Re: Return of the Jedi

I don't think that would have been very subtle. His hand is a very powerful way to convey what he's becoming. We've known about it since the end of Empire, but it was only the after-effect of his fight against Vader. Suddenly, we see it as Luke taking the same path as his father. I think it was a bit of a shock for the audience: "Oh, wow, he's turning into his father, I'd never looked at it this way". smile

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

That question was actually asked of a crew member on RotS. The response was "They're lightsabers, not mood rings."

Last edited by Abbie (2015-06-16 16:07:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, I honestly can't think of a way to make that play without entering immediately into melodrama territory.

I mean...even more melodrama territory.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Also, I honestly can't think of a way to make that play without entering immediately into melodrama territory.

I mean...even more melodrama territory.

Thank you for clarifying yourself there, sir wink

Star Wars has enough magic in it without adding in a darkening of the aura, or however they would describe.

Not to be derisive of either properties, but the notion reminds me of an idea from an anime, Madoka Magika (and apologies if I got the title wrong). There is the idea of a soul gem that can darken as the person gets closer to giving in to despair. I feel like if Star Wars did that with sabers, it would feel like that, and wouldn't feel like it works in the world.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do like the idea of the light-saber being aware of what's inside you before you're aware of it though. That's usually an interesting kind of trope to play with.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

I do like the idea of the light-saber being aware of what's inside you before you're aware of it though. That's usually an interesting kind of trope to play with.

I agree, and I think it would have worked if that had been established early on, because it really is a fun trope to have in a fantasy setting.

I just think it would have been odd in this film or the PT without some sort of preestablishment within the context of the world.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The PT kinda goes in the same kind of direction with the yellow eyes, although you seem to get them if you're already way down that path (eg Anakin in Episode III). However, the trailer for the new The Old Republic seems to go in that direction. Dude gets yellow eyes in a fit of rage, then loses them immediately when he realizes what he's done.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What the hell?! XKCD ripped off DiF! tongue

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/eclipse_flights.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Interesting.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.