Topic: Thread for Being Non-Fatalistically Deeply-Worn-Out About Something

What are you just worn out about? Add your own complaint, or discuss someone else's.

No limit. I'll start with an easy one. (Discussion-wise.)

The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Maybe it's different for folks who grew up reading Marvel comics, but god damn, could I give less of a shit about this. Every time I talk about being sick of the Marvel universe, I get this: "yeah, it's terrible, but I thought [insert movie] was fun." I feel like I'm talking to people about candy sometimes. Of course they're 'fun'; that's the only bar they're trying to clear. That's like ranking food by sweetness.

Let's just keep an eye on how low the bar gets, is all I'm saying. We already eat like children.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Thread for Being Non-Fatalistically Deeply-Worn-Out About Something

You know what one of the worst things about the MCU is? How it's a vacuum that sucks up talented people and holds them for years.

RDJ has been in only two non-Marvel films since The Avengers. Joss (who, say what you will about him/some of his stuff, is a talented guy who makes interesting projects), is now seemingly a permanent cog in the superhero machine (granted, he's switched to DC, but still). Brie Larson won't be able to be in nearly as much quality indie stuff like Short Term 12 or Free Fire now that she's gonna be playing Captain Marvel. And every time they add another talented young up-and-comer to the roster I worry about the same thing happening.

It's not just the MCU, either, it's subpar "cinematic universes" in general. I love Katherine Waterston to death and I'm terrified she won't be in anything worthwhile for the next decade because she's contractually obligated to be in shitty Harry Potter spinoffs.

Everyone on Reddit seems to think directing/starring in an MCU movie is the pinnacle of a person's career in film; every time I see someone cool is gonna be involved in one my heart sinks.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-10-03 16:59:56)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I so cannot be assed about comic book movies anymore. Ugh. It's like eating too much candy, I can't take anymore, I just want a burger.

For you gamers out there, I got one: Loot boxes.
Fuuuuuuuuck loot boxes. Games have been using operant conditioning for ages now, but now they're not even being subtle about it. Want to get that one cool skin? Well, get fucked and buy loot boxes until you get lucky. Hope you like gambling addiction.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, I thought you were talking about subscription boxes like Loot Crate. They used to be a cool way to get a bunch of overstocked but still neat merch around a specific theme that month. Now they're stuffed exclusives, which cost them more to make and thus result in less stuff in each box.

I only subscribed to Loot Crate because I did unboxing videos. I opened one just on its own and it was the most underwhelming thing. We tried Bark Box but nothing in it was right for our dog at the time.

And I have no desire to go for a similar concept, meals-in-a-box. Overpriced and far too niche.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I thought you were talking about Loot Crate, too. (I never subscribed, myself; I only know 'em 'cuz I did FX on a handful of their early advertising videos – there was some pretty fun stuff. They sent me a free box the first time around; they offered subsequently, I politely declined. Cloe still wears the orange pixelated sunglsses from that first box, though. This post has mostly happened within parenthesis.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Loot crate has some cool exclusives, but after a 6 month sub, I couldn't justify keeping it up.

Of course, my girlfriend at the time subbed me for an entire year a week or so before I dumped her.
It was a tragicomic 12 months.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I've somehow avoided loot boxes in games entirely. Though I'm more a fan of single player games that get to the point. I can't afford to spend time on a game that has random element stuff.

lol I'm still super into the MCU! bring it babeee bring it onnnnn :D

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mass Effect.

I haven't ever played the game, and frankly, I don't want to. I have a weird hobby of checking out different science fiction concept art, spaceship design and the like, and it feels like everything I stumble upon is Mass Effect related.

Please stop the "FemShep" the N7 and all the constant references. I just want fun science fiction, not a Mass Effect ripoff.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am very intrigued by Fireproof's thing, because he has detected a trend in the world that I have not, and I love it when that happens.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd argue that Mass Effect codified a certain look that is currently all the rage in sci-fi design. Muich as you couldn't throw a dead cat around sci-fi in the early 80s without hitting Star Wars and Star Wars homages/ripoffs, Mass Effect is there from at least a design standpoint. (It being a tremendously solid game as a new IP helped at the time too.)

