Re: Dubious musical taste.

That is so great

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is the best thing. Like of all the things, this is the best. I want them to do a collab with these guys just for the hell of it, cause it's not insane enough already:

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just realized I never posted this. The Dirk Gently soundtrack is frickin bonkers and I love it to death. Whenever the full score releases I am getting it immediately and listening to it on repeat til I lapse into a coma of awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/cristobal-tapia- … re-sampler

ZangrethorDigital.ca

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

How about some batshit crazy sample-dense Golden Age hip hop?  Been ages since I saw something on YouTube, etc. and went "I have to have this record.  I don't care what it costs."  I think they sold like 6 copies back in 1991.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You've pretty much stifled everything I wanted to say.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apparently there's a new Gorillaz album... I know because it got mentioned every 15 minutes today at work.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Started listening to one track earlier; became so sad that I stopped.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whyzzat? (Hasn't listened to enough Gorillaz to know what people are expecting).

That one isn't something I'd usually listen to, but it's weird and alright I guess.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The Fleet Foxes are hard to define, because I think they're absolutely unique. You could say they're folk music, but really, they're doing their own thing. They're a Seattle band that comes and goes depending on what they feel like doing. They hadn't released anything since 2011, and got back together for a new release that got out only a few weeks ago.

My girlfriend introduced me to them a few months ago and they've quickly become a major influence for me and what defines me in music. There's a purity and intensity in the emotions they communicate through their vocal harmonies and instrumental work that I've never seen anywhere else. Robin Pecknold's (founding member, lead singer and sole writer) voice is absolutely incredible. He's a very inspiring guy. Socially anxious, he has a world of his own and fully expresses himself through his music. Starting live performances was very hard for him, but he does it 150%. We're seeing them next november and it hurts to wait until then.

Mykonos is probably my favourite, because when the second part kicks in, followed by the powerful "You go wherever you go today", it pretty much makes my heart escape my body and start a life of its own.

Same thing with the instrumental Heard Them Stirring which gives me visions of... mystical mountains. I don't know. It speaks to me.

And a last one, because White Winter Hymnal is probably their most famous.

If nothing else, if you're a sucker for incredible vocal harmonies like I am, you absolutely need to listen to everything they do. They're on Spotify.

PS: Shut up Martin.

Last edited by Saniss (2017-06-23 10:17:16)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yeah, White Winter Hymnal is where I'd heard of them (...through the Pentatonix cover). Very cool, thanks for sharing more of their stuff!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Saniss, you might like The Shins, if you're not familiar.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I am, thanks to Zach Braff.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Of course you are. I am ashamed.

http://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPq4r6ZF410gpvW/giphy.gif

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hot damn Rhiannon Giddens is great. (The Gaelic song's video is unfortunately truncated from the full performance, but still.)

Last edited by Abbie (2017-10-06 17:25:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

She reminds me of Grace Slick at a couple points, actually.

She decidedly does not remind me of Grace Slick the rest of the time.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah, same. That'd be a hell of a duet.

Also, never posted this here: folk-hardcore is the shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, it's Garrison Keillor!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Arwen is good stuff.

Current song that is getting overplayed on my CD player:

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Been getting really into Charlie Hunter lately. Guitar-based jazz with the titular frontman simultaneously playing lead and bass lines on a seven-stringed instrument. Unrelated to the music itself, his album and track titles are consistently delightful.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty sure Alex has recommended this same guy. Huh.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh, when Alex likes something I like, I'm in good company.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Charlie Hunter's great.  he's fantastic to watch in person...hurts your brain a bit.

also highly recommend "Return of the Candyman"  it's just drums, vibes and charlie hunter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vibes don't get enough love.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think you're using a vibrator right if it's not getting any love.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down