Topic: We'll call it market research. (Favorite WAYDM Episodes)

Over in the Top Five thread, Prax asked

Darth Praxus wrote:

Next up: top five WAYDM episodes.

And to be honest, while the person who answered that (Eddie, in this case) had great answers, I'm really curious how most of y'all would answer that. I know my preferences for the show, and I'm sure everyone on the panel has their desired "episode type," but... how do y'all feel about this?

Now I feel like an idiot because I've never asked this before.

Two questions.

1. What are your favorite episodes of the show? (And why.)

2. What episodes would you show somebody to try to convince them to listen to the show? (And why.)

Dorkman edit: updated the thread title to make it clearer what the thread's about.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-04-15 08:11:31)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: We'll call it market research. (Favorite WAYDM Episodes)

With there being so many episodes out there, I can't really narrow it down to specific episodes. My absolute favourites though are the 'Fixing the movie' shows, I've learnt more about screenwriting and filmmaking from those episodes than I have anywhere else. Before I became a regular listener, I could barely ever manage to finish a script - now I've co-wrote a sci-fi feature! On a similar note, I'm really fond of the Intermission shows that are almost like a crash course in a certain topic, like the screenwriting (oh, how I wish that was longer!) and setiquette episodes.

On the other hand, I really dig when you do commentaries for the classics. I know universally liked movies can be tricky as finding something that hasn't already been said before isn't the easiest thing. But I think for the most part you guys pull it off well. It's just as interesting to go in depth about why a movie works as it is to why one doesn't work.

In terms of what I would recommend, that all depends on the person I guess. Commentaries are pretty niche, so I'd just go for a film you've done that they love.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very hard to pick specific ones out at this point with so much to choose from.

That being said, the novelty of the Trey behind-the-scenes episodes is probably the most fun, with The Abyss being my personal favorite that I come back to a lot.

Aside from that, any of the intermissions about hollywood and filmmaking. Setiquette is amazing, the screenwriting one, the "don't move to LA" episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not sure about top five, but Apollo 13 and Phantom Menace are two of my personal favourites, and The Abyss is great listening due to Uncle Trey's stories.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Most WAYDM commentaries are very good, especially when compared to some other commentary podcasts (WAYDM episodes have a briskness that many other fan commentaries simply lack).

1. Twilight remains my favorite commentary. It has a good analysis of Bella's unsuitability as a protagonist and a discussion regarding soul and immortality.

2. Aside from Twilight, I'd probably show them Prometheus (it points out all the missteps and flaws very well) and all six Star Wars commentaries. The Star Trek (2009) and District 9 should work well, too.

The one episode I don't care much for is Ang Lee's Hulk (that awful movie seems to suck the life out of everyone, including the WAYDM guys).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Going specifically by commentaries, favorites are:

1. The prequel commentaries. Sure they're comparatively unsophisticated and you guys are drunk off your asses, but that's all for the better--your rage at what's happening on screen spawns some of the most hilarious lines in the show's history (belt-buckle rant is unmatched), and you're still amazing at pointing out fixes that could have been made. These were my introduction to the show four years ago, and they hooked me immediately.

2. The two marathons (LOTR/HP). There's a huge, celebratory feel even to the comparatively small LOTR marathon, and Potter of course remains unparalleled. The number of people on and off mic makes for a wonderfully varied and multi-faceted experience, and, as with the prequels, the number of laugh-out-loud moments is great. LOTR was a fantastic learning experience for me, hearing all of the making-of details. The Malariathon was only the third time I managed to watch WAYDM live, and I was there for the whole thing--it was an incredibly special experience, something I knew would most likely never happen again, and participating, in my own small way, for 24 hours (and under two names, Darth Praxus and Graham Warnken--thanks, YouTube tongue) is something I remain proud of. Relistening to the latter, I relive the experience all over again--I feel just as exhausted listening Half-Blood Prince as we all were when it was actually happening. The marathons aren't the best way to introduce someone to the show--too long and involved--but they remain this show's high points, in my view.

