read that Edwards shot a lot of additional footage for the trailers and that the battle at the end use to be longer. Instead, they cut down the battle an added in Cassian's intro scene, and Jyn's jail break. In my opinion, some of those scenes were not necessary. When I read that, I recalled Trey's statement from Episode 1 (of all episodes) to "Cut Act 1."

Now, I don't think it needed a full cut, but I think the first act was too jumpy, too sporadic, and too many locations to keep up on. I think they needed to reduce it by a couple of locations, and possibly cut Jyn's breakout, or at least put it on another planet already introduced. Which, I honestly was expecting with were Cassian started out, but then we're at another location. Quite jarring actually.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I went to see again.

The first half felt a little flawed (sort of disjointed) - it could use a rewrite. I was worried that R1 is gonna turn out to be another Godzilla 2014 (a totally dry, humorless movie with uninteresting characters that didn't work for me at all), but Krennic, K-2SO and the final battle redeemed it for me.

Star Wars isn't special anymore; it's become just another franchise owned by a big corporation and we have to live with that. Just like the MCU, the SW movies are gonna be a mixed bag; it would be extremely hard to avoid it. The spin-off movie series was created to try different tones and sensibilities and that's what we've got with R1. I'm moderately satisfied with the movie, though it's definitely not flawless. Anyone who hates it can wait a year for the next one - there's always gonna be a next one wink

A final note: The most ridiculous piece of criticism I've heard somewhere is "R1 sucks because it canonizes the prequels by using Jimmy Smits". Dude, the prequels were always canon. I agree that they're awful, but they're canon and there's nothing we can do about it tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MartyJ wrote:

I went to see again.

The first half felt a little flawed (sort of disjointed) - it could use a rewrite. I was worried that R1 is gonna turn out to be another Godzilla 2014 (a totally dry, humorless movie with uninteresting characters that didn't work for me at all), but Krennic, K-2SO and the final battle redeemed it for me.

Star Wars isn't special anymore; it's become just another franchise owned by a big corporation and we have to live with that. Just like the MCU, the SW movies are gonna be a mixed bag; it would be extremely hard to avoid it. The spin-off movie series was created to try different tones and sensibilities and that's what we've got with R1. I'm moderately satisfied with the movie, though it's definitely not flawless. Anyone who hates it can wait a year for the next one - there's always gonna be a next one wink

A final note: The most ridiculous piece of criticism I've heard somewhere is "R1 sucks because it canonizes the prequels by using Jimmy Smits". Dude, the prequels were always canon. I agree that they're awful, but they're canon and there's nothing we can do about it tongue

Sure there is-don't watch them wink

I'm not sure I agree about the Star Wars not being special anymore. I think it will hit that point, but right now, having these little (I know I say little) side stories about things that we don't "need" but are still interesting additions to the world.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree about the Star Wars not being special anymore. I think it will hit that point, but right now, having these little (I know I say little) side stories about things that we don't "need" but are still interesting additions to the world.

I have a pet theory that as these sorts of mainstream franchises become more and more popular (Marvel/DC/Star Wars) we'll start seeing a cultural shift away from isolated self contained stories and towards expansive universes where various stories can occur. Basically what happened with the EU but through film. And obviously that's what Disney is pushing for with Star Wars, fleshing out the universe and building themselves a sandbox to play in.

My hope is that as they work through the sort of "cultural main-stay concepts", (young Han Solo, Rogue One, Boba Fett, etc) they'll start getting the ability to branch out and experiment with the universe more, without the audience raging because "THIS ISN'T THE STAR WARS WE KNOW WTF BOYCOTT"; and dipping into and playing with some of the more random bits of the universe that have nothing to do with the Skywalker storyline.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I have a pet theory that as these sorts of mainstream franchises become more and more popular (Marvel/DC/Star Wars) we'll start seeing a cultural shift away from isolated self contained stories and towards expansive universes where various stories can occur. Basically what happened with the EU but through film. And obviously that's what Disney is pushing for with Star Wars, fleshing out the universe and building themselves a sandbox to play in.

My hope is that as they work through the sort of "cultural main-stay concepts", (young Han Solo, Rogue One, Boba Fett, etc) they'll start getting the ability to branch out and experiment with the universe more, without the audience raging because "THIS ISN'T THE STAR WARS WE KNOW WTF BOYCOTT"; and dipping into and playing with some of the more random bits of the universe that have nothing to do with the Skywalker storyline.

Given the different routes that Clone Wars and Rebels has gone, there is certainly examples of them willing to try some different types of stories. I think, with the success of RO, and it's darker tone, there might be a genuine way to get those different stories.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An Honest Trailer appeared:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nathan Butler's overview of all US home video releases (for potential buyers):

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time. Had no idea he was still around and still Star Warsing. I knew him a bit a decade and a half ago on TFN, was even on one of his radio shows early on, IIRC.

Time is weird.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Weirdly, he actually looks like Teague and a young tom everett:
http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsE/5433-23771.jpg

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Had no idea he was still around and still Star Warsing.

Oh yeah. Nate hit it big. He worked on some SW fiction (comic books, IIRC) and now his book about SW on home video is coming out.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A sequel to the previous video: Rogue One releases in the UK:

Thumbs up Thumbs down