But since we can't have anything nice, people complaining about the last game made them put sequel plans on hiatus, so if you're lucky, in a few more years another new "look" will come around that everybody will crib from.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a resurgence of the Star Wars look with the new movies coming out. I really like Mass Effect's aesthetic, but I will admit it's getting a little old.

So, the progression system for Star Wars Battlefront 2 was just revealed. Turns out it's completely loot box based. Like playing a certain class and want to upgrade it's skills? Gotta go open some loot boxes. Aww, you only got upgrades for that other class, too bad, guess you gotta open some more loot boxes. Oh look, you got one, but it's the poor quality version that only gives you a little upgrade, if you want the better version you're going to need to open more loot boxes. Want to buy that sweet new gun for your class? Well, you better start opening boxes cause the currency you need to buy guns only comes in loot boxes. Huh, looks like I need a lot of boxes, can I get them quickly? Well, you can earn one every few hours of playing, or... you can spend some money. And in the mean time have fun losing to the guy who dropped lots of money on boxes because now he got the upgrade that makes him invincible during his special ability.
Here's Angry Joe ranting about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4CnyNW9O4

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Superhero movies. Like, all of them. Except Logan.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Ugh. Yeah, that's a free-to-play business model and anyone buying into it in a game they've already spent full price on should be drawn and quartered.

Here's one that might get me into some trouble since I'm a creative, posting on a board of creatives and work in an industry of creatives.

I'm sick of a lack of genuineness in the creative industry. As in, everyone I know who works in the city and works at a creative agency has to wear the same designer clothing/shoes/sunglasses/hats. They all look like they stepped out of an instagram picture about millennials. You can't tell me that's not reactionary. Or maybe it's not. I don't know. It doesn't feel genuine, anyways. It feels like they got out into the world and realized "nobody will see me as a creative if I don't dress the part". So it's a bunch of people not being themselves trying to impress a bunch of OTHER people who ALSO aren't being themselves. Meanwhile good work is good work and shit work is shit work and good design sense and composition doesn't give a shit if your sunglasses are from the Kanye West line or if you got them off the clearance rack at Walmart.

Alright, I'm going to get into trouble for this one.

Last edited by Kibouchi (2017-10-09 23:21:37)

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

May be a regional thing. I do think that there is a certain *style* of expressiveness that is allowed/encouraged, becoming this generation's dress shirt and tie. My boss is from the Seattle area and has that sort of sense about him. Me living in the northeast, meanwhile, I don't see how my sneakers are less casual than his leather flip-flops.

But as far as, everyone has this designer brand shades and so forth, while I see a more casual expressiveness to the creatives in my area, at least in my industry, there isn't any sort of judgmentalism or classism based on what exactly you're wearing.

Teague wrote:

I am very intrigued by Fireproof's thing, because he has detected a trend in the world that I have not, and I love it when that happens.

Probably a niche that I'm in to, since I want to write military science fiction, and really enjoy studying armor, and ship design. The trend I've noticed, in that very small niche, is ME's style, like Boter noted, was aped quite a bit for other games, and concept art and costuming. It's frustrating when trying to get inspiration in a way that isn't a rip off of Star Wars, Star Trek, and now ME.

And then fans feel like ME should be inspiration for new Star Trek... roll

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kibouchi wrote:

I'm sick of a lack of genuineness in the creative industry. As in, everyone I know who works in the city and works at a creative agency has to wear the same designer clothing/shoes/sunglasses/hats.

Is thing; does happen.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kibouchi wrote:

Superhero movies. Like, all of them. Except Logan.

Liking it isn't enough; here's the post once again. Consider it as a hatchling of the original post; may it spawn many others. We will people the forum with this post, raise a happy little family of superhero-film-denying posts. They will have a loving roof over their heads and a good education, and in a few generations we might hope to have created a genuine House with an actual coat of arms that reads "SVPERHERO MOVIES SVCK".

(it would work better in latin but I'm not sure this can be translated properly)

Last edited by Saniss (2017-10-10 13:49:08)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down