3. Twilight. This one is one of the best pick-it-apart episodes the guys have ever done. In addition to the in-depth analysis of why the books are so unhealthy for young readers, the tangents onto things such as Buddhism and the soul are fascinating. This was the first episode where I thought "Hmm, that Eddie guy seems like a really wise person." Plus you guys mentioned Ray Bradbury, my favorite author. big_smile

4. The Core. What can I say? Drunk Teague and Dorkman + bad movie = hilarity.

5. Pan's Labyrinth/Legion The former is one of the commentaries I listened to without having seen the film, but still bring up just to irk friends who are fans of said film. tongue It's a top-form fix-it commentary, packed with humor (the hobo analogy at the end especially), and nerd-rage. The latter commentary is another great fix-it episode, and hearing you guys discuss theology is always a great treat for me. Both episodes are also the best ones to feature Cloe, whose presence is always welcome.

For Intermissions, my favorites so far have been the Aurora response, the episode on piracy and fair use, and any and all of the recommendation episodes--it's always fun to hear that guys you love listening to love books you love (Spin/Snow Crash, way to go Teague!), and some of the books I hadn't read before and picked up as a result were among the best I read last year (Summer of 42, the two John Dies at the End novels, the Mars Trilogy, etc.)

As for introducing people to the show, I've already made a fan with the Star Wars episodes and am currently doing so with another friend--who *likes* the prequels. Here's hoping you guys can break him. tongue In addition to being among the first episodes of the show's run, they're accessible--everyone has seen Star Wars--and have a great balance of humor and fixing things.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-04-09 00:49:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The two Marathons, obviously. (Marathons rock)

Watchmen, Poltergeist, V for Vendetta, Terminator series, Alien series, are all great commentaries. There's dozens of superb ones - too many to list.

but as a basic rule...
Trey & Dorkman lov'n it (e.g. Dredd).
Trey & Dorkman hate'n it (e.g. Prometheus).
Any of the team having worked on something. (e.g. The Abyss) - More of Trey's back-catalogue.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whenever the panel really engages with the movie and discusses themes as well as the story and such are my favorites. District 9 is one of the best examples; the panel is genuinely challenged by the themes. Prometheus is a good example of trying to fix the movie; Cowboys vs Aliens and Van Helsing as well. Raiders and Cloud Atlas, Butch and Sundance, and Attack the Block are good examples of examining why a movie works. Mulholland Drive is one of my favorites because the panelists sort of figure out what Lynch is doing along the way and their feeling for the movie changes; it's amazing.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Teague wrote:

You have, actually.

But it's been a couple years, so good time to revisit it.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-04-09 01:22:34)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Over in the Top Five thread, Prax asked

Darth Praxus wrote:

Next up: top five WAYDM episodes.

And to be honest, while the person who answered that (Eddie, in this case) had great answers, I'm really curious how most of y'all would answer that. I know my preferences for the show, and I'm sure everyone on the panel has their desired "episode type," but... how do y'all feel about this?

Two questions.

1. What are your favorite episodes of the show? (And why.)

2. What episodes would you show somebody to try to convince them to listen to the show? (And why.)

1. I enjoy the marathon ones quite a lot, but I would count them as one. The prequels are my "go-to" for some quick jokes and fun discussion about movies I know very well and don't need to watch while listening (I am a big fan of being able to do house work and listen to WAYDM). Avengers is fun because it is a fun movie and the panel enjoys it, points out some logical inconsistencies but they have fun in spite of themselves. Finally, I like Spiderman 3 because Teague's rage against that movie just makes me chuckle.

As a honorable mention, I enjoyed "Wrath of Khan" because it had a good balance of fans for Star Trek. It represents the panelists in fine form for a work they are a fan of rather than hatred for the movie.

2. If I am to introduce WAYDM to another person then I would recommend the following:

a. Prequels-usually good way for people to get introduced to movies that are fairly well know (and generally accepted as "not good.").
b. Wrath of Khan-again, a known movie for quality and this showcases the more film-making and fanboy-ness of the group, but more positive.
c. Anything with Trey's knowledge or stories: Abyss, Starship Troopers, GI JOE (best Trey rant, IMO).
d. Intermission: Battleship, Terra Prime, Recommendations and "What are you reading." Showing more facets to the show, especially if people like more topics than movies.
e. Monster Inc and Galaxy Quest to show why movies work smile

I really need to watch more movies so I can keep up on the commentaries!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not easy questions to answer since I have enjoyed almost all of the episode.

