Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Watched the first episode of Powers, and couldn't stand it. Too much exposition, too bad acting, and the VFX were pretty damn bad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lucy pissed me off with the "We only use 10% of our brains" starting line. So I'm right there with you tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Agreed. The 10% myth is getting old

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was the movie any good though?

As a psych major, the "10%" myth is one of the few that rolls off my back now. I know it isn't true, and I am not going to waste worrying over it.

Also, I wouldn't mind having Trey's take on it. I personally am kind of done with the "didn't land on the moon" conspiracy theory but it seems to be gaining ground.  hmm

Last edited by fireproof78 (2015-11-25 08:32:06)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

@Fireproof, the movie had such potential but just floundered. Some striking visuals and really cool moments stirred into a whole bunch of mediocre/disappointing/etc. Not anything to do with ScarJo, though, she was fantastic as always.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks. I still might check it out smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Anyone seen the trailer for Moonwalkers?

There was a spec script doing the rounds a few years back that got some buzz on the blacklist called 1969: A Space Odyssey with a similar concept except it's the real Kubrick.

shame that this doesn't look half as good

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Has anyone bothered to see "Gods of Egypt?" I love me some good Egyptian mythological world building (thank you Stargate) but I don't know if I can sit through that. It sounds like a crazy project.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't, but I really really want to. A girl at work was RAVING about it the other day.

It's funny because I had never even heard of the thing before I went to go see Star Wars, and the trailer played in front, and I was just thrown at the back of my seat going "WHAT IS THIS AMAZING THING IN FRONT OF MY FACE OMG MUST SEE IT."

ZangrethorDigital.ca

(I guess this short rant isn't worth an entirely new thread.)

Nobody here has commented on this year's Oscar nominations yet, so I'll be the first one to acknowledge the elephant in the room: FOURTEEN fucking nominations for La La Land.

I don't hate La La Land. I enjoyed for what it is: a nice little musical with pleasant, but not very memorable, songs. But FOURTEEN nominations? Seems like the Academy fell for the same Jedi Mind Trick once again. The central theme of this movie ("a love letter to Hollywood" AKA "look how awesome we are") simply screams award bait. Will anyone remember La La Land ten years from now? I suspect it will become the new Shakespeare In Love, Benjamin Button or English Patient - a half-forgotten footnote. Also, just a few years ago, a movie as impressive as Cloud Atlas got nothing. The Academy needs fresh blood, 'cause those old white men are stuck in the fucking past, like a cat chasing the same old laser pointer all his life.

The question I'd like to ask our resident industry professionals is: do you think that this is going to change anytime soon? I wouldn't know, I'm just a random idiot on the Internet. What do you think?

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

I'm also fairly unimpressed by the world's reaction to La La Land, for what it's worth. Fourteen is insane.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All I know about La La Land

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

All I know about La La Land

Well played  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wish this wasn't real.
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/0e592dc147f39d13e2bbe42615f56f0f1239067105_full.jpg

Whatever they come up with will probably make Trey appreciate Spaceballs a little more smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or in the case of Auralnauts. Just take the actual movies and change a few things.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Even as someone who is deliberately decoupling himself from pop culture, I feel zero hesitation declaring that Auralnauts are geniuses who are putting the finishing touches on a form of art that will forevermore evolve from their template. Their Star Wars edits are like Citizen Kane.

Let it hang. Not even skurred.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Im right there with you.

Even considering thier Episode 5 was a bit weak.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

*fist bump*

That said, re: 5, I have the opposite opinion. I think it's their strongest in some ways. Probably not the funniest, though, admittedly.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Admittedly Ive only watched it the once but I remember the distinct feeling that it was REAAAALLLY leaning on the non-sequiter humour and scenes to get through it. It felt like the least cohesive story episode of them.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'd argue it's the either the first or second most cohesive, story-wise. *shrug* Each his own.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hrm. Ill have to rewatch it I guess.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Talking about the movie "The Box" with a friend who doesn't know the DIF glossary was interesting...

"....'the box' being the Mcguffin of the movie before going to the mansion with its supernatural magic bean..."

He looked baffled

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

dorkman

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

So, "Rogue One" is on Netflix streaming in the USA, and someone pulled ye olde "Backstroke of the West" captioning. Click here for Star Wars: Grand Theft Auto.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2017-07-20 04:27:36)

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So... between the title, the setup that the trailer provides, and now this poster, we're getting very strong indicators that mother! might actually be Aronofsky's stealth Rosemary's Baby remake. I am so down for this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH2feOAUMAA_2eo.jpg:large

Thumbs up Thumbs down