Re: Punk Rock - The "old" internet and PC days

I'm glad that anecdote has made it out of your brain and into mine. Thank you for writing that.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I forgot about this.

Now I'm nostalgic again.

Thanks Teague, and, incidentally: me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're welcome, and, incidentally: thanks.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One more facet of the early internet: at least one community I was on used straight HTML formatting for its forum posts. Which was great for learning HTML. And not so great for, "Someone forgot to close a tag and now the thread is broken."

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I remember the first time I noticed that programming in different languages was similiar.
I had to some basic coding whilst setting up a forum way back when, to enable god knows what, but it was only in 2003-ish, when I started modding Max Payne, I realised that I understood the code. It struck me as something that was pretty close to PHP. Of course; it wasn't, it was just a programming language, and they're all fairly logically set up.

This is post 1337. Remember when leetspeak was a thing?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Of course d00d.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

At some point during my Counter-Strike days my nickname looked something like ~D4C|< 54|\|155~ (before I lost the Dack).

I don't know which is worse, the fact that I used to do this, or the fact that people on CS:GO still do it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Stumbling into one language from another is pretty much how I learned every language I know, except for HTML. I sat down with an HTML book and Notepad in 1997 or so, started fuckin' with it; this lead to comort with 'forum code' type A and 'forum code' types B-through-J, comfort fiddling with CSS, comfort fiddling with PHP, comfort diving into Arduino [Javascript, basically], which lead to comfort diving into AE expressions [Javascript, basically] and also Google Sheets programming.

Amusingly, it's also how I discovered I could 'read music' from chord sheets. One day I simply noticed the "D" over a certain bar in my sister's sheet music book, and then there was an "A," and then I realized those were chords, and then I realized I knew how to play them, and then... *plays D, plays A* ...holy shit I'm following musical instructions in real-time.

...still haven't learned sheet music, of course, despite being fairly deep into 'music theory' territory by now. Can't bring myself to trust that system for some reason. Seems shifty. HTML, on the other hand...

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down