Topic: The Little-Known Factoids Thread

Facts in this thread should be roughly one sentence long, bold, and yellow. (Further elaboration on the facts can be longer, unbolded, and white — I just want the 'headline' facts to be easily-scrollable later, y'know?)

I keep archives of all kinds of things (because I like having a version of my brain with a search function) and several of those categories are information-related, so I'll kick this off with a handful of fun ones right now, but hereafter I'd expect most folks will just share cool facts onesie-twosie-style, as they learn or remember them.

The piano we hear in "Hey Jude" is the same piano we hear in "Bohemian Rhapsody."

The 'inter' in 'internet' derives from 'intergalactic.'

The Hindenburg is the largest thing to have ever flown.

Carl Sagan has a number-range named after him; a 'Sagan' is a group of more than four billion.

(4,000,000,001 is the lowest number to which Sagan's famous construction "billions and billions" applies.)

Humans are more related to chimpanzees than African elephants are to Indian elephants.

The Atlantic is named for Atlas, who was the son of Poseidon.

The first recorded instance of the word 'jazz' appears on the same day Titanic left for New York.

Marx would tell you that the opposite of 'communist' is 'alienated.'

In the U.S., 30° is the maximum bank angle for an airliner and mandated slope for an escalator.

The frequency range of speech, to which the human ear is best-attuned, is the 'tessitura' range.

What's dark matter? We dunno, but look at the name: if photons can interact with it, it's not dark.

What you see when you look at fire is soot, hotly glowing according to the black body spectrum.

A six-inch sphere of solid gold weighs 36 kilos, or 80 pounds — or, about the weight of four tires.

The speed of light is Mach 900k.

I'll stop there and leave some for later.

Your turn.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: The Little-Known Factoids Thread

The last country to attack the USA on its home soil was Great Britain.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The vacuum of space is produced by gravity.

It may seem trivial at first blush, but I find it fairly profound that, e.g., the air-pressure gradient between Earth's surface and outer space is proportional to the local spacetime metric.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The group that ran double-agents for Britain during WWII was known as the "Twenty Committee".

Because in Roman numerals twenty is a double cross.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I am already enjoying this.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Chatham Islands east of New Zealand were colonised by Polynesians in the 16th century, the same century that Europeans started entering the Pacific

After leaving Africa more than 60,000 years ago and diverging into separate groups with wildly different histories, homo sapiens come together again and end up in roughly the same place at roughly the same time.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ian Fleming served with Christopher Lee during World War 2.
The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare and its operations served to inspire Fleming in writing about James Bond, and included other future authors such as Roald Dahl.

Podcast that is relevant to topic title: https://www.missedinhistory.com/podcast … part-1.htm

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The word "slang" is slang, for shortened language.

The word SCUBA is an acronym for Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ian Fleming and Christopher Lee were step-cousins

and Fleming suggested Lee for the role of "Dr. No"

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

EPCOT was supposed to be a city, not a theme park.

If you look on top of the engine of a Lamborghini, there is a little plaque that tells you the firing order of the cylinders.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lamborg … Q7jdC_jZM:

The original computer bug was a moth that flew into a mainframe and got itself caught between two relay contacts.

It was recorded in a log book by Grace Hopper on September 9th, 1947.

The "Unix system" in Jurassic Park (widely ridiculed as "unrealistic") is an actual Unix system ("IRIX") running an actual user interface ("fsn").

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MartyJ wrote:

The "Unix system" in Jurassic Park (widely ridiculed as "unrealistic") is an actual Unix system ("IRIX") running an actual user interface ("fsn").

I had always wondered that.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ben wrote:

If you look on top of the engine of a Lamborghini, there is a little plaque that tells you the firing order of the cylinders.

Ha!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A rich man living in California who'd grown up in South Africa ended up losing his entire fortune, went crazy, and proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States (and later Protector of Mexico).

No, not a prediction of Elon Musk's future, though the surface-level parallels are amusing. Emperor Joshua Abraham Norton I dealt in rice, made a bad gamble, began wearing a uniform, issuing proclamations, and even corresponding with foreign royals, and the citizens of San Francisco went along with it. He died homeless and penniless but his funeral was one of the most well-attended of the time.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Historians believe Humpty Dumpty may have actually been a large 17th century cannon used during the English Civil war that was pushed or fell off the wall in the battle and shattered.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The highest score in Snooker is 155 and not 147.

The ‘maximum' is generally considered to be 147, but a 155 is possible, although it requires exceptional circumstances. If a player comes to the table after a foul by his opponent and is left snookered on all red balls, he can then elect to use a coloured ball as another red, continuing on to pot all the other balls on table as normal.

Last edited by Regan (2018-10-07 13:49:52)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The highest score in darts is not the bull's eye (50), but the triple 20 (60), because if you miss the bull's eye you are pretty much guaranteed to at least hit the bull which will score you 25, however if you miss the triple 20 you will hit either the 20's above and below it or the triple 1 to the right or the triple 5 to the left. Meaning it is a higher risk shot.

Maybe not the most unknown fact in the world, but I didn't know it until I spent an inordinate amount of time watch competitive darts at the college restaurant because it was ALWAYS playing when I went in there for lunch. Also apparently dart competitions are roughly half a DJ away from breaking out into a rave at all times.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Also apparently dart competitions are roughly half a DJ away from breaking out into a rave at all times.

They tried that jazzing up with F1 by giving the drivers WWE style walk in theme songs and flashy lights and smoke and such. Suffice to say it lasted but one race before the fans collectively said 'No! Stop that!' and they reverted back to the norm.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know dude, this is still pretty amped up. Although I was specifically referring to the crowd being SO HYPED ALL THE TIME FOR DARTS.

Hopefully the embed keeps the timecode, just jump to 6:27 if not for the first random instance I happened upon.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Project Thor - An orbital weapon that drops telephone pole sized tungsten rods that fall at high velocity - giving it the destructive power of a nuclear bomb but with out the fallout.

Also named 'Rods from God'.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Holy shit.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a great bit of NPC dialogue in Mass Effect 2 that's a commander talking to a bunch of random soldiers about kinetic bombardment on one of the space stations, and how important it is to aim REALLY REALLY REALLY carefully before you even think about firing cause if you miss that thing is just gonna keep going until it hits whatever poor planet happens to be in the way a thousand light years in that direction and completely obliterates an entire civilization out of nowhere cause some jagoff a thousand years ago couldn't hit the broad side of a planet.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

All metals are crystals.

In fact, almost everything (natural, that is) that isn't organic is a crystal. Most rocks are.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

'Rods from God'???

How did they not go for "Rod Damn" or "Wrath of Rod" or "The Power of Rod" or "Rod Almighty"????

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Kneel Before Rod!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down