Re: Obscure personal questions.

That was an awesome story.

I am now mulling over your question. I don't unabashedly loathe anybody, but I can probably figure out someone toward the bottom end of my esteem.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Haha, telling it is the one way I salvaged anything positive from the incident.

Fear and Esteem-Bottoming doesn't have quite the same ring to it but is more than adequate as an answer!

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2016-07-28 03:13:47)

Saniss reminded me of this thread, now I'll bump it and finally respond to Prax's prompt a year later:

The more I learn about the world of state secrets, the more I'm made queasy by my previous admiration of Edward Snowden. I still think he's a very intelligent guy and a talented speaker, but... yeah, hard no.

Question for the next person: what was your most-disappointing live performance experience?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

The more I learn about the world of state secrets, the more I'm made queasy by my previous admiration of Edward Snowden. I still think he's a very intelligent guy and a talented speaker, but... yeah, hard no.

Sidetracking here: care to elaborate? I know next to nothing about all this, my only association with Snowden is "Hackerish dude hailed as a superhero for David-vs-Goliathing against governments".

Sébastien Fraud - Compositing Artist / Currently VFX Supervisor at TRIARII Prod, France.
Facebook Page  500px Gallery

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Question for the next person: what was your most-disappointing live performance experience?

The Killers, at Leeds 2005 when Mr. Brightside was on every radio. They just sounded exactly like the album with no live flare.

Next Question: Have you ever had a moustache, and if so did you wear it as well as Saniss??

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

For like a week in college. Fuck no I didn't.

You can choose one director, dead or alive, to become President of the World. Who?

Uwe Boll.

Still better than Trump.

If you had the ability to travel back in time 20 years, whilst retaining all your memories and personality, would you?
Remember, me, for instance, would be 11. It's a daunting task to wait at least 7 years to become an adult, and go through school again.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Tomahawk wrote:

If you had the ability to travel back in time 20 years, whilst retaining all your memories and personality, would you?

Fuck No! Broadband would be years away, I'd have seen every movie. People were still using VHS tapes for god's sake!

There aren't any good old days. There is today. There is tomorrow.

Would you rather have an awkward fumble with a sexy mermaid or a night of passion with a fish-headed lady?

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I would. There are some skills that my mom wanted me to learn (playing the piano, for instance) that I wish I had continued, among other things.

What's the most random, obscure, hobby that you would spend money on if you could?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

Would you rather have an awkward fumble with a sexy mermaid or a night of passion with a fish-headed lady?

I feel like The Shape of Water has answered that one for us.

What's the single scariest thing you know of? Could be a fact, a memory, a piece of art, etc.

I don't suppose you were hoping for answers in the form of congressional testimony.

(This is upsetting information about the status of nuclear defense technology. Don't click for fun.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yikes. I'm still way more concerned about the President deciding to wipe out the Korean peninsula than I am about the Koreans hitting us, but the latter concern is now upped substantially.

Faldor wrote:

Have you ever had a moustache, and if so did you wear it as well as Saniss??

Answer = Yes and... no https://image.ibb.co/jm8ukH/Tache.jpg

Hurroo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a definite yes, this moustache  is absolutely gorgeous.

Sébastien Fraud - Compositing Artist / Currently VFX Supervisor at TRIARII Prod, France.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bump!

fireproof78 wrote:

What's the most random, obscure, hobby that you would spend money on if you could?

I . . . honestly don't have a great answer for this one. Any hobbies I know of aren't that likely to be obscure. That said:

I would absolutely spend money on getting back into saber fencing if I could afford to; did it for five years until I went to college and had to quit due to time/finance reasons. It's a great way to meet people and exercise, but I'd be lying if I said that were the real reason; the real reason is that there's a part of me that hopes that one day we'll be reduced to a pretechnological state and sword fights will come back into fashion. tongue

Next question:

You have the ability to leave a survival bag for someone else to find and pick up in the midst of the apocalypse. There are rules, though—it can't exceed the size of a backpack; can't include any weapons or food supplies; and must contain at least one book, one item that can be obtained at a Best Buy, and one seemingly useless implement. Stock it. Go nuts.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-07-01 23:34:57)

Oh man. That's a fun prompt. Do you go for a book with wilderness survival? Or something like physics to help with rebuilding a manufacturing base, the Lucifer's Hammer approach? Best Buy (or the spirit of something modern and tech-y) is an interesting limitation too, probably some sort of rechargeable power source - solar or more likely mechanical - but I'm sure I'm missing something. As for useless implement, I'm just curious what people say. Towel is a bit too useful to count as such.

