Re: The Little-Known Factoids Thread

I thought they had the bad ass names down with 'Project Thor' and 'Rods from God'. Now I see that I was wrong.

I'm just glad they never went with 'Gods Rod'

Last edited by Regan (2018-10-08 20:35:13)

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

There's a great bit of NPC dialogue in Mass Effect 2 that's a commander talking to a bunch of random soldiers about kinetic bombardment on one of the space stations, and how important it is to aim REALLY REALLY REALLY carefully before you even think about firing cause if you miss that thing is just gonna keep going until it hits whatever poor planet happens to be in the way a thousand light years in that direction and completely obliterates an entire civilization out of nowhere cause some jagoff a thousand years ago couldn't hit the broad side of a planet.

"Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!"
An absolutely fantastic bit of dialogue. On a related note, in the game Stellaris, one of the random events that can happen is one of your ships getting hit by a stray kinetic projectile from another galaxy.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

DarthPraxus wrote:

Kneel Before Rod!

http://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2010/11/rod_stewart_10_a_l.jpg

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Ah yes, Regan pulling from the Citation Needed well of knowledge (S1E8 The Flag of Mars and Rods from God). Between the actual articles and the side tangents they find themselves on, lots to mine from there. Such as (S3E3 Sergeant Reckless and Terry Google):

The United States Marine Corps promoted a horse to the rank of Staff Sergeant in the Korean War.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

A rich man living in California who'd grown up in South Africa ended up losing his entire fortune, went crazy, and proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States (and later Protector of Mexico).

No, not a prediction of Elon Musk's future, though the surface-level parallels are amusing. Emperor Joshua Abraham Norton I dealt in rice, made a bad gamble, began wearing a uniform, issuing proclamations, and even corresponding with foreign royals, and the citizens of San Francisco went along with it. He died homeless and penniless but his funeral was one of the most well-attended of the time.

You don't mention one of the most significant things that Emperor Norton did:  he issued his own money, which, again as part of just 'going along with the joke', was accepted as legal tender by stores in San Francisco. 

There are a whole lot of very significant issues that one can engage with by reflecting on that.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Alexander Graham Bell wanted people to answer the telephone with the greeting "Ahoy hoy!"

That's the way I'll be answering my phone from now on.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Writhyn wrote:

'Rods from God'???

How did they not go for "Rod Damn" or "Wrath of Rod" or "The Power of Rod" or "Rod Almighty"????

All copyrighted by Gene Roddenberry wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

More people have played Ian Fleming than James Bond

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

The largest collection of six-toed cats live at the Hemingway House in Key West.

I seen 'em.

O_O

I also seen a giant pet-store iguana fall out a palm tree and scramble away over a much-smaller chicken.

(I very nearly made that sentence bold-yellow.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

I seen 'em.

O_O

I also seen a giant pet-store iguana fall out a palm tree and scramble away over a much-smaller chicken.

(I very nearly made that sentence bold-yellow.)

As it should have been.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A common mnemonic to remember what happens in a 4-stroke engine (the type in most cars today) is "suck, squish, bang, blow."

Suck - open intake valves, pull in oxygen and fuel mixture
Squish - close valves, use cylinder to compress air/fuel mixture
Bang - ignite the mixture using a spark plug, causing an explosion that pushes the cylinder, and thus, the crank
Blow - open exhaust valves, use cylinder compression cycle to push exhaust gasses out

Many Polynesian languages have two first person plural pronouns: one hearer exclusive and one hearer inclusive

So you can distinguish "we (me and someone else, but not you) are going to do something" from "we (a group of people that includes you) are going to do something".  Always thought that would be really handy.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It's English's lack of handy features that have made me embrace "y'all" as a second person plural pronoun in casual conversation, despite my geography dictating otherwise.

Good man. Sensible man.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

That's the way I'll be answering my phone from now on.

Challenged him on this.

He lies.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Science in action.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Science in action.

Is it? Was the sample size large enough for this to be considered statistically relevant?

Well, he called 100% of Sanisses. That's a lot.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WHO YOU CALLIN A LARGE SAMPLE

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Your mom.

100% of Sanisses moms are a Large Sample.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Ben wrote:
Teague wrote:

Science in action.

Is it? Was the sample size large enough for this to be considered statistically relevant?

I have Saniss' phone number. I called him. He didn't answer "Ahoy hoy".

That's about as statistically relevant as it gets.

Thumbs up Thumbs down