Topic: VFX Hacks

Conversation starter: what is something you've done once where you say, "There's no way in hell this should work," but then it does? Alternatively, what do you do on a regular basis that has no right to work but does well enough that you keep coming back to it?

While color correction isn't exactly "visual effects", prior to good masking tools being available in Premiere I'd use the Circle effect for color correction. Is the center of the frame (people at the head table giving a toast) well exposed but the rest (the assembled guests cheering at something funny/embarrassing) really dark? Circle, color to white, invert circle, feather the edge and keep playing with transfer modes and opacity until the outside of the frame has the same exposure as the inside.

Recently I also got fire wall stock footage, with more elements for falling embers, for the end of a video for a client; when the client nixed the fire and wanted snow instead I just monochromed the embers and added a few more layers of it.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: VFX Hacks

1) I love this thread.

2) Oh man. I might have to do a seven-hour video series.

3) I love this thread.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Makes me think of the red-channel offset Mike mentions a couple times on DiF. I really like hearing about little tricks like that, even if I have almost no idea what is being said and I'll never need it because I'm not in VFX

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's 45 minutes worth of about 15 hacks and some theory stuff.

I was kind of in a hurry, so hopefully you'll forgive me rushing in a few places.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watching now. Glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about Circle's versatility tongue I'll have to try to keep some of this stuff in mind.

That use of Basic Text is incredible.

"I'm not gonna yell at clouds, but also - GOD DAMN KIDS, shit." Teague I gotta make my way out that way sometime to hang out with you, having not done so in person before is, I consider, a great failing of mine.

You blew my damn mind with Minimax.

DROPS IN A PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED CIRCLE HACK WHILE TALKING LUMINANCE.

"So, you know Colorama, which you've never played with? Because WHAT THE FUCK!" Teague swearing amuses me, I'm sorry, he does it so well. (Yay, fire colors! I can take a picture out my window and make it look like it's out your window <.<)

I'll have to keep in mind that AE has Vibrance, did not know that but I see it when I'm messing in Lightroom.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

*thumbs*

The all-over-the-placeness made this a very fun post for me to read, for what it's worth. The way I talk makes people's replies to me sound like me. Fun.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Sorry, last time on me posting about Circle for now. Just hit this one today.

https://i.imgur.com/WMA6mPv.png

https://i.imgur.com/DIyBZq1.png

Last edited by Boter (2017-12-07 19:29:23)

Wait. Teague... vfx... circle... The Circle... Teague... VFX FINKLE IS EINHORN!

(this doesn't make sense but kinda had that moment watching the Hacks vid)

*sad trombone*

Last edited by Regan (2017-12-07 19:46:08)

Hurroo

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague; just because you're driving me crazy, right-clicking and looking for effects, here's something you should probably install and use.

Video CoPilot's "FX Console".

It's made my day easier, as I can use a hotkey to open a search for effects, type a bit, and hit enter to apply.

More keystrokes=more fun!

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Oh yeah, we use it at work. It's become essential to me. A few days ago when I opened AE on my PC and nothing happened when I hit Ctrl + Space, I paused for a solid five seconds to ask myself: Wait, how the hell do I create effects then? Nuke having Tab as the key to create nodes doesn't help either. It's really intuitive.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thirded for FX Console. Pretty much one of the most invaluable assets to my workflow these days.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy