Topic: The Inevitable Blade Runner Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

I just saw it. Fuck, man. What a rush. Seeing good storytelling like that is like snorting a line of cocaine. Or several. Or whatever.

Blade Runner 2049 is a testament to Ridley Scott's ability to use light and composition to tell a story. The long, slow-burn of the pacing felt just like the original. Almost every frame could have been printed out and hung in a photography exhibit. Just beautiful work.

And while all that was super great, that's not what I loved about this movie. As far as visuals go, I really think that's the easy part. They've used the original as a template, and while this one was still brilliantly shot, it's imitative by nature.

To me, the performances were what won the day. I think anyone would have been able to just shoot visually "Blade Runner-esque" picture, throw in some Vangelis and call it a day. It was the subtle emotions of the characters, especially Ryan Gosling's K, that made this stand out as great.

(spoilers)

To be specific, I spent a large chunk of the movie going "please don't let him be Deckard's son. Please don't let him be Deckard's son". And he wasn't, and I was glad. What really got me was how K went from discovering he may have a family to having it all torn away from him. Instead that pain and sense of loss destroying him, he used it to give his life to get Deckard back to his daghter. And really, that's what the movie turned out to boil down to. In the end, we don't really know much about K. All we know is that he found his humanity and gave up everything to do the decent thing.

I was at the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole thing. My hat is off the Ridley. He's still got it.

Now he needs to put that much effort into making a decent Alien sequel.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Re: The Inevitable Blade Runner Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Kibouchi wrote:

I Blade Runner 2049 is a testament to Denis Villeneuve's ability to use light and composition to tell a story. The long, slow-burn of the pacing felt just like the original. Almost every frame could have been printed out and hung in a photography exhibit. Just beautiful work.

Fixed.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah I realized Scott didn't direct after I wrote this. My buddy had told me he did. He was Ex Pro though, so I would think he had a lot of influence on how the movie played out.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

There's nothing quite like a thousand foot tall, and naked, advert when your weighing up life's options. That, at best, has got to be an inconvenience to your day somewhat. And here I thought adverts were obnoxious now. I wonder if there is an adblock palliative in this world...

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I went to see it and all I can say is
http://i.imgflip.com/1u7ggs.jpg

A month ago I wasn't sure who should direct a Deus Ex movie. Now we have a soild candidate for the job.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regan wrote:

There's nothing quite like a thousand foot tall, and naked, advert when your weighing up life's options. That, at best, has got to be an inconvenience to your day somewhat. And here I thought adverts were obnoxious now. I wonder if there is an adblock palliative in this world...

Smart glasses, but adblocking costs extra, and might not run all programs wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For the record; I loved every second of it. Couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They had the sound cranked to 11 at the theatre I saw it in - damn dem synths were wonderful.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep. Loved hard.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's the thing, though, isn't it? It's actually hard to talk about, because we enjoyed everything about it.

I read the headline of an article on facebook; "this is how they pulled off that insane cameo" or something. I'm paraphrasing. I couldn't even remember a cameo. So I read the article, and it was Rachael.
...who was very obviously CG, and Tarkin was better.

Didn't care, still loved it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Her eyes were green!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, also, this was the first time I've seen Harrison Ford act in decades.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, even as someone who didn't actually care that much for this film *ducks* I was impressed with his performance. It doesn't feel like the same character as the Deckard of the first film, but it's still a character. I love TFA and find him charming in it, but even there he was basically just playing the same Han he played in ROTJ, who's just the archetype of "Harrison Ford" but slightly more goofy.

Last edited by Abbie (2017-10-23 18:52:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I always kind of just feel like Harrison Ford just plays Harrison Ford. Not in a bad way. I love good ol' Uncle Harry. But you see him try to take on a role that's outside the gamut of his normal routine and it's a bit painful (See "42", the Jackie Robinson biopic from a few years ago).

I do feel like the original Deckard was quieter. Definitely not the same. Not as goofy. Old Deckard didn't directly crack jokes, but there was a sliver of TFA goofiness to his character. Almost actions that demanded a half-laugh and a smirk. Not even a half laugh. Just a nod and an expulsion of air from the nostrils.

To be fair; people change in 30 years. I'm 31 and not even remotely like what I was 10 years ago, so a character WOULD change.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm 31 too! High five! Or whatever.

Just saying, I've never seen Tom and Kibs in the same room...

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have you ever seen me in the same room as anyone?

The Matrix has you...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

o_O

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm looking forward to 'Rise of the Replicants' =p

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The Replicants Will Rise.

War of the Replicants will be a good one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

War for the rise of dawn of the Replicants.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The Blade Runnering.

Blades will run.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

God I hope one of us isn't right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down