Re: The Little-Known Factoids Thread

Trailers originally played after the feature. That's why they're called trailers.

"Trailer" used to mean any short film - newsreels, comedies, etc. - that came after the feature.  Now they come before the feature and are mostly ads for other movies... but they're still called trailers.

When Queen Elizabeth visited the set of Game of Thrones, she would not sit on the Iron Throne.

An obscure law says she cannot sit on another country's throne. It's not clear if the law includes fictional countries, but she decided to play it safe.

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/qe.jpg

Queen Elizabeth rocks.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Quake's music and sound design was done by Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails, using ambient soundscapes and synthesized drones to create atmospheric tracks.

In an interview, Reznor remarked that the Quake soundtrack "is not music, it's textures and ambiences and whirling machine noises and stuff. We tried to make the most sinister, depressive, scary, frightening kind of thing... It's been fun."
Thought of Teague when I saw this one.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm, offers some insight to Type O Negative and Ogre/Skinny Puppy being involved in the Descent 2 soundtrack. Love that industrial sound from games of the period.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

-Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom is the second story of a vast "building."

-The Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom uses an oil drilling platform as its skeleton. Disney Imagineering needed something that could withstand hurricane force winds, but also house a theater inside.

-The line in Fast and the Furious "Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should" is beyond incorrect; double-clutching is a slower way of shifting and often used in vehicles with unsynchronized gearboxes, where you have to shift into neutral in between gears to get the drive-gear synchronized at the same speed as the rest of the transmission. The synchronized gearbox was introduced in the 1950s by Porsche.

-The original Porsche was a tractor.

-So were the original Lamborghinis.

Last edited by Ben (2018-11-09 21:59:54)

(you probably all know this already, but)

If you ever watch a film directed by Alan Smithee... this person has never existed: it's a fake name directors are allowed to use if they are so dissatisfied with their project they don't want their real name to be associated with it.

It's the only pseudonym the Directors Guild of America allows, and this came about with Death of A Gunfighter in 1968-69. Lead actor Richard Widmark was displeased with Robert Totten's work and had him replaced by Don Siegel. This resulted in a dispute where neither director wanted to take credit for the film, and the DGA decided to credit the fictional name "Al Smith", but it was deemed too common and was changed to Alan Smithee.

(it's also an anagram of "The Alias Men")

Alan Smithee has "directed" dozens of films (like Hellraiser IV or Heat and Dune for their TV editions) and TV shows as well (MacGyver's pilot episode, The Twilight Zone's "Paladin of the Lost Hour" episode) ... and some music videos as well (I Will Always Love You, which I just learned was directed by the very talented wildlife photographer Nick Brandt). There are also a few examples amongst comic books and video games.

Last edited by Saniss (2018-11-22 15:50:21)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alan Smithee doesn't seem to be an anagram of Alias Men. Am I missing something?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whoops, meant The Alias Men.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tragically, Alan Smithee died in 1999 after completing An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn .

It seems almost inevitable in retrospect, but a 1999 black comedy about Hollywood - in which a director named Alan Smithee wants his name off a movie but the only permissible pseudonym is "Alan Smithee" - ended up being an actual Alan Smithee film when Arthur Hiller wanted his name off it. 

This Alan Smithee singularity led the DGA to end Smithee's career - the whole point of Smithee had been to hide behind-the-scenes disagreements from the public.  But it had become common knowledge that a Smithee credit meant the real director had disowned the movie, pretty much defeating the purpose.   

He's had credits since but only as an in-joke, not as an official DGA-sanctioned credit.  It's not clear yet whether Smithee has had an official successor or if disgruntled directors can now just pick whatever name they want.

Dogs have been banned from Antarctica since 1994.
Per international agreement, all non-native species (except us) have been removed from the continent.

Froot Loops come in many colors but they all taste the same.
Presumably they taste like 'froot'.

Sideburns were named after general Ambrose Burnside.

I would've never guessed that one. "Sideburns" seems like a perfectly natural name for hair that grows on the sides of the face.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Froot Loops come in many colors but they all taste the same.

Fun fact: So do humans.

https://media.giphy.com/media/R6DRohtmrCf9m/giphy.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

There was a time when America's Nuclear deterrent could have been train based

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacekeeper_Rail_Garrison

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're too good to me.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fun for no one... I'm leaving this here. Thee best audio drama ever (second to THD ofcourse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwY9th-vmNY

There is some.. nay lots of irony that it was broadcast on BBC radio 4.

Last edited by Regan (2018-12-10 12:18:32)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Tomatoes have about 7000 more genes than your average human being.

Christopher Plummer was born in the same year as Martin Luther King Jr. and Anne Frank.

The ludicrously long name for someone for reads in bed is "librocubicularist."

Children of identical twins may be cousins but genetically they are actually half-siblings. 

If you Google search the word "Askew", the result page will be titled to the right. 

Mr. Potato Head was the very first toy to be advertised on TV, in 1952.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Woah. thats a lot to take in in such a short period of time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

If you Google search the word "Askew", the result page will be titled to the right. 

You know, from a corporation/monopoly/business viewpoint, Google is dangerous, but the team taking care of the actual website are freakin' cool people.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I just learned this one and I think it works best in riddle form...

What do King George VI, Judy Garland, Queen Mary, Jimi Hendrix, Winston Churchill, and Bon Scott of AC/DC have in common?

SPOILER Show
They were all embalmed by the same man.

Desmond Charles Henley began his career at JH Kenyon Ltd, the official undertakers of Britain's Royal household, and over time he became sort of an "embalmer to the stars".

There are many causes for the French Revolution; one of them may be… a volcano in Iceland.

On June 8, 1783, The Laki volcano in Iceland cracked open and erupted for eight months, spewing an estimated 120,000,000 tons of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere. In addition to wiping out 80% of the country's sheep and around 20% of the Icelandic population through famine and poisoning, it resulted in a huge haze that spread over western Europe for months. This disrupted weather cycles; there were droughts, floods, and the following winters were particularly harsh. All this led to terrible famines, including in France where it helped worsen the situation of the population in the years preceding the 1789 uprising.

Last edited by Saniss (2019-01-07 10:02:39)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss gets me to help him write his forum posts at work

He also neglected the opportunity to say the volcano "sparked" the revolution.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

You’ve just won the thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

for audiophiles

A dual SM57 microphone setup has been used for every Presidential inauguration since Lyndon B. Johnson. That is until Donald J. Trump's which used just one.

Shure sells the configuration as a kit called the SM57VIP or, more aptly named, 'The Presidential Kit'. Though one of the SM57's used for inaugurations was hollowed out and a surruptitious Shoeps condensor microphone was inserted to give mix engineers more choice.

Shure's 'Presidential Kit'

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/styles/nodeimage/public/blogs_2017/01/trump_obama.png?itok=2dUh4Zt3

Last edited by Regan (2019-01-09 12:00:54)

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

The Russian town of Oymyakon is one of the coldest inhabited places on Earth with winter temperatures often going as low as -65°C (-85°F) ; in fact, it gets so cold there that recent studies show temperatures tend to increase with altitude.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Britain has an authority to check claims from people, or their heirs, who lost property during the Nazi era, which is now held in UK national collections. known as The Spoliation Advisory Panel.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Contrary to cinematic convention, ancient civilizations did not use slaves to row their galleys, save for possibly the Egyptians

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down