1. I think I have listened every episode at least once. Few of them multiple times while driving and flying. Some episodes like Jaws, Jurassic Park, Watchmen and many intermissions are my relax tracks. I seem to return to them while driving from work or being extremely tired. Those are episodes that are from movies I like very much and they have nice flow on them. Special mention should be given to LOTR commentaries. It's extremely nice to hear so many people and still those commentaries are not anyway cluttered. All jokes aside all LOTR tracks are huge source of information on Tolkien, the book and making the movies. I still have to listen in awe the amount of info Dorkman is pouring on us.

2. Second question is little bit easier. I would definitely recommend some intermissions first. IF the person in complete novice on commentaries. #28 - Film vs. Digital" is great starting point. Then #54 - Is the VFX industry imploding? Brings you a lot of insight on Hollywood and what state the industry is in. Then some movies. Of course it would depend if there is any favorites for the person listening but I would say the place to start are the classics.

Watching movies is like being drunk. First it is great but most of the times it ends poorly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dredd was good - Harry Potter too. Bizarrely I prefer it when you're all enthusiastic about a movie. The energy is palpable when it's positive. There's a lot to be said about the comms when you're not so happy. The last air bender comm made me try and watch the film, however, the thing that wasn't covered was what ultimately made me give up 20mins in. That was that the acting was utterly unconvincing. So much ham it was oinkbelievable!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only one I can specifically remember, is "Batman Returns". Trey's penguin story is pure gold.

I also really enjoy all the Harry Potter episodes. Not only because I was there throughout, but also because when you're a regular, and know how much hard work went into that psychotic marathon, you appreciate it even more. The fact that you guys still had interesting stuff to say towards the end of Hallows pt2, is insane.

Apart from that, I find myself agreeing with Owen on most of the points,  but uncomposed is just downright awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For me, personal favourites are usually the episodes where you guys sound like you're having fun, and it's a celebration of film (original Star Wars, and Pulp Fiction spring to mind). And also the episodes where you bring up entire new perspectives I hadn't considered (Full Metal Jacket).

For an episode I'd use to get someone else to listen, I think the one which really sold me on the 'cast was Wild Wild West. I'm sure most other 'casts would just use it as an excuse to poop on the film from an impressive height, but I was really impressed and charmed by your "what went wrong, and what would it take to make this work?" approach. I think that episode is a good blend of "hey, we can analyze a film AND be funny", so yeah.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Whenever someone changed their minds about something.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked:

1. Independence Day - Ya'll are so excited, it's fun to listen to. Lots of trivia, as well.
2. Back to the Future - Same as above. (And Galaxy Quest.)
3. The Heroine's Journey - So many lightbulb moments in this in one half hour!
4. Titanic/Apollo 13 - Lots of trivia and just reacting to the movie. They're a couple of the first episodes I listened to, so, nostalgic for me.
5. The Dark Knight - Convinced me you guys react to movies similarly to the way I do. Nice to hear someone else explain why this movie didn't work as well for me as it apparently did for the general public.

The first three have been on my phone, I think, for about two years. Great for airplane rides.

Story-time with Trey episodes are fun, too.

I tend to recommend the video on the homepage. It explains the show well, esp. the Indiana Jones clip.

Recommendations would depend on the person, but in general The Heroine's Journey is a nice quick introduction to you guys, what you do and which movies you talk about. Back to the Future is a solid episode, as are Super 8, Raiders, Galaxy Quest, The Sting and Spiderman 1 & 2. There are others, of course. ...You guys have done a LOT of movies.

My Favorite Episodes of the Terminator Films  and Riddick Films Commentaries

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bump for funsies.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I already did this a few years back, so rather than naming episodes again I'm just gonna go ahead and say my favorite "season" of the show is probably 2013-2014 (roughly the first "Grab Bag" through Jackie Brown, which is more than an actual season but fuck it, I'm being arbitrary). There are individual episodes from other seasons that I definitely like better, and the show's entire run is obviously really consistent in terms of quality/laughs/etc. But I think there's a degree of maturity and balance you guys found here that's definitely more in line with who I am as a film critic/viewer now than I was when I first started listening to the show.