I'm not outright answering that, more because I'd love to see discussion on it, but also I'm not decisive enough to put it together right now tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

It can't exceed the size of a backpack, include any weapons, or include any food supplies. It must contain at least one book, one item from a Best Buy, and one useless implement.

I would include:

• A portable water filterer or two

• Canteen

• Water-purification tablets (might count as potables)

• First-Aid kit

• Tarp

• Rope

• Flint striker, refills

• Durable netting (for fish)

• Zip-ties

• Hand-powered "recharger," with USB port, because

• Best Buy: Kindle (e-ink type)

• Books: foraging / survival / medicine / etc. — all on the Kindle

• Just to be safe, one non-Kindle book covering as much of same as possible

• (I'll put more books on the Kindle once the essentials are in there, too — I'm not a monster)

• Anything noisy enough to scare a mountain lion — air horn, maybe

• Compass / thermometer / mirror-signal / etc..

• Useless: harmonica

• A second backpack

New Prompts:

1) — What's something you wish they taught in school? I want your magnanimous completely-serious answer and your selfish 'lol-my-druthers' answer.

2) — Throughout your entire life, for any reason, which brand have you 1) felt most-positively about; 2) felt most-negatively about; 3) most-evolved on, positively; and, 4) most-evolved on, negatively.

3) — The "Big 5" African game animals are the lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo, and elephant. Pick two to kill off, and one to triple.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Would just like to say that I had no idea that hand-powered electronics chargers existed and that I am now buying one. You're a dangerous man, Teague Chrystie.

DarthPraxus wrote:

Would just like to say that I had no idea that hand-powered electronics chargers existed and that I am now buying one. You're a dangerous man, Teague Chrystie.

Seriously put one of those things in your car asap. They WILL save your ass one day. Also if you have an older car a cigarette lighter to power socket/usb inverter, or larger inverter/battery backup if you've got some cash to spend. Being able to jump your own car is a massive life saver. (Says the guy that nearly got stranded in the middle of no where last week cause he didn't have one).

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

I own a pedal-powered generator.

O.O

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

1) — What's something you wish they taught in school? I want your magnanimous completely-serious answer and your selfish 'lol-my-druthers' answer.

Farming. I think that food production is so far removed from the current generation that people will soon lose the skill all together.

Lightsaber combat. Yes, seriously. Every variation possible.

Random question: What's the most amount of money you feel would the perfect amount for you to live on?

BigDamnArtist wrote:
DarthPraxus wrote:

Seriously put one of those things in your car asap. They WILL save your ass one day. Also if you have an older car a cigarette lighter to power socket/usb inverter, or larger inverter/battery backup if you've got some cash to spend. Being able to jump your own car is a massive life saver. (Says the guy that nearly got stranded in the middle of no where last week cause he didn't have one).

So, personal experience is a great teacher? big_smile

Last edited by fireproof78 (2018-08-27 03:25:58)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Farming. I think that food production is so far removed from the current generation that people will soon lose the skill all together.

Currently live in rural Iowa. They totally do teach it in school. Like, full on college 4 year degrees. Shit's fucking complicated these days.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I worked the past year and a half at an agricultural college. Shits definitely still taught in school and there's an entire generation of farmers out there and coming up, it's not something we're gonna lose any time soon. (Also, OHGAWD Shadow is so right, current farming tech and technology is bonkers complicated, you have to be part scientist if you want to be even remotely sustainable, let alone profitable)

That said, I do think basic gardening/farming should be taught in like middle/high school, because the number of city kids that have ZERO idea what goes into growing and cultivating food is astonishing (though unsurprising, it's not like you're just going to pick that up in the middle of a city).

fireproof78 wrote:

So, personal experience is a great teacher? big_smile

As an abstract every day bit of wisdom, yes. In that specific instance though, I was fully aware of the benefits of having an inverter, I'm just too poor to be able to afford one.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

We've been growing a vegetable garden, and it's absolutely mesmerizing just what little effort is required if you do things right. We could be self-sufficient if we wanted to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I should clarify that I think the basics, the absolute fundamentals of farming and food production, should be taught at a grade school and high school level. I live in a rural area, and my wife has a wonderful garden and I'm learning more and more. But, I personally think that kids should be learning and not just having to go to college.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down