Re: Last movie you watched

https://cdn.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Jim-Andy-The-Great-Beyond-600x890.jpg

This is fucking harrowing. Carrey himself seems to think it's an ultimately uplifting look at a quirky-but-endearing film shoot when it's actually a glimpse of the living hell he put everyone else in the cast and crew through in his attempt to channel Kaufman's "spirit." There's several moments where he's interacting in-character with Kaufman's real family members and it's so fucking upsetting. The emotional manipulation involved just gives me the shivers.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fascinating movie, it's just also pretty repugnant in many ways. Definitely up there for one of the more visceral reactions to a film I've had in 2017.

I honestly didn't think Carey was even acting any more. I wonder how much of what you're talking about has to do with Carey's whole "everyone is a character, and I'm no longer Jim Carey the character" self realization thing he's got going on these days.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Great post, Prax.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I honestly didn't think Carey was even acting any more. I wonder how much of what you're talking about has to do with Carey's whole "everyone is a character, and I'm no longer Jim Carey the character" self realization thing he's got going on these days.

He does seem to view Man on the Moon as a turning point in his interviews for the movie—talks about how it was "liberating" for him to escape being himself for a while and then goes on this rant about how you can't really know anyone, man. Which is also pretty hilarious as he simultaneously claims that he knew Kaufman so well that he was literally possessed by him.

Teague wrote:

Great post, Prax.

Thx, just had to vent a little. The more I think about it the more this movie is an intensely interesting artifact but also the more it makes me really angry. I wouldn't even know where to begin in answering the question of whether it's "good" or not (though if it is it's certainly good in a way Carrey didn't intend).

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-11-21 15:22:51)

WTF, Luc Besson? WTF?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/Valerian_and_the_City_of_a_Thousand_Planets.jpg

The title sequence is promising.

SPOILER Show
We get a Watchmen-esque depiction of the International Space Station's evolution through the ages. The various astronaut teams conform to the most obvious ethnic stereotypes, but the other aspects of this opening work fine.

It only gets worse from here.

SPOILER Show
After the first glimpse at the idyllic pearl-farming society I already started suspecting that they're a Ba'ku/Na'vi-type race wronged by some evil humans. Those suspicions turned out to be correct, but I had to sit through a whole bunch of convoluted set pieces to get to that point. While those set pieces look very impressive, they feel like separate episodes barely related to the main plot.

Valerian and Laureline's introduction is full of clumsy "as you know" dialogue. When they enter the city they both live in, we get an even clumsier piece of exposition as the computer tells them everything about that city. It's supposed to house thousands of species, but very few of them are utilized in the movie (I'll get to them in a moment).

Speaking of the two main characters... They're just not very interesting. Dane DeHaan is terribly miscast; he looks like a strung-out junkie, not a badass space agent. Cara Delevingne isn't any more compelling. These characters needed charismatic actors with chemistry between them.

Rihanna seemed somewhat likable as the PG-13-rated erotic dancer just because she's an abused refugee, but her only role is to serve Valerian and then be killed off, which evokes the stereotype of a disposable sex worker.

Members of the alien race that abducted Laureline are just as disposable and just as stereotypical. Apparently they're less intelligent than human and have a primitive tribal society, so they can be killed like insects - a very unfortunate throwback to the European colonial attitude that will offend any Trekkie's humanitarian ("touchy-feely", as Uncle Trey once put it wink ) sensibility. They're treated worse than the Gungans in TPM. This might've been an intentional reference to old sci-fi/fantasy (the original comic book is 50 years old), but it just doesn't play very well in 2017.

Just like Avatar, Valerian felt like a passion project that the director had in mind for decades and, when finally given the chance to film it, couldn't bring himself to kill his darlings. What we got is a badly constructed plot with amazing eye candy. A writer with less attachment to the source material could've probably delivered a tight script instead of this mess, but, just like George Lucas and Jim Cameron, Luc Besson made the fatal mistake of writing it himself.

(I know it feels like another incoherent litany of random complaints from Marty, but I just can't help myself. This dud is another wasted opportunity for a great space adventure and it pisses me off.)

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I strongly disagree.
I had zero experience with the books, and I loved the film. It was something different; refreshing.

That being said, Dane DeHaan is terribly miscast. Cara Delevigne was fine, but Dane? no. I'm not sure who they could cast if they're going for that "young/hip" thing. Maybe Andrew Garfield?

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

I kinda liked that he looked like he'd been hit with a bat a few times. I dunno. Just liked that he doesn't look like your typical choice.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

no, he's absolutely not the stereotypical Hollywood action hero, which may be why they went with him in the first place, I just didn't feel like he honed the part. Again, Cara was fine. I like her, and I liked Dane in Chronicle, as well as his interpretation of Harry Osborne.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net