It's an incredibly diverse year in terms of what kinds of episodes you recorded—there are commentaries, lots of intermissions, the origins of Documentality and Uncomposed, and a fucking Harry Potter malariathon—and it's also probably the best running cast the show had. All the regulars and their awesomeness are there—and semi-regular favorites of mine like Cloe pop up quite often—but the guest stars are also incredibly solid. Kyle Newmaster and Alex and Laura Beth all offer professional perspectives on aspects of film that are new to the show, and Kyle the Second and Zarban are incredibly entertaining foils to Dorkman for most of the Malariathon. This is also the season where Eddie really came into his own as a host; his is one of the most valuable perspectives on the show for me, so seeing him become a regular in all but name was great.

This was also the period where you guys balanced out your style of film criticism. When I go back and listen to early episodes, my main complaint is how close you guys stuck to the Blake Snyder school of criticism, which is all about formulas for screenwriting and structure and is IMO a pretty limiting view of how cinema works. By the time this season rolled around, your maturation as filmwatchers and Eddie's additional influence meant that you'd swung away from that extreme and were more willing to embrace film as an abstract/emotional medium as well as one built on screenwriting logic.

I feel like I grew up with the show, in a way. When I started listening I was thirteen, and it was my first big exposure to art criticism of any kind. When this season was recorded, I was just starting college, rethinking my faith, and evolving further and further in how I appreciated and analyzed art, and it felt like the show had matured right along with me. It's a really cool feeling, and the more I listen to this year of the podcast the more I appreciate and love it.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-09-29 22:30:43)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3JIr0GiYV92jpZK/giphy.gif

Not tryin' to get weird here, but that was fairly moving to read. I'm still chewin' on the 'arc' of DIF myself; it's gratifying to know someone else is too.

(Of course, I've also just realized that it probably looks like I bumped this thread to get someone to say nice things about the show, and now I feel like a doofus for not predicting this predicament.)

Anyway. Thanks for the analysis, P. Nice to see those years through someone else's eyes.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'll have to say the Malariathon.

Last year, around May, I got a girlfriend. What would probably be the love of my life.
Problem was, she lived 500km away, and with work getting in the way, it was hard commute to endure every now and then. She would take the bus to my place, I would take the bus to her place, and so forth.
The bus trip up there was 8 hours; the trip home again was 10.
Back when I was 17, I used to take these long bust trips on a bi-weekly basis, so I don't mind it, but as I've gotten older, and more reliant on internet, music, podcasts and whatnots, it's a bit of a stretch to endure 18 hours of bus to be with the girlfriend for a week.

In any case, what I did, was pre-load the Malariathon, which helped keep me sane. It's a crazy 24 hour show, with awesome hosts and guests, and I love it to bits.

Last year, the day before Black Friday(which is actually a thing in Norway too, and I work in consumer electronics retail), she broke up with me. I had quit my job, and told the landlord I was moving, because that was the plan. Ditch this place, and move to the same city as her, so that we wouldn't have to be in a long-distance relationship, because the truth is; that shit sucks, and I hate it. But when she broke up with me, I was left with nothing. I had to ask the landlord not to get anyone else for the apt, but my job was a tad tougher. We had already hired my replacement, which I was training, and in february, I had my last day there.

I had about 3 months worth of sleepless nights and depression, and I only managed to truly rid myself of that state in July.

What kept me going those bus rides, and what helped me stay on the fairly happy side of the spectrum, was you guys. Every time I listen to the malariathon, I'm taken back to a heighten state, where I remember how fucking happy I was back then, and that I won't let depression take me, because I know I can be genuinely happy, and that depression, at least for me, is a fucking temp job that I simply don't need.

I managed to clear things up with her in June, we're friends, and might end up together somewhere down the line, and I got my job back this monday.

It's been a hard year, but it's looking up again.

Thanks, guys. Now start recording again!

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Wow, Tom, I'm sorry for all that. Depression sucks, and that sounds like a rough way to go.
sad_tennant
Glad the Friends could help.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down