Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Oh hey, Netflix is literally writing their series with algorithms now. Nothing to worry about here, I'm sure. (From an interview about the development of Maniac with Cary Fukunaga.)

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42784010_1556437771124147_2847908735697813504_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=9d5ba9792027ee1ba25f412384952554&oe=5C21C10E

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cheap wins.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Cheap wins.

And yet people are some how surprised by this.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

According to Box Office Mojo's estimates, we have a new winner - Avengers: Endgame has outgrossed Avatar worldwide.

I gotta say I'm happy that Avatar was dethroned. It's just a boring and forgettable retelling of the "white savior going native" story that has been told much more interestingly many times before. I watched it again recently and it felt very bland.

Also, Avatar 2 is gonna be an important case for anyone interested in box office performance. So many things have changed in the past decade. How many people will want to watch it? I'm very curious about that.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shared this w/Teague in the chat, figured I'd dump it here too: everyone, enjoy this dissection of how much a "Bruce Willis" performance in a VOD movie is actually him vs. his poorly disguised body double.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jennifer Kent on how she tricked the studio into keeping her preferred aspect ratio for The Nightingale has made my week.

SPOILER Show
https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67736265_1975038759264044_3506050978468069376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQmmij-TSIOVIbQXSdSj7xVUqbD0t4pSDuww5prvFU6hIIyy0T9VgzVcrF4K-hzto04&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-1.fna&oh=52f81ed159942d506d859db524ed2dcc&oe=5DE042BB

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice. Reminds me of the opposite back in '02 where Joss Whedon intentionally framed people on far opposite sides of a wide shot with a ton of space in the middle to force a 16:9 broadcast from Fox.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

That is very good.

(I mean, 'tell it to Fincher,' but.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha.

HA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SPOILER Show
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECcKIb4XsAEPkQV?format=jpg&name=medium

Seeing Disney get unspinnably shafted just before Disney+ drops has put me in a very good mood.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-08-20 20:36:31)

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

A fictional character got fired from a movie. Because of producer dispute.

This fucking world.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Will humanity be able to survive without 4 Spiderman movies this year?

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Matrix: Rebooted

I was thinking...

"Matrix Regurgitation"

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am extremely excited for the new "The Colour Out of Space" adaptation featuring Nicolas Cage.

It all begins with a meteor that falls to earth and lands on the New England farm property of the Gardener family, located just outside of Arkham, the fictional Massachusetts town featured in many of Lovecraft’s stories. Stanley establishes the family as weird but in a quirky and functional way. There’s the father (Nicolas Cage, at Cage-levels so high it honestly makes Mandy look restrained) who likes bourbon and is a bit insecure about his recent decision to buy Alpacas for the farm that serve no function; the mother (Joely Richardson) who supports him by working from home; and their three kids (Brendan Meyer, Madeleine Arther, and Julian Hilliard) who share farm duties in between exploring their own interests in occultism and NASA.

However, that meteor brings with it a strange beam of colors that begin to infect and permeate their surroundings, creating a constantly mutating sense of biology, psychology and time. Days begin to bleed into each other, new plants and bugs begin to appear, the crops grow big and juicy but ultimately rotten on the inside, animals go missing and reappear in misshapen forms and the already eccentric Nicolas Cage is pushed to places he genuinely hasn’t been since the comic mania of Vampire’s Kiss. [Emphasis mine.]

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/color-out-of-space.jpg?w=450

Last edited by Abbie (2019-09-10 15:53:45)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Holy fuck, that sounds really cool. Annihilation was already a quasi-adaptation of this story; it's about time they made a real one.

EDIT: OK, there have been some previous adaptations (I can vaguely remember the one with Wesley Crusher), but this one will take advantage of modern VFX wink

Last edited by MartyJ (2019-09-10 16:23:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I predict a spate of N.C. anchored Lovecraft adaptations.
Is there even a close second on dudes who gonna play a proper descent into madness? (Side-eye to you, Sam Neill)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13111435_f520.jpg

Last edited by drewjmore (2019-09-10 19:02:43)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drewjmore wrote:

Is there even a close second on dudes who gonna play a proper descent into madness? (Side-eye to you, Sam Neill)

Joaquin Phoenix? I guess we're gonna find out next month.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

There are a lot of Hong Kong action movies that are impossible to get decent home media of in America, either because it has no HD release, because it has an "HD" release that's a poor transfer, or because an American distributor *coughWEINSTEINScough* butchered the movie with cuts/poor subtitles or dubbing/etc. Welp, turns out that if you don't care about obtaining discs through legitimate means, there's an awesome solution.

Enter Hong Kong Rescue, a collection of bootleggers dedicated to smuggling HD transfers out of Asian markets and preserving them on region-free discs, along with retranslating subtitles, adding a shitload of extras, and in some cases doing their own restoration work. If you're looking for some great Jackie Chan or John Woo movies that are either unavailable in the States or have terrible releases, this is the place to go—their Police Story release is moot as Criterion have now put that out, but as far as I know this is the only way to get a proper Region A disc of all the other films in the collection.

(This post inspired by my hunt for a proper Blu-Ray of Hard Boiled after seeing it for the first time on a big screen this week. Whatta picture.)

Last edited by Abbie (2020-02-29 05:38:59)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hot damn. Don't mind me as I get Drunken Master pronto. (Part of its enjoyment for me has always been the awful, awful dub - it's how I first saw it with some stoner friends - but that being included as well makes me perversely happy.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm sure if I rooted around long enough, I could probably find Drunken Master on VHS granted I could do nought but look at it and wonder how to play it.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a bootleg DVD floating around somewhere. (Assuming bootleg, if WordArt on the cover is anything to go by.)

Holy carp. Sounds like a great project, I hope they won't get in trouble. Selling fan restorations has always been considered risky - the Star Wars restorations have been ignored by lawyers, but they're always distributed for free (the fan community actually polices that).

Boter wrote:

Don't mind me as I get Drunken Master pronto. (Part of its enjoyment for me has always been the awful, awful dub - it's how I first saw it with some stoner friends - but that being included as well makes me perversely happy.)

I saw The Legend of Drunken Master with the English dub a few months ago and it felt like a Ken Jeong shtick.

Thumbs up Thumbs down